rirwin1983 - scam continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post # 7 in that thread was:
"i came across 2 more 622's, so i have sold a total of 3, and have 2 left, and still have the 311 and d100.2 to sell and 2 dp34"

Until that time, he listed only one 622, and when asked by P Smith if he sent the 622 to the ONE GUY that paid, LER responded, saying he had received it. However, everybody's flags should have been raised when later that day Stargazer said that he bought a 622 last week, as well.

That was well AFTER everyone had already sent their money. P Smith was asking about MY 622, not LER's. LER just happened to respond saying he had received his, which is when the flags started to go up. AGAIN, that was WAY AFTER he had already taken money from multiple people. NOBODY knew anything until AFTER they had paid.

What part of this do you NOT understand?

Considering he only had one for sale the week before, something was obviously fishy.
Anybody that got ripped off by sending him money after reading Stargazer's post almost deserves their fate.

[DUH]. Had that been the case, then sure, but the fact is, as you can clearly see for yourself reading what you posted above, it was AFTER everyone had sent money. irwin posts for sale, people send emails and buy the 622 not knowing he had already sold it, because he said he still had it, quite a while later P Smith asks about MINE having been shipped, LER responds saying he received his (thinking maybe P Smith was asking about his), flags go up and I start inquiring about how it's possible that he sold me the 622 when LER was saying he received it already, irwins response via email was something about having 3 of them and having only sold 2, then Stargazers post appears saying he too bought one, so that puts up MORE flags, then irwin posts saying he had more, trying to cover his ass and buy more time. Then I started posting about it, and others started to come out of the woodwork saying they too had lost money in the same way. Stargazer posted after finding out that LER already received the 622, because he had already sent irwin money and realized something was not kosher. SEE A PATTERN HERE? There was NO INDICATION of a problem until AFTER people sent money. If it was before, nobody would have ever posted saying they were worried! [/DUH]

The thing that really amazed me was how everybody was fawning on the guy after he said he was in an accident. "Get well, Rirwin." "I hope everything's OK" "Just send the stuff, when you're feeling better and have the time." "Can I bring you some soup?" I'm exagerating, of course. But, it might have well have said those things.

There was a logic in that. Acting kind and trying to show sympathy to his situation was an attempt to make him feel like we believed and accepted his excuse, and that we were going to forgive him if he actually gets our stuff out like he promised. All the while we assumed it was nonsense, and that we'd either get a whole lot of nothing, or possibly merchandise that was not what we asked for. It allowed us to monitor him, and keep him close, so he wouldn't try to RUN. This way we had more ammunition against him when legal action is taken. Do you get it now? Do you see how simple things can be if you follow along and think just a little bit about everything?

I'm not being harsh. What he did was wrong. But, falling for this guy's BS was just as wrong. He was not that good at it.

Again, your idea of the situation is inaccurate, you apparently cannot follow along, and understand things as they have been repeatedly explained to you. Everything appeared quite normal when money was exchanged, then AFTER that money was exchanged things changed. NOBODY, as far as I'm aware, sent irwin money AFTER the flags went up. SIMPLE AS THAT.

Now, on a slightly better note, paypal ruled in my favor as well, and recovered PART of my money so far. Playing nice may have worked.

I don't believe I was "fawning" over his excuse of an accident.

Matter of fact here is what I posted after he talked about his accident
satinkzo said:
Eventhough I got my stuff ok. I don't llike how the facts and statements don't co-incide.

Especially the emails and shipping info and actual shipping. People can deal with stuff when they are informed. Not knowing and not getting responses is the worst. Everyone has a personal life, but after money is involved, it becomes serious.

RIR, I'm sorry, while you may have and accident and I hope everything is ok, but correspondence and activity that people have gotten from you shows that you could have easily taken the time to respond and send out info. You took time to respond to others but not people who already sent money.

Biggest rule in any transaction is it's easier to keep a customer then it is to gain one (not dish's model obviously).

I really hope this experience with the people involved and the people who read it have not put a damper on the classifieds section here. I use this section alot to buy and sell and I really hope that in the future when I go to sell, I don't lose potential buys who might now be somewhat turned off by this situation. We can have thousands of good transactions and 1 bad one, everyone remembers the bad one.

It remains a fact, that many people bought stuff and then rirwin edited with more stuff and by that time, people like me had received some stuff and it made it seem ok and stuff was getting shipped but slowly. It bought him more time IMO to get money out of paypal. I don't think anyone here bought anything after it seemed fishy, but by then it was too late for a few members.

Garypen, you seem very different lately, very aggressive and confrontational (not just in this issue)

Last edited:
If only you had your information and timeline straight, and would pay attention to what I (and others) have repeatedly told you.

irwin posts 8/11/07 with stuff for sale
8/12/07 he apparently revised the post to remove some items that were sold, but still had a 622 listed.
8/11-etc some posts saying that pm's were sent, but no indication of any sale
8/15-8/17 emails exchanged, payment sent (by me).
8/17-8/20 emails and pm's sent asking to confirm receipt of payment, and to provide tracking #, etc..
8/22/07 p smith posts asking if the 622 has been sent to the guy that paid (that guy would be me).
8/22/07 LER posts saying he has received the 622. That raises flags immediately for me, because I had already sent money last week as well.
8/22/07 i send more emails and pm's inquiring about this, and about the lack of response. I also sent some fake emails inquiring about if he still had any 622's and he claimed he did, which raised more flags (why would he not respond to me asking about my purchase, but he'll respond in minutes to a different email saying that he still had it available for sale?). Sent more emails asking how he could sell to me when it appeared he already sold the 622 to LER. He responds with a message about having more than one available.
8/22/07 irwin posts again claiming he has sold 3 but has 2 left, raising more flags. Obviously covering his ass because he knows I'm suspicious and probably going to post about it.
8/22/07 stargazer posts saying he too sent money and was waiting.
8/23/07 SatinKzo posts saying he bought some items and received them. This makes you think that POSSIBLY the guy is just backed up and may come through, since this is the 2nd person that has said they purchased and received items without any problem.
8/23/07 I posted with my concerns, and stated that I too had paid him the previous week.
8/23-now more people post or pm saying they too had paid a week earlier and were waiting. The scam is fully revealed.

Now, look at that, and tell me how people that paid quite a few days EARLIER were supposed to see anything suspicious in rirwin1983 PRIOR to their paying. There was NOTHING SUSPICIOUS PRIOR TO PAYING! PERIOD. He was a member in good standing prior to THIS!

Now, how about you take your comments elsewhere since they contribute NOTHING to this thread, and only serve to exacerbate the situation?

You have done nothing but spread accusations and blame towards those of us that lost money, as if we are WIZARDS and were supposed to see into the future and realize a scam was coming. Your information is WRONG, and all you're doing is repeating something that is OBVIOUS, about using credit cards, even though MOST of us involved stated that we DID use credit cards (other than stargazer apparently, but he felt protected by paypal and their assurances). You're beating a dead horse!

If you claim you saw something suspicious BEFORE money was exchanged, you're full of IT!

My vote is we remove GaryPen from the site, not RIRWIN1983. Gary does just as much or more damage with his inflammatory comments. I'd contribute to his removal. ;)

In a way, I am. Just like the victims of any number of scams you see on the news. I'm sure that almost every one of you, at one time or another, has nodded your heads in disbelief that people could be so easily scammed, when watching a news report about someone giving some stranger money outside of their bank, or somesuch.

I read that original "classified" thread, from post #1, not knowing about all of the scam posts later on. And, as I kept reading, and seeing suspicious from the seller right from the start, I was not surprised in the least that people were scammed.

So, in this case, yes, I do partially blame the scammees for letting themselves get taken. And, I totally blame those who were taken that didn't use a credit card, and thus, gave themselves no protection at all. That's like having sex with a stranger, and not using a condom.

BTW, it goes both ways. Sellers should never ship to anything but the verified PayPal address. Buyers can scam sellers, too.

Must be something. There's definitely more aggression recently.

PayPal told me they couldn't get me ANY money! I wonder how come they can get you some of the money but can't do anything for me? Was it due to you using the card? I had a guy on ebay not send me an item (after not receiving my 622) but I used the card and they reimbursed the entire amount.

The message I got was that he had some funds in his account, so they were able to retrieve part of my money. Basically it was the portion of the money that was charged to my American Express though, the rest that I haven't recovered yet was from paypal balance. Unfortunately some deals don't allow you to totally fund them by credit card through paypal, unless you use the Paypal plus credit card, so it will first take your existing balance and use it, and whatever more is needed they charge to the card you choose to use. So, in my case I had a small balance from a previous transaction, and wanted to use my amex for the remainder, for the protection, and because it gets me reward points, and I have a zero APR as well.

I hope that someone has gotten somewhere with legal action against this jerk though. I would think by now the cops would have done SOMETHING. I would also think his probation officer would have violated him for this, and he'd get additional charges or get locked up again.

Oh well, if this is the only real bad transaction I have for the rest of the year, I'll be happy. I'm sure something will go wrong around X-mas though. LOL

If he gets funds in his account again after they closed my dispute and tell me that they could not get any funds, could they get me some or all of that money that gets put into his account or are they not going to help me since he did not have funds in the account at the time? I wouldn't think that he would use that account again.

I'm sure Paypal has a "watch" on his account and as soon as any money goes into it, they snatch it. If he has any brains, he'll never put another penny in there.

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't everyone gotten their money back?

I doubt the local police are going to go after him; if anyone does, it will be Dish. But they seem preoccupied with the whole buyout thing... :(

FatBastard said he got some of his money. Stargazer is "wondering" what's going on and I believe he's another one who lost money. stuart628 hasn't mentioned recovering any money either.
I doubt the local police are going to go after him
stuart628 stated that "the state attorney, and detectives" were after him.

The escape the law he had moved to a different town. But our SatelliteGuys detectives have found his new address and have forwarded the information along to the authorities. :)

That's good to hear. :)

Wasn't there something brewing here behind the scenes though? I'm referring to a couple posts where you mentioned a "little surprise" (http://www.satelliteguys.us/1034912-post40.html) and "some movement" (http://www.satelliteguys.us/1043901-post114.html). I don't mean to intrude too much, especially since I wasn't involved in any of it. But I never like to see anyone think they can get away with cheating/stealing/lying/etc.

At any rate, I am glad you guys are still checking up on the little prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts