rirwin1983 - scam continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds as though PayPal is very difficult to work with when it comes to these situations. What other companies do you guys recommend for sending money to someone? I have used PayPal in the past, but I don't want this hassle if the seller is a thief.

It sounds as though PayPal is very difficult to work with when it comes to these situations. What other companies do you guys recommend for sending money to someone? I have used PayPal in the past, but I don't want this hassle if the seller is a thief.
I'd go ahead and use paypal, but use a credit card to fund the transaction as opposed to your bank account. That way you have all the credit card protections.

In situations where I am leery of the seller, I'll also ask them to list the item on eBay with a Buy-it-Now. That way I can use the ebay insurance (haven't done this in awhile now though... now that they are ebay/paypal, it probably sucks no matter which company to try to collect though)

Paypal is still probably one of the best options, but as others mentioned, use your credit card (if you have one) so you can use their own protection if it comes down to it. I have just been waiting for paypal to determine the outcome of my complaint, and see if they somehow get lucky and recover the funds from the seller, BEFORE I file with the credit card company. If paypal can't get it, I'll get my CC company to do it.

The only problem with doing this is, paypal tends to get mad, and they have been known to suspend or cancel accounts of users that do it. I prefer not to have this happen, because paypal is a huge part of my business, and I can't really afford to lose them right now.

There in Arizona don't it stay warm there year round? In most states it doesn't so they can only do that in certain areas. I think having the prisoners live in tents is a great idea on how to save money and have more space for prisoners. That would be a cheap way to keep prisoners I'd think, and if it was out in the middle of nowhere they could be found and captured easily if they escape.

AZ has the most days of sunlight in the U.S., and it does tend to be warmer year round, but we do get our cold spells, and we do get snow and bad weather, especially the further north you go in the state.

I'm sure that is one of many reasons most states don't try the tent city methods, but some places don't because they are afraid of what people might think, and afraid they'll be sued for violating the inmates rights. Uh, hello, they lost their rights when they got locked up. :)

If you don't mind making honest people angry, you can file a dispute within the first couple of days after paying. Then the money is locked in their account and cannot be removed until the complaint is resolved ;)

Multiple misdemeanors don't make a felony. At most he'll be charged with multiple misdemeanors at the state level. Federal level may be different, but the Franklin County district attorney's office won't do any of that (out of it's jurisdiction).

As for restitution, more than likely, at this low level, the courts won't bother with dealing with it. You'll have to go to small claims court to get it back.

You are correct about the multiple misdemeanors not making a felony (too bad though huh?). However, I believe internet fraud is considered a felony, but I am not 100% sure on that one. Mail fraud is a Felony, but I'm not sure if it counts if the USPS wasn't involved, and that may be why the seller was sure to use UPS for his fake shipments, rather than the postal system. I have to check into that.

Actually the court may/should order restitution, however they won't physically take the money out of the sellers pocket and send it to us. They will make an order of restitution during the criminal trial, and then it's up to the seller to comply or not. If he doesn't, then we have to go after him through other channels to collect. We can file civil lawsuits, and he could also be arrested again for failing to comply to the order, and in some cases you can make sure it goes on his credit report.

Yes, it's a pain in the rear, and costly, to file against him and have to travel to appear, but sometimes it's just a matter of principle and not so much about money. :)

If you don't mind making honest people angry, you can file a dispute within the first couple of days after paying. Then the money is locked in their account and cannot be removed until the complaint is resolved ;)

Yep. That is one reason why as soon as I started seeing a problem I filed a complaint, hoping it would lock his funds in paypal before he could sneak away with them. I also told the others to do the same as quickly as possible, but I don't think it worked. I think he managed to get his funds before they could lock things down. I also think that when you file your complaint, they don't immediately lock unless you go ahead and escalate your complaint, and in the early stages they first contact the seller and try to get proof that the seller shipped, which is also why this seller/scammer submitted tracking information to paypal, so they wouldn't lock him out. That gave him time to pull the funds and close bank accounts if he wanted to.

It's not a real efficient system to say the least, but it's what we're stuck with for now I guess. lol

This guy probably knew he could get away with it since the law is not strict enough to get people for their crimes such as this and that it would be a lot of hassle to get the money.

I guess we are all out of our money and here he is still posting and coming onto this site and DBSTalk. Seems like there is no real easy solution to getting our money back either if we even can. This is definitely going to change the way I do business online.

Yeah, I have to contact AMEX if paypal doesn't recover my money. I'm platinum with AMEX, so I am quite confident that I'll get my money back one way or the other. I just hoped to get a proper refund rather than having to jump through hoops.

I am considering following the seller everywhere he posts, and responding to his messages with things like "so, are you scamming people here too?", and "when are we going to get our refunds for the 622's you sold us and never delivered".

Maybe if we shadow him enough he'll start to pay more attention. You'd think a 24 year old guy would have more sense and decency than he does!

Make a few calls to his house and see if you can get the parents to acknowledge that he's got problems. That may be enough to implicate them in the legal mess... then submit a small claim against him and them... get a judgement... and put a lien on their house... eventually force an auction - HOA's force auctions for "trival" amounts of unpaid fines/dues/etc.. why not you!?

Make a few calls to his house and see if you can get the parents to acknowledge that he's got problems. That may be enough to implicate them in the legal mess... then submit a small claim against him and them... get a judgement... and put a lien on their house... eventually force an auction - HOA's force auctions for "trival" amounts of unpaid fines/dues/etc.. why not you!?
He's 24 years old so his parents have NO legal responsibility for his actions. Unless his name is on the mortgage or deed, no one can put a lien against the house.

He's 24 years old so his parents have NO legal responsibility for his actions. Unless his name is on the mortgage or deed, no one can put a lien against the house.
If he is living in their house (which someone suggested), and they have reason to believe that he is committing crimes, then they are an accessory to the crimes by allowing him to continue to knowingly commit the crimes and not reporting them. I know it's a stretch, but I do believe that there may be enough merit to make the argument. All you need is a reasonable argument, a judge that understands where you're heading, and no resistance from the defendant (i.e. because it's a small amount in another state's court), and it could happen.

If he is living in their house (which someone suggested), and they have reason to believe that he is committing crimes, then they are an accessory to the crimes by allowing him to continue to knowingly commit the crimes and not reporting them. I know it's a stretch, but I do believe that there may be enough merit to make the argument.
No merit whatsoever. He's an adult, so unless it can be proven that they helped him during the crime, then they are responsible for nothing.
You could only go after he's assets, which seem to be none.

...and they have reason to believe that he is committing crimes, then they are an accessory to the crimes by allowing him to continue to knowingly commit the crimes and not reporting them. I know it's a stretch
Yes, it is a stretch... Nice thought though ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)