rirwin1983 - scam continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow there webby, lets not get carried away, that would put me back another 200 to talk to a lawyer ;)

Wow! You've got cheap lawyers. It seems that around here, if you asked one how much it would cost to ask him a question, he'd say "Well, that one cost you $500." ;)

That's exactly it. As much as it would cost to sue and pursue him, he knows he can get away scott free. Even if you win you could still get nothing but a lawyer bill and be out even more than what you lost from him. Important lesson learned, can't trust people online when having to pay in advance for something. Got to have additional protection. Being a longtime member on these boards and a pub member is no longer good enough in my book to trust someone on here. That is a shame that it has to come to that.

Before I made my purchase, another longterm member or two on the board mentioned that they received their items and that helped me make my decision on whether or not I should make the purchase. That makes it even tougher for now on because now I have to think that just because they sent someone else their stuff don't mean they are going to send me mine or do the right thing. It makes it that much harder on everybody that tries to buy or sell on here.

yep, I was one of the people who bought stuff from him and actually received what I paid for and in a somewhat timely manner.

But now, I see how anyone who's followed this is going to be leary. Hell, it makes me mad since I liked the classifieds here (avoid ebay fees etc) for buying and selling. I've sold and bought quite a few things here and I know now I will be leary if someone is a new seller and I know others are going to possibly have 2nd thoughts buying from me eventhough I have never had any problems that I can control (USPS is my nemesis).

It's almost like I feel I have to say in anything I sell that I promise (fwiw) to not take money out of my paypal account until buyer is satisfied.

I notice good ole Rirwin has not dared to post since all of this happened, but he does visit several times a day.

Wow i am sorry to here that this is still not resolved, I sell items on here and even sold a item to one of the members that has been taken for his money by this bone head.

When i sell something on here i update my ads with sold and the day it was shipped heck it was nice to see that the last 2 items i sold the person buying left a replay about his item after he received it.

I do see a lot of valid points here from some of the members and some not so valid but one thing i can say is good luck with PayPal i use to use them as i have a remodeling company and had lost a bunch of cash from the way they do bussiness i use a different credit card prossesor now and dont have that problem.

Well i do wish all of you good luck with getting your money back and i would just contact your credit card companys and get your cash back and let PayPal deal with mister irwin.

It sucks that people can take hard earned money from another person and have no conscience about screwing them over or not delivering what they paid for and lie about it.

There's always going to be people who think they can beat the system at someone else's expense. But in the end, they will learn a lesson. I believe in karma. And karma's a bitch! :D

As soon as this guy announced he suddenly had access to more DVR's, the alarm bell shoulda gone off with you people. (The first one he was selling was supposedly his or a family member's, right?) It was blatantly obvious from that post that his ham wasn't kosher.

And, anybody that makes a purchase through PayPal with anything but a credit card, from someone they do not personally know, is not using their head.

When I pointed out the absurd level of blind trust being exhibited in the original "for sale" thread, people got on my nuts. Well, I'm not out $200, am I?

I'm not saying to distrust everybody. I am saying to stay alert, be careful, and use your heads. What you folks did was just like handing some guy on the street $200 who promised to be right back with a satellite receiver for you. (It's in the trunk of his car, which is parked around the corner. Really.)

Good point Gary, I always use a CC with Paypal, never direct cash. I do it for the exact reason of having another recourse should something go wrong.

Of course, I didn't buy a receiver, just some parts and pieces (DPP44 and D1000.2 with LNB) on the day he posted the ad. I never even noticed till fat bastard posted about his issues that he had updated with more receivers. That was definately a flag.

Almost seems as if he had a semblance of a plan:

Sell some stuff, ship it out to the first people who will then say "I got stuff from him no problem from this ad" and it bought him some more time.

However, I don't think he counted on so many people getting involved and yes, it does really suck that someone can steal and not think twice about it.

Let him watch. I have been working with a few "Agencies" and with the combined complaints and a few other factors which I can't share publiclly I believe Mr Irwin will get a little surpise in a little bit.
How did that turn out ?? You haven't updated here....

On another note, his eBay account is done: http://myworld.ebay.com/raienterprisesllc/

He's sold LNBs and even another DP34. Interesting how he gets these, you know, from being a cook at Bob Evans.

Also, in a listing from a couple of months back, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140122658914, he has this notice:
On May-31-07 at 17:56:50 PDT, seller added the following information:

DO NOT SEND ANY PAYMENTS VIA PAYPAL; WE ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH OUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT BEING COMPROMISED. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVIENCE. PLEASE MAIL IN ALL PAYMENTS. ITEMS PAID VIA PAYPAL WILL NOT SHIP!

I have a feeling that was just a bunch of smoke being blown in an attempt to scare the guy into making things right.
Not exactly...

There are some things going on that I have been asked not to talk about.

Lets just say some movement is being made. :)

Thats about all I can say though.

As soon as this guy announced he suddenly had access to more DVR's, the alarm bell shoulda gone off with you people. (The first one he was selling was supposedly his or a family member's, right?) It was blatantly obvious from that post that his ham wasn't kosher.

And, anybody that makes a purchase through PayPal with anything but a credit card, from someone they do not personally know, is not using their head.

When I pointed out the absurd level of blind trust being exhibited in the original "for sale" thread, people got on my nuts. Well, I'm not out $200, am I?

The thing is, he DIDN'T say he got more BEFORE taking our money, so your comments are completely inaccurate and unwarranted. There was nothing blatantly obvious that his ham wasn't kosher, until AFTER we sent payments. Or at least that applies in my case. I am the one that OUTED him so to speak (Stargazer was the first to post saying he was waiting on his, and it "must be in transit") .

AFTER paying him, and not getting any response for a couple days, I sent a message to the group to try and get some help. I also sent some other emails to the seller using a different email account, inquiring about whether he had this item still. He immediately responded saying yes, so I emailed back AFTER saying "I see on the forum that someone else claims to have purchased this item already, care to explain this", and THAT is when he claimed he had more, and at that point he tried to cover his ass on here by posting that he had multiples. So, with a fairly good standing here, and this being a pretty well respected forum with good members, and with MOST people in the world being honest, and no previous negatives on him, I trusted him. It was quite normal. Nobody knew until AFTER that he was trying to pull something.

In fact, the fact that others had already said that they had bought from him strengthened the idea that he was honest, and would come through.

Unfortunately he didn't.

There is ALWAYS some level of "blind trust" when dealing with ANYONE. There is no two ways about it. You either trust, or you don't buy anything, ever. You must NEVER buy anything, and let others do your shopping for you or something.

You keep harping on this "anybody that makes a purchase through PayPal with anything but a credit card" crap, like you aren't paying attention to the thread. I don't think ANYONE involved said they DIDN'T use a credit card. In fact, I specifically stated, on more than one occasion that I needed to contact AMEX if paypal can't recover the funds first. Others have said the same thing if I recall correctly.

Obviously you are only here to further exacerbate the problem, and want only to annoy and berate those that lost money. I'm starting to think you might be related to the seller, and are trying to place the blame on everyone else.

Last edited:
Bank America is suing him for $13k as of 9/5/07. He's in a world of sh*t at the moment....

No new criminal charges against him yet.

How did that turn out ?? You haven't updated here....

On another note, his eBay account is done: http://myworld.ebay.com/raienterprisesllc/

He's sold LNBs and even another DP34. Interesting how he gets these, you know, from being a cook at Bob Evans.

Also, in a listing from a couple of months back, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140122658914, he has this notice:

Yeah, I'm sure after being outed and having his website, and his ebay account name spread all over, he can't do business using that info anymore. Actually eBay probably shut him down due to the complaints through paypal, to protect themselves from any further scam damage.

I too remember seeing a post where he said he was a cook, but he also posts here and elsewhere quite a bit about being a satellite installer, which explains how he gets his hands on the dish equipment to sell. I have no doubt he's still around and pulling more scams, although he might be laying low for a bit. I believe he's currently on probation for theft, so adding these new charges of theft and internet fraud, interstate trafficking, etc., he may not be a happy camper very soon. Violating his probation is bad enough, but doing it under the same or similar circumstances to what GOT him probation makes it that much worse.

I just hope he gets what's coming to him, and if I have anything to say about it, he WILL. We're working on several angles, and waiting for more information from the FBI, and his local PD. He screwed with the wrong people in the wrong places.

In the midst of all these Matlock-type advices, has any of the offended parties (FatBastard or Stuart) sought the advice of an attorney to see what THEY recommend?

Two of my lawyers both suggested that for now I just continue doing what I have already been doing. Proceed with complaints and followups with the FBI, and his local police department, and also wait to see the outcome of the paypal investigation in hopes my money is returned. They also said to file a reversal with my credit card company if paypal fails to recover for me. They said it wouldn't really be logical to spend the money on having them work the case for me, since it is such a small amount of money. However, damages etc. could be awarded well exceeding the amount stolen, if we decided to pursue other avenues. Of course, in lawsuits there are NO WINNERS no matter what the outcome. I know, I've been involved in a couple, and we just finished one up a few months ago, which took darn near 3 years to complete (auto accident, my wife and myself being the plaintiffs).

It's great having several lawyers at your disposal. I'm in a civic club that has a few fairly high profile local attorneys as members as well, so we have friends in all the right places to say the least.

I too remember seeing a post where he said he was a cook, but he also posts here and elsewhere quite a bit about being a satellite installer, which explains how he gets his hands on the dish equipment to sell.

he is an installer and installs DirecTv

The thing is, he DIDN'T say he got more BEFORE taking our money, so your comments are completely inaccurate and unwarranted. There was nothing blatantly obvious that his ham wasn't kosher, until AFTER we sent payments.
Post # 7 in that thread was:
"i came across 2 more 622's, so i have sold a total of 3, and have 2 left, and still have the 311 and d100.2 to sell and 2 dp34"

Until that time, he listed only one 622, and when asked by P Smith if he sent the 622 to the ONE GUY that paid, LER responded, saying he had received it. However, everybody's flags should have been raised when later that day Stargazer said that he bought a 622 last week, as well.

Considering he only had one for sale the week before, something was obviously fishy. Anybody that got ripped off by sending him money after reading Stargazer's post almost deserves their fate.

The thing that really amazed me was how everybody was fawning on the guy after he said he was in an accident. "Get well, Rirwin." "I hope everything's OK" "Just send the stuff, when you're feeling better and have the time." "Can I bring you some soup?" I'm exagerating, of course. But, it might have well have said those things.

I'm not being harsh. What he did was wrong. But, falling for this guy's BS was just as wrong. He was not that good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)