Roamio OTA HD DVR - No longer on Tivo's Website

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
Had this on-line chat with Tivo after I couldn't find the Roamio OTA HD DVR on their website:

Joseph (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?27?:?50? ?AM): Welcome to TiVo Sales Chat! How can I assist you today?
Me (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?29?:?21? ?AM): I cannot locate the Roamio OTA HD DVR on your website. Is it discontinued?
Joseph (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?29?:?48? ?AM): We no longer sell the TiVo Roamio OTA DVR. However, the Roamio S DVR can use over-the-air antenna as well as both of our TiVo Bolts.
Joseph (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?30?:?39? ?AM): Is there anything else I can do for you today?
Me (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?31?:?02? ?AM): No thanks.
Joseph (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?31?:?23? ?AM): Thanks for using TiVo Chat today and have an incredible day!
Me (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?33?:?13? ?AM): Just to be clear, it's no longer manufactured?
Joseph (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?33?:?41? ?AM): I don't know if it is not being manufactured in Texas at all, I just know that TiVo Inc. is no longer selling them.
Me (?11?/?7?/?2015? ?10?:?33?:?58? ?AM): ok

Strange!

I'm just surprised that a unit introduced in January of this year is disappearing so quickly.
it was introduced September last year. I bought one the 1st day they came out (Sept 15th) from my local Best Buy (who at the time was the only one who carried it...not even Tivo did)

But like I say all the OTA unit is is a Roamio Baisc with the cable card slots removed

When you set it up it even still says "Cable" or "Antenna" (even though cable doesnt work)

Unless that was a Roamio Basic you got screwed. The Roamio OTA's were $49 new at Bestbuy and Tivo when they were first released, with either monthly or annual service additional. Then the $299 with lifetime sale started.
I am assuming it is the basic. All it says is tivo roamio cable and antenna enabled. I got it basically because i don't have to pay all then xtra video charges with the cable company. The only disadvantage of putting the antenna on it, the device only records up to 75 hours hd. The 49 dollar ota ones weren't in stock when I got this one.

I am assuming it is the basic. All it says is tivo roamio cable and antenna enabled. I got it basically because i don't have to pay all then xtra video charges with the cable company. The only disadvantage of putting the antenna on it, the device only records up to 75 hours hd. The 49 dollar ota ones weren't in stock when I got this one.

Ya that's not the one I posted or the OP was talking about that's why the $160 you paid seemed so out of line. Yours has the cable ability and does cost more. You probably did get a good deal on the cost of unit.

Reactions: Mr Tony
The new Bolt is what they are pushing ATM for Cable or OTA, there maybe an OTA only Bolt soon.

The Amazon $299 OTA deal is a steal for OTA only with Lifetime. Get em while you can.

Yes, rumors point to either an OTA version of the Bolt and/or a TiVo Bolt Aereo edition that does OTA only but includes streaming outside the home

My mistake. When I clicked on the lil picture I realized I had a different receiver. Sorry about that. Yours is the ota with the lifetime included for 299. Mine is a cable/antenna romaio. Also the lifetime recording was about 300 dollars seperate, My apologies

If you want more than 75 HD hours of recording, you can drop almost any drive up to 3TB into the Roamio and it will work. You will have to repair any cable cards and go thru guided setup again. The best drives to put in them are the Western Digital AVGP drives. I put a WD30EURX 3Tb in one of my Basics and just put another one in the OTA yesterday. Now 450hr of HD recording time :biggrin. I have a WD20EURX 2TB sitting on my desk to put in one of the other Basics.

Once football season is over, I will put Dish on pause and go back to OTA only and just the Tivo's and Mini's.

FYI if anyone wants a refurb OTA for parts or extra remotes, power supply or even to use on a monthly service plan. Woot has them for $25. 2 days left or until out of stock. I bought 3 roamio basics as refurbs from woot earlier this year and they have been fine. Looked and operated like new.

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/tivo-roamio-ota-digital-video-recorder-10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts