Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Rockies' minor leaguer Mike Jacobs becomes first player suspended for HGH
By Patrick Saunders
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/18/2011 08:53:57 AM MDT
UPDATED: 08/18/2011 12:29:00 PM MDT

Colorado Sky Sox first baseman Mike Jacobs became the first baseball player to test positive for the banned drug human growth hormone and was suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball today. The Sky Sox are the Rockies' Triple-A team.

In response to the suspension, the Rockies have released Jacobs.

According to the MLB commissioner's office, Jacobs is the first athlete in any North American professional sport to test positive for HGH.

Jacobs, 30, said that he took HGH to try to recover from injuries. He apologized today and said his decision was a mistake.

"A few weeks ago, in an attempt to overcome knee and back problems, I made the terrible decision to take HGH," he said in a statement. "I immediately stopped a couple of days later after being tested. Taking it was one of the worst decisions I could have ever made, one for which I take full responsibility. I apologize to my family, friends, the Colorado Rockies organization, Major League Baseball and to the fans. Now, as required by the minor league drug program, I will serve a 50-game suspension. After my suspension is completed, I hope to have the opportunity to continue my career in the game that I love so much.

The Rockies also issued a statement this morning.

"We were very disappointed to learn that Mike Jacobs had been suspended after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance," the statement said. "The Colorado Rockies have long been committed to eliminating the use of performance-enhancing substances from the game of baseball. We have fully supported the adoption and implementation of the Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Player's Association joint drug prevention and treatment program."

Jacobs' suspension was first reported by the New York Times.

"Jacobs provided the blood sample over the past few months and that sample was sent to a drug testing lab at U.C.L.A., which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency," the Times' story said. "Scientists there detected H.G.H. in his sample. It is illegal to possess the drug without a doctor's prescription."

The first baseman has played in 556 major league games, with stints with the New York Mets, Florida Marlins and Kansas City Royals, but had not appeared in the major leagues at all this season.

Jacobs' best major league season came in 2008 with the Florida Marlins when he hit 32 home runs and 27 doubles.

Jacobs was having a banner year with the Sky Sox, hitting .298 with 23 homers and 97 RBIs in 117 games.

"I'm trying to show baseball people that I don't belong in Triple-A," Jacobs told The Denver Post last week. "There are times when you think you've been forgotten. I want an opportunity to be remembered if not with the Rockies, with another big-league team."

Patrick Saunders: 303-954-1720 or psaunders@denverpost.com

Read more: Rockies' minor leaguer Mike Jacobs becomes first player suspended for HGH - The Denver Post Rockies' minor leaguer Mike Jacobs becomes first player suspended for HGH - The Denver Post

Sad to say, he's one of ours....

He's the first, but I'm sure not the last.....

I remember when Jacobs was part of a Marlins infield that ALL had at least 30 HR in the same season (Ramirez, Uggla and Cantu were the others).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)