Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
All,

Found a good deal on a 8 foot dish, dual C and KU lnbs, motor, and 4DTV receiver (920). I was considering trying to get the receiver just for some Ku channels off X-4,but want to figure out if the BUD dish will work.

My roof might be the only place that I can put the dish where it gets a clear LOS for the entire arc and where the wife will allow (if she does at all; ditching the wife is not an option :) )

Is there any roof mounting that anyone has seen before (pics?) and is it recommended? Wouldn't be doing it my self either (hire a pro; if I can find one in the area).

What mounts would you recommend? Only one that I saw was the LR-2 from Baird.

Any help, suggestions or pics that people can provide would really help.

Thanks!

I'd go with a long mounting pole down the side of your house, cemented in the ground and attached to the eaves. I'm sure there are roof mounts that distribute the weight and provide rigidity but I think a ground mount would be cheaper and easier. Have fun.

All,

Found a good deal on a 8 foot dish, dual C and KU lnbs, motor, and 4DTV receiver (920). I was considering trying to get the receiver just for some Ku channels off X-4,but want to figure out if the BUD dish will work.

My roof might be the only place that I can put the dish where it gets a clear LOS for the entire arc and where the wife will allow (if she does at all; ditching the wife is not an option :) )

Is there any roof mounting that anyone has seen before (pics?) and is it recommended? Wouldn't be doing it my self either (hire a pro; if I can find one in the area).

What mounts would you recommend? Only one that I saw was the LR-2 from Baird.

Any help, suggestions or pics that people can provide would really help.

Thanks!

If your roof is made of solid concrete and you can put some anchor bolts then you might think about putting the dish on the roof.

geez couldn't you imagine the wind getting up . your alseep bam hear something thinking someone is breaking in . next thing you know your looking out your window and see the dish. ahhhhh what an bad sight. lol

Up by our cabin there's a guy who has a 12 foot dish bolted ot the roof (only spot he has LOS)

Next time I go up I have to take pictures :D

for some reason our women will not let us have more than one sat... when i first put mine up. she said geez that thing is ulgy. why do you want it. get a little cute one to stick behind the chimmy to hide so no one see's it but you want the bigggg old ulgy one i said yes i like it i dont want a pizza dish haha maybe one day they will come around huh?

I have accutally seen one on a roof. However I would no recommend it.

Maybe on a carport or a patio roof. On anything structural you're asking for trouble.

I've done several 7.5 to 10' roof mounts, but you will generally have less headaches with a long pole up the side of the house.

I have one on the roof with a NPR and a ton of cinder blocks. It is technically over a patio roof as well, fwiw. However, the NPR to do it properly cost about 3x what the Dish does - and you better make sure your roof can support all those cinder blocks. It's pretty ridiculous if you scan these threads to see what people are putting on a NPR and thinking it will suffice - and I have even seen Gold Sponsors posting supporting it - so bottom line is - Caveat emptor.

http://www.bairdsatellitesupports.com/

For 2.4M/8 foot Dish:
http://www.bairdsatellitesupports.com/pdfs/PL-10.pdf

I wouldn't trust any NPR beside a Baird. There is a reason all the commercial companies use them. Who knows what you are getting with the cheaper crap and what it will really stand up to.

And just for reference, here is this - but I don't know anyone that would really use this - and no female that would ever allow it.

http://www.bairdsatellitesupports.com/pdfs/urm_ridgemount.pdf

Last edited:
Saw a neat roof installation where the homeowner attached the pole (3" Sch. 80 Galvanized pipe) thru a hole in the roof, down thru a wall below, and attached it to the house slab with a flange and concrete anchor bolts. The roof penetration was thru a regular plumbing flashing and has not leaked since installation. The pole looked like a tall vent pipe when it exited the roof. The installation was in a new constructed home and would be very hard to do to an existing structure. Although it could be easily installed over a garage or workshop.

You want the mount to cover as much area (sq. ft.) as possible, thus distributing the moments induced by the wind hitting the dish.

Would I put one on my roof? No.

You want the mount to cover as much area (sq. ft.) as possible, thus distributing the moments induced by the wind hitting the dish.

Would I put one on my roof? No.

I think this guy should post a picture of his roof from all angles

I think this guy should post a picture of his roof from all angles

Don't have anything on the roof except lightning rods. I just work with roof loading every day. The broader support area (tributary area) you have the more effectively the load can be transferred into the roof system and be dissipated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)