Roof replacement

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kattheaunt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
My aunt has D* and plans to have her roof replaced soon. She would like to know the best way to go about it in terms of her service. Does she need to call D* to have the dish removed or leave it to the roofers and just call D to replace it? Any idea how much it will cost her? Should she sign up for the protection plan first or would that not be covered?

Thanks!

Had my roof replaced 3 years ago, and thought the protection plan would take care of it, but I was wrong. I believe it only covers things like failures. I have been a customer a long time, and never used the protection plan, so they did send an installer out at now charge, as a good will gesture. I would not figure on that happening anymore since they are under new management. I really don't know of the best way to go about it. I guess I would call and ask them.

Reactions: kattheaunt
if she does not want to risk several days without service she may even want to call and request the dish be moved from the roof to the side of the house or a pole on ground before the roof work(if these are feasible). Last time we had a dish failure it took the local company 7 business days to get by my mom's house. She has had her pole replaced 3x over the years due to it rotting off and each time was similar delays. lesson learned there is don't put the pole where your saltwater pool discharges backwash! LOL

So we will not come out to remove it for the roofers... they may take it down. We can relocate it somewhere else if applicable but that will be an additional charge to you. If you have the roofers remove it for you then reinstall it for you, you can call for a service call to have it realigned since it will have been installed at that point. Just make sure the make everything level and tight. If they remove it and we need to completely reinstall it that again will be a charge to you. The charge should be 49.00...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

To clarify since I skipped a part.. if the roofers reinstall it, re aiming it will be considered a service call which is free with the protection plan.

Reactions: navychop
To clarify since I skipped a part.. if the roofers reinstall it, re aiming it will be considered a service call which is free with the protection plan.

Not sure about you but I'd much rather set it all back on the roof if that's where it's going myself. I hate seeing what roofers do to a mount 9 out of 10 times its the worse hack job I've ever seen lol

Yea I know... as a tech I agree.. thinking as a sup I'm going to tell cm how to beat policy to have it considered a service call. It's all in luck of the draw on the csr otherwise

Just mount it, aim it roughly in the right area, and call to complain you lost your signal. They're not going to know its a new roof.

Also, if I had a chance to do it over, I'd go with a gable mount.

Thanks everyone. If she ever got snow and ice on her dish the world is doomed. She's in the serious low desert. Although in the summer that idea sure sounds good. :)
We are not in the position to mount it ourselves so she will have to have D* do that. I'll talk to her about a pole mount. I think she has a handyman who could put a pole in and I've read here about the way to do it, I think I can find that info again.
Any chance she could watch the DVR programs during the downtime? Though I guess that would be too good to be true. She can catch up with DVDs or Netflix.

Thanks again.

Reactions: stardust3
Just mount it, aim it roughly in the right area, and call to complain you lost your signal. They're not going to know its a new roof.

Also, if I had a chance to do it over, I'd go with a gable mount.
Trust me, we can tell it's a new roof. There's tell tells everywhere when a roof is redone

Reactions: HIFI
Could she use the Movers deal, even though she's not really moving ?

Or, just accept the service call and have them come out and re install it.

Could she use the Movers deal, even though she's not really moving ?

Or, just accept the service call and have them come out and re install it.
I've actually seen them do movers connects just because the customer throws a fit not realizing they're agreeing to another 12 months. I would rather pony up the $49 for a service call and just have the dish moved to a pole, much easier for future visits and you're able to move snow off the dish if needed.

I've actually seen them do movers connects just because the customer throws a fit not realizing they're agreeing to another 12 months. I would rather pony up the $49 for a service call and just have the dish moved to a pole, much easier for future visits and you're able to move snow off the dish if needed.
Agreed ...

IF I had a choice, I would always choose to mount it OFF the house if possible.

Agreed ...

IF I had a choice, I would always choose to mount it OFF the house if possible.
Had one this morning. Guy wanted it in the same place the dish network was. I talked him out of placing it on the roof and threw a pole in the ground. I'd do a pole mount over a roof mount any day of the week

Pole mounts are susceptible to people, pets and being hit by mowers. I'd be concerned about alignment issues.

Pole mounts are susceptible to people, pets and being hit by mowers. I'd be concerned about alignment issues.
Depends on where you put it.
Roof mounts are susceptable to SNOW in the north.
At least when the snow comes down with a pole mount, you can walk out there and brush it off ...

My Dad years back went 4-5 DAYS without TV because we had no way to get to the dish on the roof. Snow and Ice.

These are issues without a doubt. I agree with Jimbo, it's all about placement. A well placed pole isn't going to have alignment issues due to weather.

3 yrs ago in the fall I moved a dish from the roof to the ground. They got a new metal roof. I put it where they told me they wanted it. That spring when they started mowing the lady hit the dish twice in the same month. 1st time the pole was slightly bent, 2nd time the arm on dish was completely broken off. Relocated it the last time and haven't been back since.

These are issues without a doubt. I agree with Jimbo, it's all about placement. A well placed pole isn't going to have alignment issues due to weather.

3 yrs ago in the fall I moved a dish from the roof to the ground. They got a new metal roof. I put it where they told me they wanted it. That spring when they started mowing the lady hit the dish twice in the same month. 1st time the pole was slightly bent, 2nd time the arm on dish was completely broken off. Relocated it the last time and haven't been back since.
That was HER fault, not yours.

Status
Please reply by conversation.