Router issue

Cranked

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
So I have Road Runner and I was using a router to hook up my pc and xbox to the internet. The other day I had a big storm here and a power outage. Ever since then, I can't get my router to work anymore. The lights come on normally (on the router) but I can't access it through my pc (using the ip address 192.168.0.1 like I used to). So, I assumed the router was bad and went upstairs and took the switch I had upstairs and tried that one instead and I have the same problem.

My question is, could the modem by screwed up even though it works without a router connected to it? Am I missing something here?

When troubleshooting go one step at a time.

1. When connecting the PC to the cable modem directly does everything work?
2. When connecting two PCs to the switch do they see each other?
3. Did you try a hard (factory) reset on the router? Are you sure 192.168.0.1 is the default IP?

Cable ISPs from my experience tend to blacklist MAC addresses for different reasons.
Disconnect the coax cable for at least a minute (that tends to reset the blacklist table).

Try different Cat5/6 cables.

Diogen.

1. Yes, I can connect either the pc or the xbox independently to the modem and they both work. Although, I do need to restart the modem each time I switch between the two.

2. I don't know I don't have two pc's. But, nothing works when I try using either router I have.

3. Yes, I held the little button in the back for 30 or so seconds. I don't remember 100% for sure of that IP address, but I am pretty sure.

I will try to unplug the coax and try. My whole house is already pre-wired so I can't easily try different cat 5/6 cables since I keep the router and modem in the basement next to the main box where all the lines come down to.

Thank you for the help.

Actually, I tried what diogen suggested by unplugging the coax for a minute and it worked. Thank you so much man I would have never tried that as a possible fix.

EDIT: Well, I spoke too soon. My pc works with the router now but my xbox still doesn't. Go figure. I will keep at it I guess.

1. Yes, I can connect either the pc or the xbox independently to the modem and they both work. Although, I do need to restart the modem each time I switch between the two.
That means
a) the modem works fine
b) you have to make him forget the MAC address (reboot) to make another device work
That would explain why the switch doesn't help: two devices request IPs from the modem at the same time while the modem can handle only one device at a time.
3. Yes, I held the little button in the back for 30 or so seconds. I don't remember 100% for sure of that IP address, but I am pretty sure.
Open the command prompt on the PC (while connected to the router LAN port, not WAN!) and type "ipconfig /all" without quotes.
If the IP address is something 169.xxx then the router doesn't work.
If it is 192.168.0.xxx then it does.

Diogen.

I've never had Roadrunner. Will it cost you anything to replace this? If so, try your local freecycle.org first. I had modem/router issues a while ago and needed a new one. A freecycle woman gave me two for free. One had never been used. You can find them at thrift stores too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)