2 360s
1 PS3
1 DirecTV HD DVR
5 computers
2 iPods
Wii
PSP
Comcast VoIP

Unfortunately it is being utilized by comcast internet. I obviously need some good QoS and help setting that up as well. 2 of the PCs play games, several torrents going while using the phone and Xboxs and the PS3. Yes, this stuff all gets used at the same time. Which is why I'm in a dilemma. Luckily, Comcast does provide enough speed, no matter how sh!tty their service is. What router should I get? Also, I'm going to need THREE adapters(one HAS to be USB, the other 2 can be PCI or USB). Should I get dual-band as well, seeing as I have several G products(iPods, PS3, PSP, Wii) along with N computers? I'd also like gigabit, but I think that is a given seeing the requirements I already have
laugh.gif
. I don't think my WRT54GS or DIR-615 will be up to the task of this monster of a network I'll be setting up. Unfortunately, I do not believe the house is wired for a wired network, and as it is rented, I cannot get it installed.

WRT54GS should be just fine. I used one to manage a network of 32 personal computers in Iraq, with all the people trying to do internet, email, video chat, voice chat, etc on a very limited speed connection. I basically gave QOS preference to the services that used the least amount of bandwidth, and let people be disappointed that their video chats ran at 1 frame per second (when I say limited I mean 512kbps down\128kbps up, very limited). As far as N versus G, you really won't see that much of a difference unless you plan to transfer a lot of files from one computer or device to another due to the slow speed of your comcast internet. Asking about G or N is like asking if you should get 20" or 40" water pipes in your house when your house is fed by a 1" feeder from the road. As far as QOS for your VOIP, since it is provided by comcast that should be handled inside the comcast cable modem. Also since you mention that you do a lot of bit torrent, etc. you should be aware that comcast will cut you off if you exceed 500GB of transfered data per month for 2 months in a row, so you'll want to watch yourself on that.

Well aware of their limits, unfortunately there is no alternative :(

I hear N is better due to range. The WRT54GS doesn't have a QoS engine for wireless. I've had it for about 5 years, and its done its job just fine, but I think I will need something longer range as well as wireless QoS. I'd also like gigabit lan for 360/PS3.

If range is ultimate problem then there is little the 54GS will do for you, but if the QOS is the bigger problem and you are tech savvy then you might have a look at putting dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/) on it. It greatly improves the abilities of the router, just make sure you check the version number first. It works best with v2.0 - v3.0 routers.

Well aware of their limits, unfortunately there is no alternative :(

I hear N is better due to range. The WRT54GS doesn't have a QoS engine for wireless. I've had it for about 5 years, and its done its job just fine, but I think I will need something longer range as well as wireless QoS. I'd also like gigabit lan for 360/PS3.
You could also just get a gigabit switch to add to your existing router. By hooking all your devices into the switch and then you router to the switch, they should all be able to talk to each other over gigabit, where it counts. It should matter that your internet traffic through the router is only at 100MB since I'm sure your comcast connection is much slower then that. This is the setup I have currently because I found a cheaper gigabit switch over at newegg.

As far as I know, the 360 doesn't have a gigabit NIC in it, only 100MB/s. At least that's what mine connects as. So it won't benefit from it anyway. Not sure about the PS3.

I like the DGL4300 from DLink that I have. It has a lot of built in QOS settings like for me Xbox is one and it made a huge difference over my WRT54GS that I had before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts