XP Remote Desktop

AllStarGuard

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Central Illinois
I should really know this question having worked with computers for a while, but am having a brain fart at the moment.....

If I remote desktop into an XP machine, can a user sitting at the machine locally see what is going on?

I have a PC at home that I connect to via Hamachi VPN. My account is always logged in locally. Can someone sitting there see me working on it when I am logged in over Remote Desktop (MSTSC)?

If this is the incorrect place for the question, sorry.

Right, remote desktop will take control and lock the local console, so someone sitting at the machine won't see anything. Unless they do a login, then you'll get kicked off and they will see your desktop until you reconnect.

Logmein.com will do the same thing (allow both remote and local access), and you can get a free account there.

Right, remote desktop will take control and lock the local console, so someone sitting at the machine won't see anything. Unless they do a login, then you'll get kicked off and they will see your desktop until you reconnect.
There is one exception to this, if the local user requests assistance from you via Windows Messenger (or MSN, or whatever the hell they feel like calling it this week) and you agree to assist via remote desktop, then they can see what you are doing. I used this to fix my parents this way all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts