RSN's HD no longer to be spot beamed ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
august, as in no more spot beams?

slightly off-topic but jimbo, i wonder if ohio state will get the overall number one seed in the big dance? and if they do, wouldn't it be a hoot if they lost to the gators in the championship game? i have a buddy at the local VA clinic who is frothing at the mouth, hoping this very scenario really does happen!!!

I just don't want to deal with changing addresses, I feel that I am close enough that I should get it with out any of that stuff needed to be done, after all EVERY D* employee told me that I would definatly get the FSN - D in HD because I already get the SD signal.

According to the engeneer at FSN, he said it will be up in August anyways, so I will just wait.

Jimbo

Hmmm...Thats ridiculous that their employees are teling you this. At the time FSD-HD was added to D* they put out a clear and concise announcement as to what counties would be getting the HD feed. Lucas county definitely wasnt included.

I remember calling them to check and make sure I couldnt get it up here in Northern Michigan, and they referred directly to that announcement, verbatim.

They were telling you this when you went to sign up for D*? Or they told you this after you already had D*? Just curious...

Hmmm...Thats ridiculous that their employees are teling you this. At the time FSD-HD was added to D* they put out a clear and concise announcement as to what counties would be getting the HD feed. Lucas county definitely wasnt included.

I remember calling them to check and make sure I couldnt get it up here in Northern Michigan, and they referred directly to that announcement, verbatim.

They were telling you this when you went to sign up for D*? Or they told you this after you already had D*? Just curious...

The problem is that most DirecTV employees have no idea about this kind of stuff. It's obvious they don't read even the releases/information sent out by their own company.
As I see it, the rule is pretty simple. Each RSN has a "home" city. Just one. If you get the MPEG-4 HD locals for that city you will get the full-time HD RSN, if there is one. If you don't get HD locals, no HD RSN. Nothing to do with whether you are in that RSN's home territory (which can cover multiple DMAs), nothing to do with the spotbeam coverage (which will normally be much larger than the DMA)

I just don't want to deal with changing addresses, I feel that I am close enough that I should get it with out any of that stuff needed to be done, after all EVERY D* employee told me that I would definatly get the FSN - D in HD because I already get the SD signal.

According to the engeneer at FSN, he said it will be up in August anyways, so I will just wait.

Jimbo

When the new sats are up, then I am sure you will get it. It's the same here in CT. I get the rsn's from NY and Boston, but none of them in hd.

I don't know some people are so certain that when the new sats go up, this problem will be solved. It should give directv no excuses why a rsn in hd can not be offered everywhere in a team's market area, but that doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon. It could be 6 months, a year, two years, who knows, we know nothing as directv subs.

I don't know some people are so certain that when the new sats go up, this problem will be solved. It should give directv no excuses why a rsn in hd can not be offered everywhere in a team's market area, but that doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon. It could be 6 months, a year, two years, who knows, we know nothing as directv subs.

I would call it a pretty safe bet that they will address the RSN HD situation very quickly when the new satts are ready. Directv has always been about catering to the sports fan, I highly doubt thats going to change.

No one here knows for a fact, this much is true. I think we all have enough common sense to know that the HD RSN's will be a top priority though.

TVBob-

Maybe if you read you would know why. DirecTV said so:

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels. With this substantial HD muscle, DIRECTV will offer three-times more HD programming than any other multi-channel distributor, with the majority of these channels launching in Q3.

"DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:

-- A&E -- National Geographic
-- Bravo -- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network -- SciFi Channel
-- CNN -- Speed
-- Food Network -- TBS
-- FX -- The History Channel
-- HGTV -- The Weather Channel
-- MTV -- USA Network

DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports.'

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=948332&highlight=

"DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports."

LOL, that hardly says specifically that mpeg 4 rsns will be expanded beyond their home cities. In fact, you can interpret that to mean simply that directv will be launching more rsns in hd, which of course is a good thing but not entirely relevant to this topic. As far as someone in California getting fulltime nesn hd though, I really don't see that happening for quite a long time. Too many licensing roadblocks even with enough sat capacity.

There is no official confirmation from directv that current mpeg 4 spotbeamed rsns will be expanded to other cities. It would make sense that they would do so as soon as possible, but as mentioned, directv doesn't always make sense with their practices.

"DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports."

LOL, that hardly says specifically that mpeg 4 rsns will be expanded beyond their home cities. In fact, you can interpret that to mean simply that directv will be launching more rsns in hd, which of course is a good thing but not entirely relevant to this topic. As far as someone in California getting fulltime nesn hd though, I really don't see that happening for quite a long time. Too many licensing roadblocks even with enough sat capacity.

There is no official confirmation from directv that current mpeg 4 spotbeamed rsns will be expanded to other cities. It would make sense that they would do so as soon as possible, but as mentioned, directv doesn't always make sense with their practices.

Like I was saying, its only common sense. No, I dont know anything for a fact, just as no one else does.

And Im not talking about anyone in California getting full time NESNHD, the chances of that ever happening are slim to none. Im talking about them making the HD RSN's available outside of the home DMA, for someone like that me that receives their hometeam SD RSN but not the HD version.

Yes, but I think many would wrongly interpret that part of the press release , especially "other hd programming" as directv saying rsns like yes, nesn would be available "around the country"....ie nationally. It doesn't say "around the regions", which would be more indicative of mpeg 4 expansion within team's regions, not around the country.

What I see perhaps happening is simply more out of market games in the sports packages being available in hd in the future, but not rsns made available nationally. RSNs would never agree to this, as many of the fox affiliates for example show the same programming, and they wouldn't want their subs having the option to watch it on another out of market fox sports rsn.

guess we'll know who is incorrectly interpreting the press release soon enough - and right now it could be either one of us. but my contact says that the RSNS will be conus as part of the HD national rollout when the new birds are lit.

btw, my contact is a very reliable source and has been pretty dead on in regards to the D* RSN-HD rollout.

I really don't see how anyone could read that as having anything to do with expanding spotbeamed rsns into nearby areas only getting sd versions currently, but sometimes people read what they want to read.

Most likely, as I mentioned, it either means more hd games nationally in the various sports packages, or fulltime rsns across the country, which is highly unlikely so the former is probably the intention.

I can just see now subs subcribing to expanded hd extra innings in the hopes of finally seeing their rsn in hd, only to forget about the lovely blackouts, sd or hd. Gotta love directv.

Again TVBob - who is pointing this at YOU. I have only posted what I have been told. You argued about NESN even coming on last year and were wrong. Feel free to troll.

Yes, but I think many would wrongly interpret that part of the press release , especially "other hd programming" as directv saying rsns like yes, nesn would be available "around the country"....ie nationally. It doesn't say "around the regions", which would be more indicative of mpeg 4 expansion within team's regions, not around the country.

What I see perhaps happening is simply more out of market games in the sports packages being available in hd in the future, but not rsns made available nationally. RSNs would never agree to this, as many of the fox affiliates for example show the same programming, and they wouldn't want their subs having the option to watch it on another out of market fox sports rsn.

Couldnt agree more, outside of a paid sports package (Sunday Ticket/MLBEI etc.) RSN's will proably never become available on a nationwide basis, in SD, HD or otherwise.

All I want is FSN-Detroit HD up here 250 miles north of Detroit where I get FSN-Detroit is SD.

I believe D* will rectify this situation very quickly one those satts are operational. I know they dont seem very bright sometimes in their operations, but to me this seems like a given..

We shall see I suppose..Ill make sure to bookmark this thread so I can say I told you so in the fall :) (Just teasing of course)

Yes, we will see, I'm sure it will happen eventually. But I don't think directv will even mention it in a press release as they are simply correcting an embarassing problem that exists now and shouldn't want to bring national attention to it.

Yes, we will see, I'm sure it will happen eventually. But I don't think directv will even mention it in a press release as they are simply correcting an embarassing problem that exists now.

Oh of course not, they wont announce anything. They might actually make money out of an official announcement :0 What sense would that make?

Oh of course not, they wont announce anything. They might actually make money out of an official announcement :0 What sense would that make?

Well, most likely, they have already made their money from unsuspecting subs who subcribed thinking logically everyone in the same rsn coverage area would get the same treatment.

Well, most likely, they have already made their money from unsuspecting subs who subcribed thinking logically everyone in the same rsn coverage area would get the same treatment.

I suppose they probably have, but I would think the ability to offer HD RSN's to an entire RSN viewing region would be a goldmine. Right now here in Michigan FSN Detroit HD is only avaialable on a very few cable systems outside of the Detroit area.

I despise D*, but I would move over to them in a heartbeat if they offered my beloved Tigers in HD, or even HD Lite.

I know at least 5 other friends in my small town of 40,000 that would move over to D* in a heartbeat also if they were getting Tiger/Wings/Pistons in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts