RSN's HD no longer to be spot beamed ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I suppose they probably have, but I would think the ability to offer HD RSN's to an entire RSN viewing region would be a goldmine. Right now here in Michigan FSN Detroit HD is only avaialable on a very few cable systems outside of the Detroit area.

I despise D*, but I would move over to them in a heartbeat if they offered my beloved Tigers in HD, or even HD Lite.

I know at least 5 other friends in my small town of 40,000 that would move over to D* in a heartbeat also if they were getting Tiger/Wings/Pistons in HD.

Your exactly right, why would they try to dupe people at the onset of the offering? Makes no REAL sense at all, its just ramble. They will make mega bucks when they go CONUS for the RSNS. And it is very close, believe me - its all on the launch and set-up of DIRECTV 10.

There is no official confirmation from directv that current mpeg 4 spotbeamed rsns will be expanded to other cities.

What would make more sense is to do what they are doing with their SD RSN, put them on a national beam, as HDs, and be part of the 150 Nationals. It would make their current RSN sports package subscribers with HD happier, and I am sure would encourage more to purchase the package.

What would make more sense is to do what they are doing with their SD RSN, put them on a national beam, as HDs, and be part of the 150 Nationals. It would make their current RSN sports package subscribers with HD happier, and I am sure would encourage more to purchase the package.

And guess what - BINGO. That IS the plan.

Wouldnt all pro games just be blacked out as they are right now in SD? I cant see that being a big draw really.

Wouldnt all pro games just be blacked out as they are right now in SD? I cant see that being a big draw really.

Yeah - they will be blacked out as before, but thats not the point. Once the RSNs are CONUS, they will be available with the MLB, NBA, and NHL packages. Those ARE big draws.

Yeah - they will be blacked out as before, but thats not the point. Once the RSNs are CONUS, they will be available with the MLB, NBA, and NHL packages. Those ARE big draws.

Oh yeah, I understand that. The person that mentioned it was referring to the RSN sports pack though, as near as I could tell...

I am sure they would be blacked out. But I for one don't subscribe to see the pro sports as I know they are blacked out. I enjoy many of the local shows of the regional sports networks. I used to live in New England and enjoy watching the locals shows on FSN NE and NESN.
For my pro sports I subscribe to Center Ice and MLB. It would be nice if they didn't black out, but that won't happen. If the RSNs were National HD then the CI and MLB packages should be in HD also. Most of those feeds for them come from the RSNs, except for some of the hockey games are from networks in Canada.

Last edited:
I really don't see how anyone could read that as having anything to do with expanding spotbeamed rsns into nearby areas only getting sd versions currently, but sometimes people read what they want to read.

I can't believe you don't see that the most efficent way to ensure that every market in an RSN coverage area has an MPEG 4 HD signal is by putting the HD RSNs on the national beams vice having to put a patchwork system of spotbeams to cover each market.

Most likely, as I mentioned, it either means more hd games nationally in the various sports packages

And just how do you think the sports packages get the SD versions of the games seen on the MLB EI, NBA LP and NHL CI? D* takes the RSN feeds and mirrors them on the sports subscription channels so its more convienent for those subscribers to find them. D* will do the same with the HD version of the RSNs.

I can just see now subs subcribing to expanded hd extra innings in the hopes of finally seeing their rsn in hd, only to forget about the lovely blackouts, sd or hd. Gotta love directv.

As the sports subscriptions are part time only, and have nothing to do with all the other programming on the RSNs, this assertion of yours is totally ludicrous. Are you being intentionally obtuse just to aregu or are you so dense you can not see the logical solution that is obvious to even the most casual observer?

I don't disagree with much of anything in your post, my only point was directv has not given any official word on this specific issue, and to assume the press release cited has anything to do with it, is a reach. The idea that directv would seek to rectify the situation in the way you propose is certainly logical, we just don't know anything for sure.

"As the sports subscriptions are part time only, and have nothing to do with all the other programming on the RSNs, this assertion of yours is totally ludicrous."

Why? This board is filled with posts from subs unaware of such blackout restrictions.

I don't really see your point here, they would not be subscribing to packages like extra innings for "other programming", but simply for games.

And the troll continuing to troll.

Yes, since directv has been so honest, terrific and timely so far in all aspects of their hd offerings, we should all assume they plan to address this issue soon without even an official statement on it. Directv deserves all the skepticism they get, especially when it comes to hd.

Yes, since directv has been so honest, terrific and timely so far in all aspects of their hd offerings, we should all assume they plan to address this issue soon without even an official statement on it. Directv deserves all the skepticism they get, especially when it comes to hd.

Well - at least you know who should have responded to my post. LOL.
:cool:

I don't really see your point here, they would not be subscribing to packages like extra innings for "other programming", but simply for games.

That's not what I read from the following:

I can just see now subs subcribing to expanded hd extra innings in the hopes of finally seeing their rsn in hd, only to forget about the lovely blackouts, sd or hd. Gotta love directv.
(Emphasis added)

Are you NOW saying you didn't say that, or that you didn't mean that, or that it all depends on "what the meaning of 'is' is."

Oh, I see... sorry to question you, Mr. Clinton... :rolleyes:

Oh, one thing more:

As you deserve all the skepticism you get, especially when it comes to...

oh, anything you say.

Please site all this, dishonesty and untimeliness you always speak of. and I am not talking about opinions or ignorant frivolous lawsuit claims; just facts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts