RSN's in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Matt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I am fairly new to DirecTV. I know people who have had it, but nobody I know has the Premier package. I ordered that with the NFL Sunday Ticket deal they had. Well, there are a bunch of RSN's in HD and I know of course that the games will be blacked out, but it seems like when I am flipping through the channels that they are blacked out even when there is non-game programming. I live in the Chicago area. The only channel I have been able to pick up in HD so far on the RSN's is NESN HD which seems to have good HD coverage across the board.

I also notice on the guide that it has movies for whats currently "on" for some of the RSN HD channels. I am very confused to the sports pack as I virtually have had no luck getting any programming. My brother also wanted to watch the Brewers pre game show and I could only get it on the standard channel. The HD channel had nothing as it was blacked out.

Can someone please explain to me all of this.

I have the Premier because for everything else I want it is the best overall value; I do not have it for the RSNs, although they provide the occasional gravy.

Blackouts will extend to all league/team owned content that is broadcast; not just the game itself. If you guys got the RSN Sport Pack to get any out of local market league programming without buying the league packages, then you are mostly out of luck. The league add-ons like MLB EI and NFL ST will get you the out of market games as you know, but are rarely if ever going to show the extra team programming (other than the network pre & post shows - FOX, CBS, etc).

I am not sure why some RSNs have movies but I guess its just other way to draw viewers when they have no game or related content. Guess movies beat info-mercials!

That is exactly why I don't have the Premiere package as it covers all these RSA's devoid of any real sports relative to each market. The beefed up HD-DVR plus plan is perfect for my viewing once I add my NFLST & all the movie channels. I did enjoy all the poker available on all the FSN channels but Poker is so saturated across many networks now. I know they used to include the DVR fee free of charge as part of the Primiere package but sadly this is gone too; though they grandfathered the ones who had it prior for free.

I have the Premier because for everything else I want it is the best overall value; I do not have it for the RSNs, although they provide the occasional gravy.

Blackouts will extend to all league/team owned content that is broadcast; not just the game itself. If you guys got the RSN Sport Pack to get any out of local market league programming without buying the league packages, then you are mostly out of luck. The league add-ons like MLB EI and NFL ST will get you the out of market games as you know, but are rarely if ever going to show the extra team programming (other than the network pre & post shows - FOX, CBS, etc).

I am not sure why some RSNs have movies but I guess its just other way to draw viewers when they have no game or related content. Guess movies beat info-mercials!
I don't see the sense in the sports pack for someone who wants to buy it. To me, it would be nonsense paying $12.99 a month for it. I guess its just a throw in with the Premier package, but its misleading when they say they have all these HD channels. Sure, they are the leader, but all these RSN's they count as overall HD channels, but really, your only getting the channel(s) that are in your market. Of course your not going to get the games, but I thought there would be a little more coverage such as showing pre game and post game content.

That is exactly why I don't have the Premiere package as it covers all these RSA's devoid of any real sports relative to each market. The beefed up HD-DVR plus plan is perfect for my viewing once I add my NFLST & all the movie channels. I did enjoy all the poker available on all the FSN channels but Poker is so saturated across many networks now. I know they used to include the DVR fee free of charge as part of the Primiere package but sadly this is gone too; though they grandfathered the ones who had it prior for free.
Yeah, once the 4 months is up I will definitely be going to the Plus HD DVR package. The only reason I have the Premiere is because we signed up for the deal they have where you get 4 months free if signing up for ST and honestly, I don't care much about HBO, Showtime, etc. They show movies which is nice, but I have the Blockbuster online plan and can rent Blu-ray movies so any movies that are shown on the premium channels are movies I have seen already.

There are SOME non-league RSN programming I guess that some people really do watch. I keep it because is about $11 more per moth to simply have it all and I really think it being on my bill that long may have led to plenty of promos and freebies being tossed my way. Some without asking.

i'm still pretty green with D here. my question is if i remove the sports pack will i still get my local RSN or will i lose that too? thanks for any response.

i'm still pretty green with D here. my question is if i remove the sports pack will i still get my local RSN or will i lose that too? thanks for any response.
Local RSNs are included in every package except for the Family package. You will still get your own local RSNs.

As far as I know you will still get it. I think you have to maintain the Choice package or higher to get your local RSN. Just make 100% sure you will get it. Go to this url - http://www.directv.com/rsn and put in your zip code to see what you get.

I recieve two rsn from Direct and both had just turned 24/7 hd about a month ago. Last night on one of them I saw replays of two college football games in hd. One of the games was not even on Fox Sports originally. It is nice to see that hey do have the capability to play back in hd. ( Unlike MTVhd )

This was the first non live game of any kind of hd I have seen on either one of my rsn.

I recieve two rsn from Direct and both had just turned 24/7 hd about a month ago. Last night on one of them I saw replays of two college football games in hd. One of the games was not even on Fox Sports originally. It is nice to see that hey do have the capability to play back in hd. ( Unlike MTVhd )

This was the first non live game of any kind of hd I have seen on either one of my rsn.

actually mtv is starting to show some HD :D finally!!!! not that i watch the channel but i know others do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)