RTN & AMC 9

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well I found out that some receivers are bad when it comes to knocking out adjacent signals

The Pansat 1500 can lock RTV no issues on my 76cm or 90cm. Today while working on a test run for another member I took the 6 footer and spun it over to 83W
Locked the test card (11775) at 99 quality
RTN locked at 45-49 quality
what was weird is if I moved the dish on the "scan TP" screen it would spike to 77 quality....woo hoo! until I scanned then it would get Leo even though I was at 11735 H 4340...so 6 Mhz off it scanned. Re-edited it to 11736 H 4440 and locked RTV at a max of 45-49 quality....cant get any higher than that

I saw 77 quality on 11735 H 4440 yesterday playing too, when I scanned Leo 1.
Wow on a 6 foot your only getting 45-49 that's sad, RTV is in the mud bigtime. I wonder if I strapped an LNBF to the side of my feedhorn on my 12 foot what it might do. Not even sure how to fabricate and align that. Any idea's Ice?

you could try and strap a KU LNB next to it

what is scary is the LNB I used was the Prime Focus LNB that in the link I posted gave me good results on 97W

Something happened with RTN this afternoon.

The picture froze twice stayed down about 20- 30 seconds then came back and the signal is up. Peaking as high as 46, averaging 43-44 hope this lasts. It was like someone tweaked the uplink dish. Maybe someone read the posts here and did something.

Attachments

• RTNUP.jpg
    RTNUP.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 126
what size dish tvropro?

Thats the same numbers I get on the 6 footer

That's on my 90cm Primestar. They must have done something today at the uplink. I have seen high peaks as high as 56Q. :eek: I hope it's not short lived. :(

Here are pictures taken one after another of the average on the Pansat.

Attachments

• RTN1.jpg
    RTN1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 117
  • RTN2.jpg
    RTN2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 117
  • RTN3.jpg
    RTN3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
They changed something as i was getting rtn at about 48% and now it's at 56%.

90cm fortec star
invacom lnb
pansat 250sm

I noticed on the Coolsat it locks right away at 69-70 (normally at 66-67 and takes 3-4 seconds to lock)

I have to eat my words a bit on this one today. I've been reading posts about this RTN thing for months, with all the speculation about signals strength being the problem. Each time, I've run a spectrum scan, and the 3 peaks in that general area (~11724, 11729, 11735) have always been nearly equal in signal strength, plus or minus a small amount which could be due to a bit of non-linearity in my system. I've run many dozens of scans on this transponder.
So today, when I see posts suggesting that the RTN signal is higher, I was certain that nothing had changed, but I decided to run another spectrum scan.

Well, it turns out, that it DOES look like the RTN signal is a bit stronger today. Not a whole lot, and it could still be related to the linearity of my system, but if real, it well could be enough that it could well make a difference relative to receivers grabbing that signal rather than the LEO signal. I still think that the problems people have reported in the past have nothing to do with signal strengths, however today signal strength may well be an issue.

amc9ku728.jpg

Above, to the left, transponder 1 a week or 2 ago, to the right, transponder 1 today. The peak at the right is 11735. To the left of it is 11729 and 11724 respectively. I've cropped the images obviously, so the absolute signal height is meaningless... actually the highest peaks were in the 50% range on my broadlogic, and in the mid 60s on my Diamond and in the 20s on the Twinhan. As I said, virtually every other time I've done a scan, it looked more like the image at left, with different peaks being highest, but only by insignificant amounts. Even today, I don't really see it as a significant difference in signal strength, and my Twinhan and Diamond 9000 are having no problems with either RTN or LEO .

I have to eat my words a bit on this one today. I've been reading posts about this RTN thing for months, with all the speculation about signals strength being the problem. Each time, I've run a spectrum scan, and the 3 peaks in that general area (~11724, 11729, 11735) have always been nearly equal in signal strength, plus or minus a small amount which could be due to a bit of non-linearity in my system. I've run many dozens of scans on this transponder.
So today, when I see posts suggesting that the RTN signal is higher, I was certain that nothing had changed, but I decided to run another spectrum scan.

Well, it turns out, that it DOES look like the RTN signal is a bit stronger today. Not a whole lot, and it could still be related to the linearity of my system, but if real, it well could be enough that it could well make a difference relative to receivers grabbing that signal rather than the LEO signal. I still think that the problems people have reported in the past have nothing to do with signal strengths, however today signal strength may well be an issue.

amc9ku728.jpg

Above, to the left, transponder 1 a week or 2 ago, to the right, transponder 1 today. The peak at the right is 11735. To the left of it is 11729 and 11724 respectively. I've cropped the images obviously, so the absolute signal height is meaningless... actually the highest peaks were in the 50% range on my broadlogic, and in the mid 60s on my Diamond and in the 20s on the Twinhan. As I said, virtually every other time I've done a scan, it looked more like the image at left, with different peaks being highest, but only by insignificant amounts. Even today, I don't really see it as a significant difference in signal strength, and my Twinhan and Diamond 9000 are having no problems with either RTN or LEO .

RTN kicked the dish yesterday and put it back I track. Actually I was monitoring the signal yesterday afternoon and it was it's typical 26-33 I've been getting. The picture froze and about 20 seconds later it came back this happened a couple times then stabilized. After that the Q was hitting 45 and stable around there. It was like they were tweaking the dish. I've seen the same results on my end when I've been tweaking.

So I guess my theory of RTN in the mud held a bit of water. I just hope it stays this way since I really didn't want to try to fabricate something on my 12 foot dish right now.

There are certainly some strange things going on with the signal today. After posting, I was watching a couple programs for a couple hours, when I lost signal on both Twinhan and Diamond. I ran another spectrum, and the RTN signal was down considerably lower than the other two signals. About 10 minutes later, the signal came back, and I ran another spectrum, and all three signals were equal. About 15 minutes after that, RTN was back up higher than the other two. About a half hour later, it was down lower than the other two again.
So after months of hardly ever seeing any changes in signal level, it's jumping all over the place today. It made me wonder if maybe there were thunderstorms at the uplink site (it's bright and sunny here). I printed out some weather radar maps, and there was heavy rain in Nebraska/Kansas and also Arkansas, Lousianna, Mississippi area. I can't remember where the RTN uplink is located... does anyone remember?

The whole state of Tennessee has storms today. My RTN is going nuts too. I shut it off for now.

That's on my 90cm Primestar. They must have done something today at the uplink. I have seen high peaks as high as 56Q. :eek: I hope it's not short lived. :(

the 6 footer is giving nice results...60-61 rock solid :)
The Pansat picked it up on a blind scan with no issues

Attachments

• 100_0308.jpg
    100_0308.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0309.jpg
    100_0309.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 109
converselly on the 76cm dish....32 with spikes to 37

Bigger is always better :D I hope RTV's signal stays put now. My 90cm should be more than enough needed for them.

On C band the Pansat's meter ain't so tight. (see attached picture) Thats the CW, 90's are common place with the 12 foot. I need a 12 foot solid for ku :D

Attachments

• CBAND-12 foot CW.jpg
    CBAND-12 foot CW.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 108
I lock CW on the 6 footer no problems at 99 quality ;)
most of the other muxes that are scrambled on that sat are between 70-75

I know it don't mean much any more but here is Equitys G3 7/8 mux. Those *Special Channels* on the CW bird give me in the high 80's. :)

Attachments

• Equity G3c 7-8 fec.jpg
    Equity G3c 7-8 fec.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 118
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)