RTN & AMC 9

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I love your neighbors story. What you actually could have done is is broadcast on the FM frequency with very low power they were on and cause capture effect to take out there signal. If you wanted you could have hooked up a mike and told them to turn it down. They would have freaked :eek:

I had neighbors years ago that the parents weren't home and the kids were throwing a very loud pool party. That had music blasting so I transmitted with a FM micro transmitter and fed Classical music from my dish on that frequency. Very fast the radio went off and stayed off. :D

I like the classical music idea. That would have freaked them out (ie to get the same classical station no matter what channel they tuned to) even more than talking to them, plus I didn't want them to know I was doing it, because I had already had concrete blocks thrown through my car window, and a dozen eggs thrown at my windows, and numerous other vandalism episodes every time they decided that they didn't like me. But the classical music thing might have been a life altering experience for those neighbors.
My generator only had AM modulation, however. I think I may have tried switching on the built in AM tone, but I can't remember if that came through or not. I don't know if FM micro transmitters were readily available back when I did this (back in the late 70s). I wasn't technologically savy enough to put together a FM transmitter from scratch, although I might have been able to modify the signal generator to introduce FM modulation.

There's a bunch of cracker heads out there that think that the world revolves around them only and have no respect for there neighbors. Some get violent when they don't have there way. I like using my technical knowledge to put these people in there place when needed. I've done a few other things over the years that I really don't want to go into, but each time it involves using my electronic know to do something to put these people in line. The cool thing is they have no idea where it's coming from. :)

On the topic of noisy neighbours

A few years ago, in the summer, windows closed, AC on etc in the house, these people 2 houses down had a whiz bang blowout shin-dig. I knew there was going to be trouble when they pulled out the kiddie pool full of ice and beer. Well after 11 PM the windows were still shaking from the thumping music, and with no police help, and the neighbours being uncooperative, I swung my Mosely tribander around to point right at their house and started calling CQ on 20 meters with the linear kicking out around a kilowatt (I never do this by practice). Well, I was able to "bathe" their cheapy sound system in so much RF, my SSB voice was mixing with their music, and very quickly the volume went down. it was almost howling. I stayed awake for a while, and every time they cranked the volume up, off I went Calling CQ CQ CQ 20 meters. Finally, the volume went down for good. They probably never did figure out what caused that interference. But at midnight, enough is enough, as some people have to get sleep to go to work in the morning

A few years ago, in the summer, windows closed, AC on etc in the house, these people 2 houses down had a whiz bang blowout shin-dig. I knew there was going to be trouble when they pulled out the kiddie pool full of ice and beer. Well after 11 PM the windows were still shaking from the thumping music, and with no police help, and the neighbours being uncooperative, I swung my Mosely tribander around to point right at their house and started calling CQ on 20 meters with the linear kicking out around a kilowatt (I never do this by practice). Well, I was able to "bathe" their cheapy sound system in so much RF, my SSB voice was mixing with their music, and very quickly the volume went down. it was almost howling. I stayed awake for a while, and every time they cranked the volume up, off I went Calling CQ CQ CQ 20 meters. Finally, the volume went down for good. They probably never did figure out what caused that interference. But at midnight, enough is enough, as some people have to get sleep to go to work in the morning

Front end overload does wonders don't it :D :up

There's a bunch of cracker heads out there that think that the world revolves around them only and have no respect for there neighbors. ...

Yeah, like those boneheads with nth order subs and massive amps in their vehicles. They go up and down the street at 3 am with it blasting so you can literally feel the bass in your house.

These are the people who feel inclined to stick you at the slightest 'dis'respect. Yet they have no problem disrespecting entire neighborhoods including people's grandmas.

I think that's the key to getting RTN; not dish size. You need to use a receiver that ignores that adjacent signal better to get it.

I have some results that backs up what you said and a few other things too. Here is the scenario:

2 receivers:
Coolsat 4000 and 8100. Both have actually SEEN and LOCKED RTN but with only my motorized dish. For some reason my fixed POS Sat Radar (re-badged Azure Shine) dish doesn't seek out RTN as well as my motorized rig. Both dishes are 31" I believe. (Motorized may be a 33") It's been so long since I installed the motorized dish that I don't remember one way or another.

A dish too small (or too cheap) allows Video-1 to overpower and drown out RTN. It's that simple. My motorized dish rules the farm and I've been cheapin' out on fixed dishes.

I have some results that backs up what you said and a few other things too. Here is the scenario:

2 receivers:
Coolsat 4000 and 8100. Both have actually SEEN and LOCKED RTN but with only my motorized dish. For some reason my fixed POS Sat Radar (re-badged Azure Shine) dish doesn't seek out RTN as well as my motorized rig. Both dishes are 31" I believe. (Motorized may be a 33") It's been so long since I installed the motorized dish that I don't remember one way or another.

A dish too small (or too cheap) allows Video-1 to overpower and drown out RTN. It's that simple. My motorized dish rules the farm and I've been cheapin' out on fixed dishes.

I don't think this is likely. Dish size and quality should affect the Video-1 signal exactly the same as the RTN signal. The dish isn't going to favor one over the other. Dish size/quality will affect interferrence from adjacent satellites though, so if you are marginal, the added interferrence from adjacent sats might be the killer, plus with your motorized dish, you might tweak things off aim a bit to reduce adjacent interferrence.

I think dish size is important here only in that the both video-1 and RTN are a bit weaker than some of the other transponders on the sat, but it shouldn't favor video-1. I think the only thing that will favor video-1 over RTN is the receiver, not the dish. But that's just my opinion, based on my experience that from the same signal my blind scan receiver has problems, but the non blind scan receiver lock it fine (except for an hour one morning this past week for some reason... only time I've had problems). I see you've gotten it with the 4000, which is blind scan, so that goes against my theory a bit.

As far as signal strength is concerned, I get RTN between 25 and 35 SQ on my viewsat extreme. 25 in clouds. 35 on a clear day. Thats on a fixed 90CM (36 inch) dish. If I went to a 1.2M dish, would I get any better signal? 45? 50? Has anyone done this and made a comparison?

common sense would say yes you would. I know RTN tells their affiliates that a 1.2m dish is minimum. I havent tried it as I have a line of site issue (another dish in the way) so I cant comment on the signal

I get it decent here in MN on the 76cm....67-68 on the CS5000...threshold is 63-64

I have a Motorized 80cm that gets Q53 on a Diamond9000. It's mounted at ground level, not the best line of sight.
I think Q47 is needed to play.

Since I've been using a Diamond 9000 now for 3 months, I will say the tuner in those boxes must be among the best. I have yet to experience the AMC9 issue. I tend not to watch those RTV feeds as much unless other members in the household are using the BUD elsewhere.

I still think it depends on what is scanned in the channel list. Since I deleted those news feeds from my Dad's P2700a it hasn't happened again.

Has anyone contacted RTV about this issue to date? I hope one of the reasons the ku feeds exist is for the FTA enthusiasts out here. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but I hope it factors in. :)

The KU feed was originally for the affiliates when they split from Equity. The big network affiliates are using the C-Band ones out there and I thought these were for the "non-customized" affiliates (mainly low powered stations)

RTN UPDATE

RTN has been sort of down lately here so I spent 2.5 hours messing with my Primestar after about an hour playing with SR & Freq. I set SR now to 4444, Freq to 11740. Then I went outside and played with the skew first, Very touchy got it dead center. Then went and played with the azimuth & elevation. Tuned through the peaks many times, finally found what I figure is dead center. So far nice and solid again. I was getting occasional breakup lately. Video one is 75 to 78 Q NBC is hitting 89-90 and RTN, well It peaks at 39 once in a blue moon but is at least wavering less around 29-33-35 now. It was bottoming out at 14 (breakup) now it hits 25 for a low point. Hope she holds up.

When I was trying different SR Freq combos. I put the Pansat at 11735, 4444 and told it to scan and it locked Video One (AKA Leo 1) instead of RTN. So the stronger carrier is bleeding into RTN's freq and definitely causing a problem. RTN could alleviate this by increasing there uplink power I think. RTN's low output is at least 75% of the problem. The receivers that can't get it at all must be too wide banded and can't deal with narrow carriers and strong adjacents.

I also spent some time today (7/25) trying to improve the signal on RTN. I have a 76cm Channel Master dish, motorized, with a Coolsat 5000.

Using 11736 SR 4580 and tweeking the dish, I'm getting 66, threshold is 63.

Then I hooked up my Pansat 2500A... nothing... no trace of it, just Video-1. Tired various combinations of freq & SR, nothing worked.

Then I tried my Viewsat PVR7000. It's at about 25% but it has a extremely low threshold, and the signal is actually stronger than the Coolsat. This is also 11736, 4580.

I also spent some time today (7/25) trying to improve the signal on RTN. I have a 76cm Channel Master dish, motorized, with a Coolsat 5000.

Using 11736 SR 4580 and tweeking the dish, I'm getting 66, threshold is 63.

Then I hooked up my Pansat 2500A... nothing... no trace of it, just Video-1. Tired various combinations of freq & SR, nothing worked.

Then I tried my Viewsat PVR7000. It's at about 25% but it has a extremely low threshold, and the signal is actually stronger than the Coolsat. This is also 11736, 4580.

Don't you just love riding right above threshold? Any change and issues. Not the way I like to play. If I had the bucks I'd get a monster offset for ku maybe 3 meter or bigger and see how that would work.

I watched RTN all last night and turned it on this morning for a bit and it's signal is the same as yesterday so maybe I did good. :) No breakups last night, or this morning.

I had a decent signal all last night and early this morning. Just turned in on early in the afternoon, and there's a little breakup... more on the Coolsat than the Viewsat.

Maybe I need to tweek the LNB a bit. Maybe try a different LNB.

It was weaker here too when I checked a bit ago, back up now. It's not you, it's probably RTN's uplink site. I guess were stuck with borderline subpar performance unless we want to toss tall dollars into a much larger dish. The problem is when we finally get it all together they will probably go off that bird and go strictly to S2. I know Im maxed out on my 90cm now so there is nothing else I can do but toss bucks at it or possibly scronge a larger dish.

well I found out that some receivers are bad when it comes to knocking out adjacent signals

The Pansat 1500 can lock RTV no issues on my 76cm or 90cm. Today while working on a test run for another member I took the 6 footer and spun it over to 83W
Locked the test card (11775) at 99 quality
RTN locked at 45-49 quality
what was weird is if I moved the dish on the "scan TP" screen it would spike to 77 quality....woo hoo! until I scanned then it would get Leo even though I was at 11735 H 4340...so 6 Mhz off it scanned. Re-edited it to 11736 H 4440 and locked RTV at a max of 45-49 quality....cant get any higher than that

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)