RTV AMC-9 Quality way up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is a first for me too on the motored dish. Could never quite get it good enough to watch on the MercII - signal would be in the mid 40's. Good solid 55-60 today. Around 30 degrees and the sun has been peeking through for the first time in over a week - that means it's NOT snowing here today!

Last edited:
76/99 on the Icon meter here, which always reads pretty high. And , as rare as it happens here, it is snowing fairly heavily! I'll check with the Merc2 in a bit, it usually shows about 35-40quality on the 1m. Saturday night last weekend, RTN was breaking up on the late late crap movie show and was only showing 30% for my Icon/motorized dish, weather was cold and clear. Possibly they have had some kind of problem and resolved it with a power increase!!
JimS, getting RTN on an 18" dish is a pretty cool trick, congrats. Gotta try that when the air warms up some.

Hoorah!
The Geosatpro locks it today on the new motorized system.

11774 H 4342 went dead last week and it's been pouring the cold rain that you just hate to be out in.

TIME TO GO OUT AND PEAK!

EDIT: 38Q up to 52Q for now.
EDIT2: Squeezed it up to 60Q

Last edited:
RTN certainly has improved its signal for me. About a week or so ago, it was reading 48% Quality on my AZBox. It is now up to 69% Quality. That is a really strong reading on my AZBox meter.
On my Coolsat 5K, the quality reads 79% with FW 006 installed.

Screen shot of signal meter from AZBox attached.

RADAR

Attachments

• AZBox SETUP screen for AMC 9.jpg
    AZBox SETUP screen for AMC 9.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 136
Info on mine is now showing 100% / 100%
Previously it was 90% / 100% on average.

I'm still using that old internet dish, I think it's a direct pc dish, I forget, haven't been out there in a few months.

But for total sure, yes, the signal is as good as it's ever been. I hope they keep it there. :D

Info on mine is now showing 100% / 100%
Previously it was 90% / 100% on average.

I'm still using that old internet dish, I think it's a direct pc dish, I forget, haven't been out there in a few months.

But for total sure, yes, the signal is as good as it's ever been. I hope they keep it there. :D

Hi Dee,

I am sure that you mentioned it, but I have forgotten, what receiver are you using?

If I were getting 100% reading from RTN on my Coolsat or AZBox, I wouldn't have to worry about rain fade! Someone would have to park a semi in front of my dish or run it over to kill that signal! HA!

RADAR

Don't expect this to last long. I've seen several threads in the past about high signals only to have it return back to their regular normals. However here in Florida were it is uplinked we are having unusually low temperatures that is breaking the record set 25 years back. Don't know if atmospheric conditions are creating this anormally. However the signal is the same here for RTN as it has been, on a Collsat 5000 36in dish Sig 87 Q 86.

Hi Dee,

I am sure that you mentioned it, but I have forgotten, what receiver are you using?

If I were getting 100% reading from RTN on my Coolsat or AZBox, I wouldn't have to worry about rain fade! Someone would have to park a semi in front of my dish or run it over to kill that signal! HA!

RADAR

I have a pc home theater system. There are two cards in it, one for satellite and one for local air tv. I think they are haupage brand. I blame it 100% on my ex, he built it to begin with and left it with me. :cool:

Don't expect this to last long. I've seen several threads in the past about high signals only to have it return back to their regular normals. However here in Florida were it is uplinked we are having unusually low temperatures that is breaking the record set 25 years back. Don't know if atmospheric conditions are creating this anormally. However the signal is the same here for RTN as it has been, on a Collsat 5000 36in dish Sig 87 Q 86.
Seems there were comments in a recent thread about signals being better with the cold weather.

Hoping that this isn't the reason here!

Can't believe my eyes. My S95/Q95 since this morning at 7AM and its still high on RTN on AMC9. The picture really looks great! Hope it stays this high even for a short time.

RTV signal is more for me here to.
Was averaging about 40-49% quality.
Now it's averaging about 70-78% quality.
...the quality is always better as later into the night it gets.

My folks said that our OverTheAir 1 RTV was a black screen earlier today.
..maybe they had some problems and also fixed their sat signal better.

It's possible that Luken is now using a bigger dish or new uplink to uplink the signal. I believe some affiliates were having problems with the signal. RTV is expanding and they need to provide a quality signal to there affiliates. I don't think this is a fluke it's just expansion in the right direction. Since they stopped using Equity's uplinks they have been limping along wth a broken leg and a crutch. I think the leg is finally healed :)

possibly tvropro

More stations are signing up and using the national feed versus a customized feed. The customized ones are on C-Band DVB-S2

This possible upgrade allows more stations to carry it....oh why cant one in Minneapolis carry it? :mad:

Seems there were comments in a recent thread about signals being better with the cold weather.

Hoping that this isn't the reason here!

When the temperature drops to -459.67 degrees F (0 degrees Kelvin) the signal will improve due to the Superconductivity of the metal, hence, no resistance to current flow. Currently, my local temperature is approaching absolute zero, so I have a very good signal on all sats.

:D I am just joking, it doesn't work that way, or at least not quite so.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Superconductivity occurs in certain materials at very low temperatures. When superconductive, a material has an electrical resistance of exactly zero and no interior magnetic field (the Meissner effect). It was discovered by Heike Kamerlingh Onnes in 1911. Like ferromagnetism and atomic spectral lines, superconductivity is a quantum mechanical phenomenon. It cannot be understood simply as the idealization of "perfect conductivity" in classical physics.

The electrical resistivity of a metallic conductor decreases gradually as the temperature is lowered. However, in ordinary conductors such as copper and silver, this decrease is limited by impurities and other defects. Even near absolute zero, a real sample of copper shows some resistance. In a superconductor however, despite these imperfections, the resistance drops abruptly to zero when the material is cooled below its critical temperature. An electric current flowing in a loop of superconducting wire can persist indefinitely with no power source.[1]

Superconductivity occurs in many materials: simple elements like tin and aluminium, various metallic alloys and some heavily-doped semiconductors. Superconductivity does not occur in noble metals like gold and silver, nor in pure samples of ferromagnetic metals.

In 1986, it was discovered that some cuprate-perovskite ceramic materials have critical temperatures of more than 90 kelvin. These high-temperature superconductors renewed interest in the topic because the current theory could not explain them. From a practical perspective, 90 kelvin is easy to reach with the readily available liquid nitrogen (boiling point 77 kelvin). This means more experimentation and more commercial applications are feasible, especially if materials with even higher critical temperatures could be discovered.

RADAR

possibly tvropro

oh why cant one in Minneapolis carry it? :mad:

None in Chicago carry it either. The closest city is Rockford for RTV. We may not have it in Chicago because we have MeTv and MeToo (there like RTV) this could be holding up things here.

Honestly if the signals stayed like I was getting them around 45Q I was happy. This new level is better then I got on the ADTH 84cm back on the strongest transponder on G-10 and G-18.

I guess I stumbled upon something good for all of us last night :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)