RUMOR ALERT! NEW DIRECTV HD COMING!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well folks... since the channels have now been talked about at other forums I am going to move this thread to the DIRECTV forum.

As we go forward Look for a LOT more DIRECTV news FIRST here at SatelliteGuys. ;)

I know this thread is basically for national channels, but does anyone know if DirecTV is considering changes to LIL HD?
They offer The CW in SD for my area, but the OTA is in HD.
I've sent emails to DirecTV and the answer has been the same each time.
"DIRECTV realizes local programming in HD is important to you. We currently do not have plans to offer the CW in HD. Your request is on file from your previous request so no additional action is required on your end. Any updates to your local channels can be found at DIRECTV.com/locals."
BTW, the other networks are in HD here (except MyNetwork).

It would be nice if DirecTV offered the CW in HD here as OTA can be a bit flaky.

It can take a long time for Directv to give you certain locals. The My network in hd was in testing for a year or so before we got it here in CT.

RUMOR ALERT!

Playboy HD
Galavision HD

and QVC HD.

Thank you for this information, Scott!

This doesn't impress me.

But I do believe that every channel that has an HD will end up being made available by all companies.

I think it's difficult to complain when the reality is that I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at DirecTV. I don't know how that company makes decisions on what to add in HD. I don't know if the people at DirecTV are in control for most or all of this. But I can say that, if they do have total control, then there are a lot of unimpressive people working in important positions at DirecTV. Do I believe that? No. I think that this may have something to do with contracts, and that it may be timed with renewal periods. I don't know about this. I do want to give some credit to DirecTV. Over the last year, the company added a lot of the programming that needed to come in: BBC America HD, Cooking Channel HD, Do It Yourself Network HD, E! Entertainment Television HD, Headline News HD, H2 HD, Independent Film Channel HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, Oprah Winfrey Network HD, truTV HD, Turner Classic Movies HD, and TV Land HD. DirecTV also added new programmers with beIN Sport HD and Disney Junior HD. And it added Ion Television HD. (That would the east feed of Ion.)

The three mentioned here by Scott seem pretty low on expectations. QVC HD would make sense if HSN HD were also getting added, as if to say that it was for home shoppers who had been waiting on those two competitors' HD. Galavision HD is more understandable than the other two, with DirecTV reaching out to the growing Hispanic population, and that Univision HD has already been available for a while. But it is rather strange that Playboy TV HD will get added before the following: C-Span HD, C-Span 2 HD, Encore Drama HD, Fox Movie Channel HD, Fuse HD, GSN HD, The Hub HD, Military Channel HD, MTV 2 HD, Outdoor Channel HD, Ovation HD, Oxygen HD, PBS Kids Sprout HD, Reelz Channel HD, Sportsman Channel HD, Style Network HD, Sundance Channel HD, TV Guide Network HD, TV One HD, Universal Sports HD, Uplifting Television HD, and We TV HD.

To reiterate my point: I look to everything eventually being made available in HD. But, when considering those mentioned in the previous paragraph, this latest of DirecTV-added HD is underwhelming.

People may question why you would want qvc in HD, and I WAS one of them, however there was an appearance & performance by a musical act that I like on QVC a while back & I was wishing it was in HD!!

Thank you for this information, Scott!

This doesn't impress me.

But I do believe that every channel that has an HD will end up being made available by all companies.

I think it's difficult to complain when the reality is that I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at DirecTV. I don't know how that company makes decisions on what to add in HD. I don't know if the people at DirecTV are in control for most or all of this. But I can say that, if they do have total control, then there are a lot of unimpressive people working in important positions at DirecTV. Do I believe that? No. I think that this may have something to do with contracts, and that it may be timed with renewal periods. I don't know about this. I do want to give some credit to DirecTV. Over the last year, the company added a lot of the programming that needed to come in: BBC America HD, Cooking Channel HD, Do It Yourself Network HD, E! Entertainment Television HD, Headline News HD, H2 HD, Independent Film Channel HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, Oprah Winfrey Network HD, truTV HD, Turner Classic Movies HD, and TV Land HD. DirecTV also added new programmers with beIN Sport HD and Disney Junior HD. And it added Ion Television HD. (That would the east feed of Ion.)

The three mentioned here by Scott seem pretty low on expectations. QVC HD would make sense if HSN HD were also getting added, as if to say that it was for home shoppers who had been waiting on those two competitors' HD. Galavision HD is more understandable than the other two, with DirecTV reaching out to the growing Hispanic population, and that Univision HD has already been available for a while. But it is rather strange that Playboy TV HD will get added before the following: C-Span HD, C-Span 2 HD, Encore Drama HD, Fox Movie Channel HD, Fuse HD, GSN HD, The Hub HD, Military Channel HD, MTV 2 HD, Outdoor Channel HD, Ovation HD, Oxygen HD, PBS Kids Sprout HD, Reelz Channel HD, Sportsman Channel HD, Style Network HD, Sundance Channel HD, TV Guide Network HD, TV One HD, Universal Sports HD, Uplifting Television HD, and We TV HD.

To reiterate my point: I look to everything eventually being made available in HD. But, when considering those mentioned in the previous paragraph, this latest of DirecTV-added HD is underwhelming.

Playboy is a pay channel, it brings in revenue while the other channels you listed don't.

Wow when I saw QVC in Hd all I could think about was the South Park episode a few years back that made fun of it.

The sooner we get all the channels hd the sooner d can start phasing out mpeg2 boxes and use that bandwidth for something else.

The sooner we get all the channels hd the sooner d can start phasing out mpeg2 boxes and use that bandwidth for something else.

Even if we get all of the channels in HD the people without HD receivers would not be able to view them. That would be the majority of of Directv's subscribers so replacing all of their receivers would cost a fortune. Also if you got every channel in HD what would you want them to use "extra" bandwidth for?

Even if we get all of the channels in HD the people without HD receivers would not be able to view them. That would be the majority of of Directv's subscribers so replacing all of their receivers would cost a fortune. Also if you got every channel in HD what would you want them to use "extra" bandwidth for?

True. Extra bandwidth will come from new satellites and new encoders. Not by taking up old recievers.
Extra bandwidth will be used for 4K. :)

That's why they should have been phasing out the mpeg2 boxes years ago.

dscf4506.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)