Rumor Alert: SuperDish Coming Soon to Many

Stargazer said:
Thats exactly what I was getting at, this is another way of Dish getting out of having to replace everyone's dishes, by just putting the less viewed channels at 105 and 121 instead. That dont mean that they will necesarily get the dishes unless forced to do so by the FCC. Doesn't seem to have accomplished much after all since the customers still wouldnt get the dish needed to receive all the channels. If Dish Network has to provide a free SuperDish to a lot of subscribers for these extra channels then I can see a lot of those subcribers getting them just to resell online seeing their value.

I agree that the main channesl will stay on the spot beam's and the channels on wing slots will be mirrored or moved to 105.

I doubt you will just get a superdish sent to you. It is hard to get a receiver without someone comming out and installing it for you.

I sure hope ALL HD is moved to 105 or spread across 110,119, and 105 The wings are to difficult for most markets to get do to the low elevations. I will be extremely please if locals moved to 15 and some HD was added to all three locations. Someone should poll it

I wonder if, as a condition for getting your free Superdish installation, the installer will confiscate (as a convenience, of course) any wing dishes, since they'd be "superfluous"?

MI_SAT said:
Buying back stock is a use of cash, not a source of cash. :eureka

The buy back can be to drive price up on the stock, which in turn can be used as leverage in all stock buyout from Rainbow Media.

larrystotler said:
I'm sure that E* has a plan. It looks like all the international channels will eventually move to the 121, especially due to the low percentage of subscribers that have them
A. Since when did Dish start having a consistent plan, or have a plan that didn't change every few weeks?
B. I was under the impression that International subs are a HUGE customer base for Dish. It is a major draw, as sunday Ticket is for DirecTV. Heck. In my area, many Dish subs ONLY subscribe to the Internationals.

carload said:
I wonder if, as a condition for getting your free Superdish installation, the installer will confiscate (as a convenience, of course) any wing dishes, since they'd be "superfluous"?
Unless a trade-in is stipulated, in writing, as part of the upgrade equipment, you do not have to give up your old stuff. You can seel it on Ebay. After all, that's what the installer will do.

DBSOgre said:
There are PI channels on 61.5 that I don't feel like losing, so Dish will have to work with the 3 LNB dish and my 2nd one.
From what I understand that because Dish is leasing space at 105 and 121 that there is no requirement for PI channels on 105 and 121.

The wild part about this is it all hinges on a successfull launch of the Satellite on Thursday. If that things blows up on the launch pad, then I expect to see a bunch of people moving to DirecTV (and quickly)

Scott Greczkowski said:
If that things blows up on the launch pad, then I expect to see a bunch of people moving to DirecTV (and quickly)
:no Scott, please knock here:
121.jpg

(previous image)

Congress should have given the satellite providers the option of making that 2nd dish a mandatory requirement to subscribe to locals in split markets rather then forcing them to a 1 dish solution in all cases. Congress could have simply given E* 1 year to either convert split markets to a 1 dish solution or upgrade all subs in remaining split markets to 2 dishes weather a sub wanted 2 dishes or not, in those split markets if a sub wanted locals they would be required to have that 2nd dish installed or give up locals. This would have accomplished 2 things, it would satisfy the broadcaster's plus it would have given E* more flexibility in meeting the requirements.

Well I think it would be easier to move all the lesser viewed channels in the top 36 markets that are on 61.5 or 148 , and move them to the 105 sat. Then all Dish has to do is put a scrawl on the effected channels that they need to upgrade to a superdish and to call 1-800 -333-DISH for a free upgrade. This of course will make it look like all locals are on ONE sat dish ; Superdish. Then for the people who don't care about having a large Superdish and don't care about these extra channels, they could stay with what they already have. Dish saves money because a lot of people don't want the big Superdish and they won't call to upgrade. This technically meets the FCC standard about all locals on one dish , and saves Dish money because they only have to move the few people who want one to the Superdish. They also only have to move the lesser viewed religious and mexican stations to 105 satellite.

If Dish wants to use the 105 satellite for hd purposes then all people who upgrade to the Superdish for 105 will be ready for hd as well. People who don't need the Superdish for locals might need it for hd and will commit to a year of hd pack to get the Superdish. Either way Dish wins again and gets to thumb their nose at the FCC , Directv and everyone else who worked to change the law on the two dish locals issue.

I think that the 61.5 sat will come in handy when Dish buys Voom out . Then they can mirror the hd channels from this sat to the 148 as well for the west coast. Then you will still need two sat dishes to get hd as well as locals and regular national channels. As far as the internationals on 121 , I don't know how many people want 2 Superdishes. I guess they can make it work with the dpp44 switch. It will be strange if you want all three; Superdish for 105 locals and national channels and international channels on 121 and any new hd channels on a side sat on 61.5 or 148 satellite. Talk about an antenna farm.

Charlie has said that by 2008 he can have all his channels on one dish. I would love to see what kind of satellite dish that will be and how big . :eek:

Well no one wants to half to mess with two dish's! Just more stuff to deal with so if things go well this Thursday. Then I see some folks needing SuperDish and other's fine with the 500.Either way one dish is all you should really need maybe in worse case add another LBN. But to half to have to dish's is out of the questions and I dont see that happeing just another reason why you put another bird in the sky!

Iceberg said:
It doesnt make sense in some markets

St Louis has 1

Sorry, St.Louis actually has TWO on 61.5 - their local UPN-46 & a religious station-24. The UPN station USED to be just a HSN affiliate until about 2 years ago, (which is obviously why it ended up on 61.5 in the first place) when it switched to UPN, but of course, E* DIDN'T bother moving it to a D500 slot with the rest of the locals, so it's still on 61.5.

dishrich said:
Sorry, St.Louis actually has TWO on 61.5 - their local UPN-46 & a religious station-24. The UPN station USED to be just a HSN affiliate until about 2 years ago, (which is obviously why it ended up on 61.5 in the first place) when it switched to UPN, but of course, E* DIDN'T bother moving it to a D500 slot with the rest of the locals, so it's still on 61.5.

my bad :) I thought it was just the UPN station on 61.5

Minneapolis had one (KTCI..PBS) back in 2002 on 61.5...then moved it to 110 at the end of 2002....then added KAWB (PBS) in March 04 and added it to 61.5

Echostar brings you Mongo Dish - Receives all satellite locations and doubles as a patio cover. Just think of all the possible accessory products! :D

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)