RUMOR - FOX HD on Dish for SuperBowl? No Way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
houselog442 said:
All Fox O&Os have HD EXCEPT one. Unfortuneatly, I happen to live near the one that does not have HD, which is WOGX in Ocala. GRRRRRRRR

Not true, the Austin Fox O&O station doesn't broadcast in HD yet. I talked to them this week and they're scheduled to go HD in late July 2005. Unless Dish ponies up on a sat. feed HD broadcast, no HD SuperBowl for us.

More Info

Originally Posted by joeylberry
So how would one know if there address is considered a O&O area. I live in the zip code of 75409 which is about 60 miles away from the fox tower in dallas. If the sb ends up only being shown in a O&O I want to make sure I will at least get a feed of it...

caesar gdi said:
someone posted the list in this thread... about post number 20 or 30

I see the list however it does not let me know if the location I am in is part of that market. Dallas is listed however I find it hard to grasp that this means only people with dallas listed as the city in their address are part of the O&O areas. I would assume that a Dallas O&O would also include the metroplex and surounding citys of dallas. If this is the case I would like to know if my address is considered part of that market.

Grumpy said:
Not true, the Austin Fox O&O station doesn't broadcast in HD yet. I talked to them this week and they're scheduled to go HD in late July 2005. Unless Dish ponies up on a sat. feed HD broadcast, no HD SuperBowl for us.

Thats because ultra-liberal hippies dont care about HD! :D

Sorry...I couldnt resist.

joeylberry said:
Originally Posted by joeylberry
So how would one know if there address is considered a O&O area. I live in the zip code of 75409 which is about 60 miles away from the fox tower in dallas. If the sb ends up only being shown in a O&O I want to make sure I will at least get a feed of it...

Do you qualify for KDFW Ch 4 now? If so, you would end up getting it.

Great it is confirm and I will prove it...

Im posting a new message in the main dish network forum as soone as I get a email reply. It sounds like its a no.... for sure

Everyone needs to check out the HD PPV channel. When you press info it describes some special sports event.....could true, maybe not a rumor......be patient....everyone expects miracles when the consumer pays the monthly bills.....but guess what...HD uses mega bandwith and the birds in space have limits.

Couldn't they at least do 480i widescreen ?

Not sure of the technical aspects involved but is there any reason they couldn't provide a decent 408i signal in widescreen ?

As I understand it, Fox sends their SD feed out that way but Dish crops it back to 4:3 so as not to upset their 4:3 viewers. Why couldn't they pass the native signal through on a temporary feed for widescreen viewers too?

Heck, anything would be better than the stretch mode we're going to have to watch it in. Even if they put it on as a special PPV event for a few bucks, I bet it would sell.

waltinvt\ said:
Not sure of the technical aspects involved but is there any reason they couldn't provide a decent 408i signal in widescreen ?

As I understand it, Fox sends their SD feed out that way but Dish crops it back to 4:3 so as not to upset their 4:3 viewers. Why couldn't they pass the native signal through on a temporary feed for widescreen viewers too?

Heck, anything would be better than the stretch mode we're going to have to watch it in. Even if they put it on as a special PPV event for a few bucks, I bet it would sell.

Walt, it's perfectly clear that ERGEN doesn't care about us who are paying the extra bucks for HD and wanting more. Not to metion coughing up more cash for these so called state of the art HD tuners that they keep pushing on all of their customers, and will ultimately become obsolete in the very near future when MPEG4 comes about.

"Hurry and get your new state of the art 811, 921." "We're the leader when it comes to HD." What a crock.

D* and Comcast & others are kicking their butts and they just don't get the picture yet. People will be leaving in droves. It's a simple fact that people will go with someone who CAN, and who is WILLING to provide them with the services that they want.

I'd drop E* in a heart beat if I knew I could get HD networks from someone else! The minute someone else offers my locals in HD I'm gone!

As far as SD picture quality goes, look for them to compress the heck out of all NON Fox affiliate channels on Sunday. Assuming they have ANY brains there, they don't want to tick off people anymore than they already are......

My local is Fox5 out of New York and the picture is USUALLY pretty good.......

Jimmy J said:
Walt, it's perfectly clear that ERGEN doesn't care about us who are paying the extra bucks for HD and wanting more. Not to metion coughing up more cash for these so called state of the art HD tuners that they keep pushing on all of their customers, and will ultimately become obsolete in the very near future when MPEG4 comes about.

"Hurry and get your new state of the art 811, 921." "We're the leader when it comes to HD." What a crock.

D* and Comcast & others are kicking their butts and they just don't get the picture yet. People will be leaving in droves. It's a simple fact that people will go with someone who CAN, and who is WILLING to provide them with the services that they want.

I'd drop E* in a heart beat if I knew I could get HD networks from someone else! The minute someone else offers my locals in HD I'm gone!

He cares... but he cares about other issues MORE and for very good reason.

Think about it this way:

D* stated in a press release that they have around 500k HD customers that is only around 3.85% of there total customer base.

We can assume that since direct has more total customer than E* and NFL sunday ticket (HD football galore) that they have more HD customers than E*as well. How many more we could only guess.

Looking at the above we can see why Mr. Charlie wouldnt give a rats a$$ about what we want. We are nothing more than a very vocal manority.

Charlie has more pressing issues to concern himself with like increaseing stockholder value by providing goods and services that the MAJORITY of his customer will buy. Like forign language and shopping channels. He also must come up with and implement a single dish LIL for the all DMA's he services.

In other words his plate is full with tactical issues that do not allow him to focuse on more stratagic issues/planning like D* is doing with spaceway etc.

Both DBS companys are about to feel the preasure from cable as their one time advatages over cabe disappear. D* is taking stratagic steeps to combat this now while E* is just trying to keep pace and not fall to far behind as they tackle more pressing issues.

Paradox-SJ said:
We can assume that since direct has more total customer than E* and NFL sunday ticket (HD football galore) that they have more HD customers than E*as well. How many more we could only guess.

I don't know if that's a good assumption. E* make the 811 available for a VERY small cost to many of the subs vs. D* asking $299 (but some folks do get credits). I've seen a number of post from folks saying that they were thinking of going to E* just because they wanted an HD STB or a HD DVR (the 921 which E* is now selling at a reduced price). The upfront cost has steered a number of HD subs to E* that would have preferred D* except for the upfront costs.

The trouble with E* ignoring HD to any great extent is that it will hurt them in the future. Like color TV took over from back and white in a matter of years the same will happen with HD. Most new sets sold starting next year will probably be HD types. More programming is already appearing - ESPN2, etc. The last two superbowls draw people in and allow them to see the difference along with the prime time network programming now. If E* ignores the trend, then D* may get such a head start they can't catch up. Apple software is much better than Microsoft but they haven't gained any ground to speak of in years. When you got the numbers and the dollars that represents, you can keep putting up more sats or get better picture quality by using more transponders, do more advertizing, or give better DVR deals. Whatever it takes to keep and expand your lead.

rad said:
I don't know if that's a good assumption. E* make the 811 available for a VERY small cost to many of the subs vs. D* asking $299 (but some folks do get credits). I've seen a number of post from folks saying that they were thinking of going to E* just because they wanted an HD STB or a HD DVR (the 921 which E* is now selling at a reduced price). The upfront cost has steered a number of HD subs to E* that would have preferred D* except for the upfront costs.

thats why i didnt go with D*, would have gone with V* but they didnt have my locals or any locals for that matter. i went with my last choice and still i wonder why i'm always disappointed. you live and you learn.

mathius8 said:
thats why i didnt go with D*, would have gone with V* but they didnt have my locals or any locals for that matter. i went with my last choice and still i wonder why i'm always disappointed. you live and you learn.

Same here. But everytime I feel disapointed about something like this, I try to remid myself that I never would have been able to justify the startup costs of D* to my wife, and if it wasn't for E*, I'd still be with the cable company. So that's fine. But I gotta tell you, even the cable company isn't looking so bad these days.

You know, it's too bad when a company can lie, mislead, mismanage, cut their PQ, charge you to beta test hardware, and raise their programming prices and customers still stay because they consider them the "least of the evils". Yep, pretty sad.

My guess is at somepoint people people leave anyway because they're just too sick of being angry.

mathius8 said:

Should have remembered what your mama told you, 'You get what you pay for'. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)