RUMOR - FOX HD on Dish for SuperBowl? No Way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If dish is mentioning this to their dealers then chances are very good that it will happen. However you live in NYC you should be able to get FOX5 fine with rabbit ears. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
If dish is mentioning this to their dealers then chances are very good that it will happen. However you live in NYC you should be able to get FOX5 fine with rabbit ears. :)

I'm really hoping that OTA here in NYC will be an easy matter. I have big ole antenna outdoors on the third floor just waiting for my 811 to arrive (any day now). I have read a lot of stories of people who can view the Empire State Building out their window (where most of the HD transmitters are) but still have trouble getting OTA signals.

Thanks for the reply,

Dan

I know a number of folks in that area, and most of them better reception with rabbit ears then a big ole antenna.

Sometimes a big antenna like that overdrives the signal.

So if you can't get anything with the big ole antenna then give rabbit ears a shot, you may be surprised. :D

Scott is right, I live in Union NJ and I have tried many Antennas and none of them worked. But then I found the Zenith Silver Sensor, I have this antenna installed in the attic with diplexers going to two HD receivers, I get all of the networks close to 85% signal strenght.

My main antenna shows pretty bad multipath problems on some of the analog stations (yet all digitals seem to come in with high, steady signal). However, yesterday I put a cheap little rabbit ear antenna in the cabinet above my main TV and connected it to the VCR, with no multipath effects. :)

The reason I didn't split the VCR off the main antenna is to keep from introducing possibly more leak/attenuation into that one (which is feeding the HD receivers). The VCR connection was just so I have another analog tuner to put out on my home cable setup. But now I might try connecting it to my HD receivers for gits & shiggles to see what kind of reception I get.

dimi1963 said:
Scott is right, I live in Union NJ and I have tried many Antennas and none of them worked. But then I found the Zenith Silver Sensor, I have this antenna installed in the attic with diplexers going to two HD receivers, I get all of the networks close to 85% signal strenght.

I actually have a Silver Sensor in the closet -- it was plan B in case the big ole antenna doesn't work. Dish was going to be plan C. I guess I'll add rabbit ears to the list. One way or another I am going to get this game in HD! Thanks for your help!

Dan

As far as NYC goes - There is a really good local thread on AVSforum.com about NYC covering long island, ct, and nj. I'm about 35 miles out on the island and can get cbs, nbc, and fox with no problem (nbc is on the ESB but hasnt boosted power yet so I cant get them - but who cares they have very little). I've got both cablevision and dish running side by side right now and while i'm partial to dish still i think the cablevision hd-dvr wins me over only because I have it now and dont have lingering questions about when dish will have their new one out

If Dish does it - will this work ?

I live in Vt. Vt affiliates don't do digital. I live in grade "Z" signal area - no OTA possible. Only cable company in my area doesn't even know what HD is.

I have CBS-HD from Dish plus the distant analog of Fox & NBC out of NY. I also have Vt locals. Vt local Fox is not O&O.

If Dish somehow works the deal for Fox HD for Superbowl will I likely get the feed since I already have analog Fox out of NY ?

If not, could I tell Dish I "moved" to say Boston (which is O&O) and would they turn it on (I realize they might turn my Vt locals off) ?

Obviously I'm getting desperate as SB day draws closer. I'd even switch to "D" if I thought it would work but I'm hearing they won't give any HD nets if they provide locals - period.

I just wondered if I might luck out with "E" since I already have the distant analog Fox or if that doesn't work, how difficult it is to "move" to an O&O area.

I don't like to have to resort to this but I have a big family (8 kids) and watching our Pats play in the SB is a big deal for us and we'd like to get it in HD.

Uhm... I must confess that I did something similar for similar reasons years ago (I assume the statute of limitations has passed ;-)). When I first moved to NYC 4 years ago I couldn't bear the thought of not seeing the red sox on NESN anymore so I told Dish that I had moved back to Boston. Since I was on credit card autopay, bills weren't a problem and I got to watch almost the whole season and yet another late season choke in October. I don't know what I would have done without it... :) Now I can watch the misery on MLB Season Pass so I am officially a New Yorker with Dish. I don't know if this would still work but for the Pats in HD...

Good luck,

Dan

Not the Special Olympics, Gary, the special feed of the Athens Olympics...

BTW, Gary, Comcast turned on KTVU-DT (Fox) in the SF Bay Area today. They've got all 4 networks now.

waltinvt said:
I live in Vt. Vt affiliates don't do digital. I live in grade "Z" signal area - no OTA possible. Only cable company in my area doesn't even know what HD is.

I have CBS-HD from Dish plus the distant analog of Fox & NBC out of NY. I also have Vt locals. Vt local Fox is not O&O.

If Dish somehow works the deal for Fox HD for Superbowl will I likely get the feed since I already have analog Fox out of NY ?

If not, could I tell Dish I "moved" to say Boston (which is O&O) and would they turn it on (I realize they might turn my Vt locals off) ?

Obviously I'm getting desperate as SB day draws closer. I'd even switch to "D" if I thought it would work but I'm hearing they won't give any HD nets if they provide locals - period.

I just wondered if I might luck out with "E" since I already have the distant analog Fox or if that doesn't work, how difficult it is to "move" to an O&O area.

I don't like to have to resort to this but I have a big family (8 kids) and watching our Pats play in the SB is a big deal for us and we'd like to get it in HD.

I sympathize Walt, I'm in pretty much the same boat. Everything I have heard says FOX O&O areas only, distants don't count. One warning though, if you "move" you will likely loose your distant networks and never be able to get them back. Good luck.

NightRyder

Well don't get too upset about the whole O&O thing guys because its been over a week now and nobody's heard any confirmation of this rumor. And with the Superbowl only 10 days away, I'm pretty confident that is just a rumor. My take on it is that if Dish was going to make this happen, they'd announce it in time to get new subscribers up and running for the big game. Since that hasn't happened, I'm betting it doesn't happen.

upNdown said:
Well don't get too upset about the whole O&O thing guys because its been over a week now and nobody's heard any confirmation of this rumor. And with the Superbowl only 10 days away, I'm pretty confident that is just a rumor. My take on it is that if Dish was going to make this happen, they'd announce it in time to get new subscribers up and running for the big game. Since that hasn't happened, I'm betting it doesn't happen.
I'm betting Rupert won't let it happen it time for E* to get new subscribers.

How soon before the Olympics did E* announce the HD Olympics channel.... That might give us an idea of what day is the "failsafe" point where we cross it and be sure that it won't be available.

BobMurdoch said:
How soon before the Olympics did E* announce the HD Olympics channel.... That might give us an idea of what day is the "failsafe" point where we cross it and be sure that it won't be available.

Looks like we heard about the interactive channel around 8/1 and about HD on 8/9. The Olympics started on the 13th(?).

NightRyder

OK, that gives another week before we give up on this.........

Now I just have to find a retailer who sells and installs huge antennas on roofs. 42 miles from New York and 62 miles from Philly. I'm assuming we are in Winegard territory with a pre amp........ Now I just have to find someone who sells them on the Jersey Shore.

Bobby said:
Not the Special Olympics, Gary, the special feed of the Athens Olympics...
No kidding?

Bobby said:
BTW, Gary, Comcast turned on KTVU-DT (Fox) in the SF Bay Area today. They've got all 4 networks now.
That's good news. BTW, some people consider PBS to be a network, too. ;) That makes 5 HD local nets, plus the 4 PBS digital sub-chanels. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts