Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tonedeaf said:
Wonder if they will require to hand in current equipment with a 2 year commitment. Seems like with 2 years I should be able to keep my own equipment.

you got that right, nothing comes free,and i don't want to be locked in
for 2 more yrs.with tech.moving as fast as it does today this equipment
may be outdated before it gets to your house.

Neutron said:
The dish required for the 95 orbital is what the 36" dish requirement is referring to. 95 is for international programming, not regular or HD.

The new dish is a 36" er.

What is HMC?

Wht is the difference between HMC and the basic MPEG4 HD DVR? Is one a multi-tuner DVR?

LonghornXP said:
It seems that the HMC will be the rental product while the basic MPEG4 HD DVR will be given away. .

mr_snerdly said:
Wht is the difference between HMC and the basic MPEG4 HD DVR? Is one a multi-tuner DVR?

The basic HD DVR will be a standalone unit with two D* tuners and two OTA HD tuners (two of the four can be used at the sametime). It will be very similiar to the current HD Tivo.

The HMC is a server based product which can fuction as a standalone device but is designed for multiroom usage. This server box has four D* tuners and two OTA tuners (4 of any 6 can be used at the sametime).

LonghornXP said:
The basic HD DVR will be a standalone unit with two D* tuners and two OTA HD tuners (two of the four can be used at the sametime). It will be very similiar to the current HD Tivo.

The HMC is a server based product which can fuction as a standalone device but is designed for multiroom usage. This server box has four D* tuners and two OTA tuners (4 of any 6 can be used at the sametime).
Longhorn,

Do you know the model number for the basic HD DVR?

Scott

Beginning August 1, 2005, for new subscribers starting new DIRECTV service for the first time, the new SD NDS DVR and possibly the basic HD STB will be no charge, but not for existing customers and assuming you agree to a 2 yr. programming commitment. This free equipment offer is not offered to new or existing customers for the HD DVR or HMC.

On a separate issue and regarding all existing DIRECTV HD customers; you will be upgraded to MPEG-4 equipment at no charge when MPEG-4 becomes available in your DMA. DIRECTV is rushing the development and manufacturing of a new MPEG second generation HD DVR to offer a replacement for the HR10-250 and it will be swapped at no charge, assuming you agree to an additional 2 yr. service agreement.

This is my understanding and is very reliable information, but not 100% official as of yet.

-Robert

Thanks Robert. That sounds about right if you ask me. The free for all is a bit too good to be true.

So, if the Tivo dealer is correct, then the best HD DVR deal for those of us that don't have one yet will still be with Dish, who has the leased equipment for a just under $300 fee. Is that correct?

Help me out here guys, because I'm getting ready to ditch DTV if that is correct.

Any details on the new HD-DVR? Will they require the same dual cable run to the box?

Well, free is what it should be. Their equipment is full of bugs and they do not support what they have out now. HD-tivo could be great if they would fix the hdmi, hicups, and audio problems.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
On a separate issue and regarding all existing DIRECTV HD customers; you will be upgraded to MPEG-4 equipment at no charge when MPEG-4 becomes available in your DMA.

Which means that if you want access to any national MPEG-4 channels, you'll have to pay to upgrade yourself...

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Which means that if you want access to any national MPEG-4 channels, you'll have to pay to upgrade yourself...

~Alan
If that's true that blows major chunks since my DMA will probably be at least a year away. I was excited earlier about the possibility of getting a free HD DVR(s) since I only have 2 non DVR hd boxes. But if I have to pay to get an HD DVR a wait over a year for new national... :mad: :mad: :mad: I hope Longhorn and Scott's info is closer to reality than DTV Tivo Dealer.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Beginning August 1, 2005, for new subscribers starting new DIRECTV service for the first time, the new SD NDS DVR and possibly the basic HD STB will be no charge, but not for existing customers and assuming you agree to a 2 yr. programming commitment. This free equipment offer is not offered to new or existing customers for the HD DVR or HMC.

On a separate issue and regarding all existing DIRECTV HD customers; you will be upgraded to MPEG-4 equipment at no charge when MPEG-4 becomes available in your DMA. DIRECTV is rushing the development and manufacturing of a new MPEG second generation HD DVR to offer a replacement for the HR10-250 and it will be swapped at no charge, assuming you agree to an additional 2 yr. service agreement.

This is my understanding and is very reliable information, but not 100% official as of yet.

-Robert

Any idea what options there will be for existing SD DVR customers who want to trade up to HD DVRs? I have two S1 DirecTv-with-TiVo receivers that I'd like to replace with HD-capable DVRs but cannot justify the cost of two HD TiVo DVR's. Ideally I'd like HMC so I can serve DVR functionality to both my TV's. I'll probably need a new dish as well. I have the original (and I do mean original, circa 1995) 18" round dish (that I upgraded to two LNB's somewhere along the way). I am in the NY market.

Bob

I would think if there are national channels available exclusively via MPEG4, Customer Retention will be able to offer similar deals to non-HD LIL DMA customers that want to upgrade earlier.

Here is how it should be. Those who bought the HR10-250 before the big price drop, should get the replacement HD DVR for free, with no additional commitment. And then when the HMO comes out, also get that for free, with a two year commitment. Those who bought the HR10-250 when it dropped to $699, should also get the new HD DVR for free and when the HMO comes out, they pay $300 for the HMO with a two year commitment.

I'm thinking if you want to upgrade early you'll be able to for $100-200 per HD DVR with a 2 year commitment. That would make sense. No way these boxes will cost anywhere near a TiVo box.

From what I'm hearing when new national HD channels are offered customers who agree to keep the HD Pak for two years will also get a free HD DVR upgrade. You can also upgrade to a basic non DVR HD box with a one year agreement to the HD Pak. Also whatever the price is for the HD Pak that price will be locked in for the length of your agreement of 1 or 2 years. So even if the price goes up your price will stay the same.

For the most part that is what I'm hearing. Again right now so much of the plans are rumored and scattered even for us with contacts so its best to wait until the official word comes out but I'm very confident that we HD customers will be taken care of even considering the NFL Sunday Ticket issue.

Robert,
Isn't this agreement for dealers kinda bad for ya'll? Meaning, for you to sell/rent equipment, you will have to ask for a 2 year commitment? Folks kinda cough when a 1 year agreement is required......now a 2 year agreement :eek:
There must be something elso going on....D* needs dealers. For a dealer to ask for a 2 year agreement........there has to be something very sweet....alot of things can change in 2 years (example-Fiber optics comes to mind).
That would be some $$'s when someone "breaks a 2 year agreement", alot of things can change in a familys life in two years (a new babby, loss of job, move....etc......).

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
Robert,
Isn't this agreement for dealers kinda bad for ya'll? Meaning, for you to sell/rent equipment, you will have to ask for a 2 year commitment? Folks kinda cough when a 1 year agreement is required......now a 2 year agreement :eek:
There must be something elso going on....D* needs dealers. For a dealer to ask for a 2 year agreement........there has to be something very sweet....alot of things can change in 2 years (example-Fiber optics comes to mind).
That would be some $$'s when someone "breaks a 2 year agreement", alot of things can change in a familys life in two years (a new babby, loss of job, move....etc......).

Barney

I'm hearing that customers at anytime during their agreement can return their boxes back to D* and avoid the cancellation fee. Now if they stay the entire two years they will never have to give the hardware back. Also the customer can pay the pro-rated cancellation fee so they could keep the hardware. Again nothing is perfect but if fiber comes along in your area and has a much better offering you will always have the option of giving back the hardware without having to pay one cent so you can move along to that new fiber solution.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)