Running Intel Viiv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KA3QOT

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hey all -

My desktop PC has Viiv technology, which I want to use to stream content to my TV through DirectTv.

I can see the DVR in my network, but don't know how to actually run Viiv, as depicted on Direct's website. How does one run Viiv?

Thanks.

Hi --

I've looked at this document, but can't see the VIIV icon on the Status Bar. I'm very good with computers, but don't know how to run anything from Intel.

Dennis

Is the Viiv media share software running on your PC (that should cause the icon to appear on the status bar)? My PC is AMD-based, so I don't have any actual experience with Viiv.

There's a sticker saying such on my Dell PC.

I guess the problem I'm having is how do I run part of an Intel chip functionality? Is it also conventional software?

As I understand it, Viiv is a combination of chip functionality and software. There was a link to the software download on the Directv site, but I can't find it now (nor at Intel's site).

Since Intel is essentially dropping Viiv, Directv really needs to abandon it and provide improved support (including trick play) for other DLNA implementations.

Other than trick play, Tversity works pretty well as does EyeConnect (although it doesn't do transcoding except for MP3 audio). Whenever the next version of MediaTomb finally gets released, I will also give that a try.

Under WMP11, Library - Media Sharing, I see the DirectTV Media Renderer as part of my network. However, I can't see the setting on my DVR.

Any ideas?

Under WMP11, Library - Media Sharing, I see the DirectTV Media Renderer as part of my network. However, I can't see the setting on my DVR.

Any ideas?

There is no setting on the DVR, just allow the box on media player and your HD DVR will show it up soon under Music, Photos & More. Also don't forget to allow for sharing on the folders where you have your media you want to play on your PC and you've added it to the library in WMP11.

I'm almost there. Only problem is video has no sound, Tried several different vids.

Any idea?

A few suggestions.

Temporarialy turn off any firewalls
Make sure you have Upnp icons set to visible when you view the network on your PC
Do a red button reboot of your DVR

Once you have connectivity, you can turn the fire wall back on.

A lack of audio means there is a issue with either the PC or the current version of softwars on the DVR.

Hey -

Don't have Upnp icons (I think since I have Vista), but have network discovery enabled.

Performed red button reboot with PC firewall off, still same problem. I receive a message from the DVR saying there is no sound with the video I select and do I want to play the video without it.

Any further ideas?

What types of videos don't have any audio, IIRC the HR2X doesn't support a lot of audio formats for Media Share.

I tried opening a folder that contained nothing but mpegs, and received an error message (along the lines of) there are no playable files in this folder.

Sorry then, I can play MPEG2's no problem, the box doesn't do MPEG4 on media share at this time.

Can you tell me which video file formats are supported, besides MPGs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)