GEOSATpro S/Q Question on microhd

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
ok look at these 2 pics, why would this happen? shouldnt i have 90% S on all TPs but i get 45 and no Q on some... what am i missing?

I should be on 83 with 73% Q on my Birdog.

Either i been out of the game too long and am messing something up or im having some kind of issue talking to the LNB.

IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1782.jpg

First, is something wrong with your TV? Looks like a bad component cable is connected. Since the microHD only has composite or HDMI, has a primary color failed?

Photo 1: Shows an active DVB transponder locked with correct parameters.

Photo 2: Shows either an inactive transponder or a transponder with incorrect parameter such as symbol rate or polarity.

45% SIgnal Level reading shows connection to a working LNBF that is generating noise or signal. The SL will move above 45% when on active DVB transponder with correct parameters.

no the tvs not broken, its hooked up HDMI and i just did the software update and hadnt put it back on 720p yet, its blue here now

ok so 45% is ok, only thing is i must be on the wrong bird haha i'll move it later

I believe the first tp transmits data and is always on while the second one looks like one of the tp's used for sng and not active at the time you did your test.

:facepalm

ok now i understand why 45% is showing but why is it doing this.... this is how i was seeing russia today this morning on 97, that feed i found on what i thought was 83 was stable but then i moved to 103 and got this same thing on a golf feed.... 105 was getting steady on macys radio. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? microhd, ppl lnb and 36" all from satav so the setup is pretty damn simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is how i was seeing russia today this morning on 97, that feed i found on what i thought was 83 was stable but then i moved to 103 and got this same thing on a golf feed.... 105 was getting steady on macys radio. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?

Unfortunately, with a Birdog you have no idea what transponder you are measuring, but you can be sure that it isn't the DVBS2 8psk transponder displayed on the microHD. The Birdog connection is out at the dish and on a vertical DVBS transponder. The microHD is inside with another length of coax cable and tuned to another polarity and signal type. The S2 8PSK signal requires a much better signal quality to display high bandwidth programming (but this would not explain the problem with RT news). We would be unable to trouble shoot much with this test.

1. From your description it sounds like certain transponders are causing the Signal Quality readings to drop, while other transponders are steady?
  2. Have you noticed if the problem is with one polarity or affects both polarities?
  3. Did you connect the Birdog inside, in place of the microHD?
  4. While inside, did you place the Birdog on a Horizontal transponder and get a lock?
  5. While outside, did you place the Birdog on a Horizontal transponder and get a lock?
  6. What is the voltage received from the microHD measured at the LNBF on a vertical transponder?
  7. What is the voltage at the LNBF on a horizontal transponder?
  8. What is the voltage outputted from the microHD measured at the STB on a vertical transponder?
  9. What is the voltage outputted from the microHD measured at the STB on a horizontal transponder?
  10. Is the satellite signal passing through those tree limbs or is the satellite above the tree? Hard to tell from the video, but the tree looks mighty close... Often one polarity or strong transponders can pass through tree limbs with minimal attenuation and others are affected exactly as the dropping Signal Quality shows.
  11. What type of coax is used between the microHD and the LNBF?
  12. Any splitters, barrels, switches?
  13. New coax or existing cables?
  14. Does the microHD lock onto the fluctuating signals if outside at the dish or using another temporary coax?

that tree is on the edge of 103, 97 at the top im pretty sure it clears it, 83 is not, same symptoms in all cases. will double check with dishpointer ar.

will troubleshoot those and let you know, i did a couple of those suggestions earlier but not enough...

Will start with replacing my cable run, 2 barrels and its a lil too short and looks bad any way. DAMN and i just seen a ridiculously stupid deal on good coax the other day now to find it heh

how to check voltage on the cable...

i do have a multi meter but not very proficient with all settings, usually just use it to check voltages in the car.

probe placement???

You know, sometimes a person can spend too much time over-analyzing things....

Set and aim your dish.
Use GOOD cable all the way into the house.
Hook it to your tv with a good cable, using a proper input.
Watch tv...

Multimeter:
Use VDC setting (just like with a car)
Auto or the 20 or 50vdc scale
Red probe to center of coax
Black probe to connector

Vertical TP = 13vdc +/- 10%
Horizontal TP = 18vdc +/- 10%

Multimeter:
Use VDC setting (just like with a car)
Auto or the 20 or 50vdc scale
Red probe to center of coax
Black probe to connector

Vertical TP = 13vdc +/- 10%
Horizontal TP = 18vdc +/- 10%

10-4, will check current and new coax, probably next weekend, damn job and standard time, dark at 5:00 :(

that tree is on the edge of 103, 97 at the top im pretty sure it clears it, 83 is not, same symptoms in all cases. will double check with dishpointer ar.

Look up the underside of the LNBF arm. If the bottom arm points above the trees, all is good as the satellite is approximately 6 degrees higher than the bottom arm is pointing. :D

GEOSATpro firmware upgrade

GEOSATpro Post November 2012 firmware reboot cycle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)