S234 12-13-12

Things I've noticed so far :-

- MANUAL TIMERS!!!
- Slight UI updates
- When you highlight recording folders, it now indicates how many are unwatched
- When you highlight an event on the guide, if the title doesn't fit within the time block, it will now scroll so that you can read the entire title.
- (not tested yet) Probably can now record OTA channels that have no guide data, since there are now manual timers.
- Maybe more things that I haven't found yet.

It appears that PTAT is always on, but only recording during primetime? Red button shows all big four networks are all active.

It appears that PTAT is always on, but only recording during primetime? Red button shows all big four networks are all active.

Whenever you turn to a big 4 network it pulls in all 4 on one tuner, it isn't recording. The big benefit is that if someone at the Hopper wants to watch ABC and someone at the Joey wants to watch NBC, it only takes up one tuner. Once you change channels to a non big 4 network, that tuner will go back to normal on the TV Viewing Status screen. It's pretty neat and a good way to save tuners when viewing a big 4.

Last edited:
I sure hope we all get S234 soon. I really want manual timers. Please report back on testing the manual timers. I want to know if it works right.

The OTA signal meter now updates very rapidly.
Blue button pulls up more apps: Gamefinder, Weather Channel, Pandora, Facebook, RedZone

Things I've noticed so far :-

- MANUAL TIMERS!!!
- Slight UI updates
- When you highlight recording folders, it now indicates how many are unwatched
- When you highlight an event on the guide, if the title doesn't fit within the time block, it will now scroll so that you can read the entire title.
- (not tested yet) Probably can now record OTA channels that have no guide data, since there are now manual timers.
- Maybe more things that I haven't found yet.

You can go to an OTA channel and highlight a show or a time block airing in the future and press select and the manual timer screen will pop up automatically. Or you can press the DVR button 4x followed by the green button to set up a manual timer.

I sure hope we all get S234 soon. I really want manual timers. Please report back on testing the manual timers. I want to know if it works right.

Well it definitely works, however instead of the recordings being the name of the show, they are just the name of the manual timer (e.g. 182 DISC 8:05-8:07AM etc.) and the logo is just the generic channel logo. It's still a great start though. All the options that were on the 722 as far as manual timers are concerned are now on Hopper.

Whenever you turn to a big 4 network it pulls in all 4 on one tuner, it isn't recording. The big benefit is that if someone at the Hopper wants to watch ABC and someone at the Joey wants to watch NBC, it only takes up one tuner. Once you change channels to a non big 4 network, that tuner will go back to normal on the TV Viewing Status screen. It's pretty neat and a good way to save tuners when viewing a big 4.

That is pretty darn neat!

You can go to an OTA channel and highlight a show or a time block airing in the future and press select and the manual timer screen will pop up automatically. Or you can press the DVR button 4x followed by the green button to set up a manual timer.

Good to know! Can't wait for my Hopper with the OTA dongle to get the update.

Last edited:

That sounds pretty helpful. It's going to be hard to explain to people but still a very helpful feature.

How about other stations that are on that transponder such as PBS, CW, MNT etc?

Just checked my Hopper in the showroom and it has the new software too. I turned the Hopper and Joey each on a different local channel and sure enough, it only took up one tuner.

How about other stations that are on that transponder such as PBS, CW, MNT etc?

Just the big 4.

I wonder if it's just the easiest way to capitalize on existing code, a KISS principle decision, or a hardware limitation on how many demux streams the box can handle.

The OTA signal meter now updates very rapidly.
Blue button pulls up more apps: Gamefinder, Weather Channel, Pandora, Facebook, RedZone

Can you check and see if you can now ADD an individual ota station in the ota menu without having to scan? Like the Vip series does. If you can then the ota menu on the hopper will work similar to the Vip series, especially with the addition of manual timers.

Well it definitely works, however instead of the recordings being the name of the show, they are just the name of the manual timer (e.g. 182 DISC 8:05-8:07AM etc.) and the logo is just the generic channel logo. It's still a great start though. All the options that were on the 722 as far as manual timers are concerned are now on Hopper.

That is pretty darn neat!

Good to know! Can't wait for my Hopper with the OTA dongle to get the update.

Sounds good. Thanks for the report.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)