Status
Please reply by conversation.

hicks107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
ny
Hi,

I have an Openbox S9 I have had for just over a year. Suddenly the LNB power stopped working properly. It provides enough juice to illuminate the LED on my SG6000, but as soon as you hook up the LNB it stops giving enough current to power anything. I even tested the output with a Voltmeter. The output is at 18v or 13v until you put a load on it such as LNB. Then the power drops to around 5 volts. I know its not the LNB because I tested the setup at a friends house and had the same problem and I tested my LNB on his working S9 and everything was fine.

I need to find a solution, preferably cheap, to power the LNB but still use the S9. I was looking at powered diseqcs but I cant find one thats inexpensive. I have a spare FTA box that I dont use anymore and I am considering using it to power the LNB but I want something a little less bulky.

I could crack the openbox open and see if a capacitor is blown or something but that might be my last resort.

As always, thanks. Everyone on this forum always is a huge help.

Seems to be a re-occuring theme: LNB power problems,
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/278395-openbox-s9-lnb-voltage-when-receiver.html
and : http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/277177-lnb-v-h-voltage.html

A work around would be a splitter that passes power on one leg, and blocks it on the other. Satellite AV, LLC - Satellite Broadcaster Support and Equipment Distribution Ugly, but gets the system up again. Power pass to LNB supply, blocked side to the failed unit.
(Crossing my fingers I don't have the same failure)

Thanks for the link. Results below.

I noticed something very interesting when conducting these tests. My issue only appears to be present on Horizontal frequencies. Here is what happened today: I powered up the unit and went to "antenna setup." I was pointed to AMC3 looking at 11720H. My signal was HOT, then all of a sudden it disappeared (which is what usually happens). Then I switched to 11736V to get those voltages and it never died. So the issue only appears to be on Horizontal?? I let it sit on a horizontal freq for a few minutes, then switched back to vert. It took about 20 seconds for it to go hot on verticle, but it stayed hot.

Here are my results with an LNB and an SG6000 attached:

Resistor: 220ohms (powered off of course)

Horz. channel
1=18.5v output
2=19.75v control v.
3=24v input

Vert. channel
1=13.57v
2=14.8v
3=23.74v

All of the power supply voltages checked out.

All of your measurements look good. In fact it should be working perfectly. I don't know what is going on here other than to say your symptoms are identical to the trouble I had except that my resistor had overheated to a much higher value. The resistor and regulator was changed and fixed the receiver.

Now that I think about it, I tested the resistor long before I powered anything on. Maybe I will let the horizontal issue to occur, causing it to heat up?? Then test the resistor again. Maybe its a heat issue.

How the heck did you replace that tiny resistor? I have soldered PCBs before but nothing that small!!!

All of your measurements look good. In fact it should be working perfectly. I don't know what is going on here other than to say your symptoms are identical to the trouble I had except that my resistor had overheated to a much higher value. The resistor and regulator was changed and fixed the receiver.

Please Post links to which parts to replace to fix

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Now that I think about it, I tested the resistor long before I powered anything on. Maybe I will let the horizontal issue to occur, causing it to heat up?? Then test the resistor again. Maybe its a heat issue.

How the heck did you replace that tiny resistor? I have soldered PCBs before but nothing that small!!!

If the resistor measures 220 ohms, it is probably ok. If it had overheated the value would change (usually higher) and stay there.
To replace it just snip in half and tack solder the legs of a 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistor from Radio Shack on the top side of the board. As for the regulator you should probably pull the board and solder it from the bottom side.

PRO96 scroll up there are several links posted already.

Thanks again. Since both the resistor and the regulator check out okay its probably something else. Im not sure what though...

Thanks again. Since both the resistor and the regulator check out okay its probably something else. Im not sure what though...
Don't feel alone. My issue is still ongoing. Changed regulator and resistor checked out OK.
A problem I have with my S9 is that if you did use another power supply for the LNB's, it does not give you power from the receiver to "work" switches.

My dad has an S9 that did this same thing. It took quite a while to figure out what was going on.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/270235-major-malfunctions-my-folks-s9-need.html

We eventually figured out it was bad and had it replaced. It's still a little sketchy but I think it's because he tries to watch channels that are weak/flaky like Montana PBS and then the tuner poops it's pants, he gets mad, powers it off and it stays off for a few days. He's still unhappy with it. I don't blame him. I have an S10 and I'm unhappy with it though for different reasons.. Openbox is pretty low rent stuff of very dubious quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts