Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dear Friends,

I have some sad news to share, it appears that our friend John Hotsenpiller known to us as JohnH passed away last month.

JohnH was and will forever be known as the Godfather of the Uplink Reports. JohnH was the first to start reporting on the uplink activity back in the days of DBSDISH.COM / DBSFORUMS.COM, John then helped by posting uplink info at DBSTALK.COM and then moved over here to SatelliteGuys.

Not many people know this but John helped Digiblur write and maintain the automatic uplink reporting software we run here at SatelliteGuys. John worked secretly in the background on our software as he didn't want to upset the other site. He was an all around SatelliteGuy who enjoyed helping everyone learn about satellite and uplink technology.

A few months ago JohnH asked me for some help, he had quit a job and went out on his own with his pride and not much else. After he quit and moved he would check on the site from the library or on his cell phone. He wanted to help us improve our uplink software even more and asked if I had an old laptop I could send him. I didn't even think twice and went out and purchased him a new one and sent it to him.

He was very happy with it... This was the last Private Message I received from him, which was on July 21st.

It works great.
Plugged the USB stick and loaded my programs and it does run GWBASIC AND .BAT files Have to take my Blackberry CD and the stick to the library to copy the CD to the stick. Then see if the Blackberry tools will work on the Acer. That will allow me to send and receive files to/from digiblur without the library. Don't need to do that very often. I probably will not have the Acer on the internet for a while. The functionality it has now is what I need for now.
Thanks for the mouse and the BIG Screen.
biggrin.gif

John

John's last vist to SatelliteGuys was on July 27th.

Over the past few weeks I PMed Digiblur a couple of times asking if he heard anything from John. Digiblur heard nothing and was getting concerned himself.

Over the weekend the SatelliteGuys uplink PC stopped working, so I pinged Digiblur this morning about it and about John's status.

Then I decided typed John's name into Google and found the following from the Daily News Online. Daily News Online | Week of Aug. 16, 2010

John Hotsenpiller
John Hotsenpiller, 65, Kansas City, Mo. and formerly of Bridgeport, died Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2010 at his residence.

Burial will be a private service.

I knew John was 65 and also knew he was living in Kansas City, MO. I had found out why John was missing. John has passed away.

Thank you John for all your help over the years, thanks for the gift of how to read the uplinks, as I said before you were and always will be the Godfather of Uplink Reports.

Rest in Peace my friend!

Doing some more research, I found this...

Jackson County medical examiner looking for family of deceased man

The Jackson County Medical Examiner’s Office is looking for the family of John Hotsenpiller.

Hotsenpiller was found dead at his home in the 500 block of E. Armour Boulevard. He died of natural causes.

Anyone with information regarding his relatives is asked to contact the on-duty investigator at 816-881-6600.

Wow... I'm in shock and don't know what to say.

Looks like I need to dig through the source code of his parser that feeds the uplink report tool and figure out the issue. His legacy will live on here though!

John Hotsenpiller

BRIDGEPORT, Ill. ‚Ä” John Hotsenpiller, 65, Kansas City, Mo., and formerly of Bridgeport, died Aug. 3, 2010.

He worked in electronics and was a graduate of Bridgeport Township High School.

Survivors are two brothers, Richard L. Hotsenpiller, Olney and Chris Hotsenpiller, Robinson; and six nieces and nephews.

The funeral will be at 5 p.m. CDT Wednesday at the Whitehouse Cemetery north of Bridgeport. Cunningham Funeral Home, 441 Lanterman St., handled arrangements.

------

I'm sure some of us have gone through this same thing on the forums. One day the person is here and next they are gone. Kinda makes me want to tell others around me that if something ever happens to please visit a few forums and let people know what happened.

Rip john. First friend I ever made here and at dbs. Very helpful.super nice guy.

It's always sad to hear news like this.

I hope that he was not all alone during his last days-\ as it sounds.

He was definitely a good guy, that you could tell from his comments, alone.

He will be missed.

Be blessed JohnH.

No kidding; agree with all. 65 is way too young, and dying alone (if that's what happens) makes it all the more sad.

RIP, JohnH. You will be missed.

He will be missed. I know he was a sports fan too, because he would pop in to the sports forum every now and then. R.I.P.

RIP. Really makes the mortality hit home having just had my birthday on Friday (53).

That's like the 3rd person I know (of) that has been taken early in the last year.

Really Su:mad:tm).

..Kinda makes me want to tell others around me that if something ever happens to please visit a few forums and let people know what happened.
Yeah, that's kinda why I started the "What ever happened to ______" thread in the Pub Members forum. You talk to people and build friendships or acquaintances on the forums, often over a period of years, and one day out-of-the-blue you realize that you haven't heard from a member in weeks or perhaps months. You always rationalize they are taking a break for personal reasons (endless number of life circumstances), but you never know for sure..and it bugs you (at least me) if you don't find out they're alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts