Saints violate NFL Bounty rules, paid bonuses to injure players

seriously though after hearing that i don't doubt that the commish may never allow this guy back in the league again.......
And they honestly shouldnt let him back. The concussion talk and going after the ACL is pretty damning.
I understand wanting to get your players fired up, and yes it is football, but this is WAY over the line.

And they honestly shouldnt let him back. The concussion talk and going after the ACL is pretty damning.
I understand wanting to get your players fired up, and yes it is football, but this is WAY over the line.

I agree. Those are the two that jumped out on me. Everything else is normal and part of the game which is violent. It's common to want to "test" a players injury.its part of wanting to explore the weaknesses of the team you'll be facing that week.that's why you look at injury reports. But going for people's heads knowing they have suffered a concussion or purposely doing what you can to tear someone's acl is excessive.

If an interim coach does well, I think the Saints will have a hard time justifying the $7m+ salary Payton makes. Pretty easy to fire him with cause after this mess.
Saints games are selling out after years of hard times. I think the fans would revolt if they let Payton go. Don't think management would want that. You never know though.

Looks like they're planning on having Vitt coach the preseason, have some internal fill in while he is suspended, then have Vitt finish the year as HC. This would allow for continuity on offense and defense and not taking either coordinator away/distract with HC duties.

Under the terms of his season-long suspension for his role in New Orleans' bounty program, coach Sean Payton is not allowed to have any contact with the Saints organization or anyone around the NFL, and if he does, must report it to league executive Ray Anderson, a source familiar with the suspension tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

I wonder what does does to Payton's chances of working on TV this season. Does he need contact with "anyone around the NFL" to do that job??

New Orleans Saints' Sean Payton barred from all league contact, source says - ESPN

All I can say, is 'Wow'.... :eek:

The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Sources familiar with Saints game-day operations told "Outside the Lines" that Loomis, who faces an eight-game suspension from the NFL for his role in the recent bounty scandal, had the ability to secretly listen for most of the 2002 season, his first as general manager of the Saints, and all of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The sources spoke with "Outside the Lines" under the condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals from members of the Saints organization.

Sources: New Orleans Saints' Mickey Loomis could eavesdrop on opposing coaches during home games - ESPN

Looks like Pro Football Talk is weighing in and they think it does not hold water:

At first blush, allegations of Loomis espionage make no sense

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT

AP
ESPN currently is making a big deal about the allegation that Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis was eavesdropping on the communications in which opposing coaches engaged during games. At first blush, however, the notion that Loomis would find value in hearing the play calls and other communications between the opponents’ coaches makes no sense.

As ESPN’s Bill Polian said when asked to explain the edge that the Saints obtained doing this, “There’s something missing here. I don’t know what kind of competitive advantage you could get. Mickey would have to know the verbiage of every other opposing team in order to translate, and then he would have to do it instantly and find some way to communicate with his coaching staff, and get it down to the field in time to be useful. That would be very difficult to do, in my opinion.”

Polian’s right, and he has no natural incentive to help the team that beat his Colts for a Super Bowl that culminated a season in which bounties allegedly were used. If Loomis knew what the opposing coaches were saying, there would have been no way to translate that information into something that could be used to the Saints’ benefit.

Even if the conversations were being taped and later given to the coaching staff, there’s no way to take that information and turn it into anything that could be used in a future game.

That doesn’t mean the situation shouldn’t be fully investigated. But it would be ludicrous for Loomis to engage in a blatant violation of federal law if there was nothing to be gained by doing so.

UPDATE 4:34 p.m. ET: As ESPN’s Adam Schefter also pointed out on the air, Loomis isn’t “an Xs and Os evaluator, so it would be difficult for him to get that information down to somebody in a timely fashion when that’s not the language he’s accustomed to speaking. He’s accustomed to dealing with agents, doing contracts, managing the cap, finagling the roster, not dealing with play calls and Xs and Os.”

At first blush, allegations of Loomis espionage make no sense | ProFootballTalk

So, because he's not familiar with the terminology, or the information learned couldn't be communicated to those who could in a timely manner, it's OK to cheat??

Even if the conversations were being taped and later given to the coaching staff, there’s no way to take that information and turn it into anything that could be used in a future game.
Wasn't that the reasoning behind the Spygate punishments; that they potentially could be used in the future??

So, because he's not familiar with the terminology, or the information learned couldn't be communicated to those who could in a timely manner, it's OK to cheat??

Wasn't that the reasoning behind the Spygate punishments; that they potentially could be used in the future??

Spy gate was for taping signals and walktbrough for a game about to be played.

This stuff makes little sense, I agree with PFT.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Spy gate was for taping signals and walktbrough for a game about to be played.

This stuff makes little sense, I agree with PFT.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yes, a walkthrough for Super Bowl XXXVI, but a few during actual games also:

According to the certification document obtained by the Globe, the tapes include:

Signals from Dolphins coaches in a game Sept. 24, 2000.

Offensive and defensive signals of Dolphins coaches from a game Oct. 7, 2001.

Signals from Bills coaches from a Nov. 11, 2001, game.

Signals from Browns coaches from a game Dec. 9, 2001.

Two tapes of signals from Steelers coaches from the 2001 AFC Championship game, held Jan. 27, 2002.

Signals from Chargers coaches from a game Sept. 29, 2002.

Walsh has tapes, but not of walkthrough - The Boston Globe

Yes, a walkthrough for Super Bowl XXXVI, but a few during actual games also:

Walsh has tapes, but not of walkthrough - The Boston Globe

BostonHeraldCoverMay14.jpg

Matt Walsh lied, no one taped the Rams walkthrough.

New England Patriots: Matt Walsh's Credibility Problem | Bleacher Report

Why do you keep saying this?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)