Saints violate NFL Bounty rules, paid bonuses to injure players

Interesting...

In the league’s announcement about Goodell upholding the suspensions of Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma, Packers defensive end Anthony Hargrove, Saints defensive end Will Smith and Browns linebacker Scott Fujita, a portion of the letter from Goodell to the players indicates that the commissioner still wants to hear from the players and is committed to listening to what they have to say.

“While this decision constitutes my final and binding determination under the CBA, I of course retain the inherent authority to reduce a suspension should facts be brought to my attention warranting the exercise of that discretion,” Goodell wrote to the players. “The record confirms that each of you was given multiple chances to meet with me to present your side of the story. You are each still welcome to do so.”

Goodell urges Saints to meet with him, could reduce suspensions | ProFootballTalk

'Fidel' Goodell extending an olive branch?

News from what I gather reading Twitter:

Union filed a new suit today challenging Goodell's authority to rule in the bounty case citing him as a biased arbitrator. This is one of the few ways to try and get around arbitration is proof of bias. Definitely a very steep uphill battle there. Florio or someone noted this lawsuit doesn't even seek an injunction in the meantime.

Unrelated, Goodell/NFL had to respond by today to Vilma's defamation suit (which has been combined with his other lawsuit against punishment I think) and has done so including 550 pages of the current CBA/excerpts of it explaining why the lawsuit is improper under it's terms. Also filed for an oral argument for dismissal.

they're chicken alright. chicken $#:+!

Interesting by Schefter on Mike & Mike:

"...it is the equivalent of overturning of a call be instant replay. They(the NFL office) may not have had what they thought they had...."

Nothing wrong with 'Fidel' Goodell say, 'hey. maybe after reviewing the facts, I may have overstated what really happened...' Because IF this goes to court and the court rules in the players favor....oh boy, you have a SERIOUS power undermining in the NFL and the players WILL challenge EVERYTHING the league does with lawsuits.

The league offered 8 games, I say give him 6 and be done with it.

An often overlooked component here is Vilma's refusal to meet with Goodell during the investigative phase. If he had, maybe this reduced punishment would have been the original one handed down...

While sources said league attorneys have urged Goodell to offer reductions in the suspensions as a settlement, a league official reiterated Goodell's position that if the players had participated fully in the appeals process, the commissioner may have reduced the penalties as he has with other players who have been disciplined in other cases. The league official also noted that the current legal proceeding began with a settlement conference.

Sources -- Jonathan Vilma suspension could be reduced if he withdraws civil suit - ESPN

An often overlooked component here is Vilma's refusal to meet with Goodell during the investigative phase. If he had, maybe this reduced punishment would have been the original one handed down...

That is a good point. But seeing that the league supposedly offered this reduction without meeting, maybe there is some substance to the fact that IS PROOF of pay-for-performance and NOT bounty hunting....which is what Vilma denies and the league insists.

I believe the leak to ESPN was Vilma's lawyers. It has made it seem like the NFL is willing to cave, which I don't think they are.

I just wish this would have a resolution, I'm tired of seeing the "indoor" quarterback with his face in every camera he can find whining and bitching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts