sammy 1080p purchase decision

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi all,

I'm seeing a sammy 1080p 56" dlp set that I'm considering buying...but I have a few concerns:

1- With this set is there truth to the rumors that a std DVD will look bad on it? I'd hate to give up good HD viewing just for DVDs.

2- Similar to above, I'm upgrading to digital cable, mostly SD with a couple HD channels. Will the SD digital channels look ok with this set?

3- I'm not much of a gamer, but I've heard there is (or was) a video/sound delay running games thru it (my kids have a gamecube). Is this still an issue?

Thanks for any opinions you can offer!
Jerry

Jerry I am looking at the same question.

I am looking at the HL-R5678 which is a 56 inch 1080p set with CableCard and built in TV guide and the new HL-S5687 which is also a 56 inch 1080p.

The differences is the new model is $400 more and does not have CableCard/QAM support nor the built in TV guide. The new TV supports 1080p input while the older set does not but it upconverts all 1080i to 1080p.

The new set uses the color wheel like the old one, this one is not one of the new LED units which replaced the color wheel with LED's to generate the colors.

To me I don't see the new set bing an upgrade. I can get the HL-R5678 for $1999 while the new set is $2,499.

I would love to know why the $2,499 is the better set? Anyone got any of these TV's whats your thoughts on them?

JerryK said:
Hi all,

I'm seeing a sammy 1080p 56" dlp set that I'm considering buying...but I have a few concerns:

1- With this set is there truth to the rumors that a std DVD will look bad on it? I'd hate to give up good HD viewing just for DVDs.

2- Similar to above, I'm upgrading to digital cable, mostly SD with a couple HD channels. Will the SD digital channels look ok with this set?

3- I'm not much of a gamer, but I've heard there is (or was) a video/sound delay running games thru it (my kids have a gamecube). Is this still an issue?

Thanks for any opinions you can offer!
Jerry

Onecall, $2399 no tax, no shipping charge Sammy HLS5687w 1080p. 12 months no interest. Mine is on order.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Jerry I am looking at the same question.

I am looking at the HL-R5678 which is a 56 inch 1080p set with CableCard and built in TV guide and the new HL-S5687 which is also a 56 inch 1080p.

The differences is the new model is $400 more and does not have CableCard/QAM support nor the built in TV guide. The new TV supports 1080p input while the older set does not but it upconverts all 1080i to 1080p.

The new set uses the color wheel like the old one, this one is not one of the new LED units which replaced the color wheel with LED's to generate the colors.

To me I don't see the new set bing an upgrade. I can get the HL-R5678 for $1999 while the new set is $2,499.

I would love to know why the $2,499 is the better set? Anyone got any of these TV's whats your thoughts on them?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665890&page=1

upconversion vs accepting 1080p input and the ability to turn off picture enhancements through a game mode selection to reduce gamer lag, are the big differences. With the 78 you have to go through secret service menu codes to turn off DNie to reduce game lag I believe. The new game mode is supposed to totally eliminate the lag. The new color wheel is 2.2" 5 segments at 14,400 RPm vs 7 segment 10,800 RPM color wheel on the old model. New model also has some "my color control" feature to adjust the 3 primary colors the way you want them. Colr banding is also supposed to have reduced or eliminated on the new set. I was looking at the older 50 " model but decided on the new 56" model that has a smaller foot underneath it and will fit on a smaller stand.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I think we're going to go with the newer one. :)

I just got the s-5687 from Crutchfield and you do see heavy compression on some SD channels, but I'm living with it as more and more move to HD, this will be less. The HD is stunning on this. I love it.

Yeah its my first DLP. Just got it TODAY. Holy crap what an awesome picture.!! I have to admit OAR is much better at 56 inches.

riffjim4069 said:
I take it you're watching HD DVR and not D* HD.:rolleyes: I was going to buy a new set this year, but I've decided to wait on SED. Anyway, congrats!!

This experience is explaining to me how Newbies with D* and perhaps their first HDTV are not seeing so many problems. Problems are there but they are not noticing them yet or are not aware of them yet. The picture is so bright, so deep in contrast and color that you ignore the deficiencies of the provider to a further extent because the TV can do a brilliant job with whatever signal it gets. I watched The longest yard last evening on SHOHD or HBOHD (I forget which one) and while there were some problems with the picture, it was a much more enjoyable experience than on my old RPTV. OTAHD from CBS looks absolutely incredible, but my multicast happy PBSHD sucks even worse and what D* was doing to HDnet last night was atrocious, couldnt watch it. ABC and ESPNHD looked great. HDDVD... unbelievable.

vurbano said:
This experience is explaining to me how Newbies with D* and perhaps their first HDTV are not seeing so many problems. Problems are there but they are not noticing them yet or are not aware of them yet. The picture is so bright, so deep in contrast and color that you ignore the deficiencies of the provider to a further extent because the TV can do a brilliant job with whatever signal it gets. I watched The longest yard last evening on SHOHD or HBOHD (I forget which one) and while there were some problems with the picture, it was a much more enjoyable experience than on my old RPTV. OTAHD from CBS looks absolutely incredible, but my multicast happy PBSHD sucks even worse and what D* was doing to HDnet last night was atrocious, couldnt watch it. ABC and ESPNHD looked great. HDDVD... unbelievable.

lucky you... Any Rainbow Side effects?

Sean Mota said:
lucky you... Any Rainbow Side effects?

I havent seen them yet. I've watched DLP at a friends house and didn't see any. I might have to tone down the set a bit or switch viewing modes though. The Dynamic viewing mode presets are pretty intense on the eyes.

I have a 6187 and went to it from a GW III LCD.

I heard all these stories about SD PQ and honestly I don't see what anyone is getting at.

SD looks great in comparison to my GW III.

DVD's look...different...its hard to explain. In some instances I'd say they look a litlte softer but in others they look way better.

Maybe its just me adjusting or my initial impression before calibration.

I would however take this over any other 1080p on the market. Side by side it just killed the SXRD.

I'm waiting to try HD DVD.

Xbox 360 looks amazing and with Prey and Call of Duty 2 I left Game Mode off and still found it more than acceptable.

BlackHitachi said:
Do you have the set in a bright room? If so is there any glare?
These sets are great at dealing with glare. I can now watch TV with all of my lights on if I please. I suppose the set is so bright that its not really noticeable. My old RPTV could not hide glare this well, even with a glare screen. Im sure if you held a bulb infront of it, in close proximity you would see a problem but normal light is no problem.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
These sets are great at dealing with glare. I can now watch TV with all of my lights on if I please. I suppose the set is so bright that its not really noticeable. My old RPTV could not hide glare this well, even with a glare screen. Im sure if you held a bulb infront of it, in close proximity you would see a problem but normal light is no problem.

Cool thank you for the reply. I know in the store this set looks great!!

BlackHitachi said:
Cool thank you for the reply. I know in the store this set looks great!!

2 things you should be aware of. As with anything it is not perfect. DNIE can introduce artifacts and I think on some material it introduces sparklies in black areas on my set. But you can however, easily turn it off. Also as I have read on AVS, there can be smudges in the middle of the screen typically that are dirt areas between 2 screens inside the unit. I have 2 small, very faint ones. You only see them when there is a bright white background. Sort of hing you wouldnt notice unless someone told you about it. You can thank me later LMAO. ;) Its VERY unnoticeable and Im not sure I am going to do anything about it. I still think this is the best for the money IMO. LCD is too expensive for me and even a good 50 Plasma would have cost a lot more. Im very timid about LCD dead pixels and plasma burn in. Just 2 risks I dont want to take at the price.

Last edited:
WOW I have yet to see a DLP-LCD or plasma that comes close to my CRT RP. But all videophiles say I have the best TV on the market at ANY price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)