Samsung/Tivo DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MurphieNB

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 2, 2005
Edom TX
Although I've been a DirecTV customer for many years, I'm new to DVRs, just recently got into an HR20. My second TV, which is non-HD, and won't be upgraded any time in the near future, I'm running one of my former hand me down DirecTV units. But I've been given a Samsung/Tivo SIR S4040R, and wondered whether it's still considered a good unit.

By that I mean, is this something that is still viable with DirecTV? I know that D is moving toward their own DVR technology, moving away from Tivo units. I can't seem to find any recent references to this unit through the search options, so I'm guessing it's possibly more than a couple of years old.

Outside of it's non-HD capability (which for the second TV, I don't need), and it's small hard drive (40GB), is there any reason not to pursue activating this with DirecTV?

Thanks, Jim

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
i say go ahead activate it, another dvr never hurts, if the small hdd bothers you check out ptvupgrade.com
your hdd can easily be upgraded so you coul dhave lots more record time with your tivo
this is for dtv tivo's only not the hr20

MurphieNB

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 2, 2005
Edom TX
Unfortunately I'm on the road a lot, but I tried to get this unit activated this past weekend. What should have been a 5 minute call to DirecTV CSR turned into a 30 minute call because the CSR apparently had little experience with activating a unit!

After all was done, I didn't have any locals. He put me on hold, and came back to say that I needed a new card to activate the unit. Why didn't he tell me that up front.? I was just PO'd at the whole experience, and told him to reactivate my other unit instead. Since this was for a secondary TV, and I didn't really need the DVR aspect, I will probably just stay with what I have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)