Sat Mex problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wshillington

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Hi:

I've been playing around with FTA for close to a year and I've been pretty happy with it. My one 'total failure' has been Sat Mex 5 at 116.8W. I understand there are some FTA channels on it and when I do a blind scan (univeral LNB) I get lots of strong TP's but never a channel. I'm located in Nova Scotia, Canada. Should I be getting any channels and if so can someone tell be what TPs I should be sticking into my receiver. Thanks
cheers
Bryce

Satmex is a BUGGER to get. I am in Minnesota and its tough (I can't get BYU TV to save my soul...no pun intended). I can get a few transponders

I just looked at their footprint and here is why. I am between the lines of 44 & 45 so to get this I need a larger dish (probably a 36" for sure). Canada barely makes it on their map (except for Toronto area.) I dont think you'd get it even with a 8 foot dish.

The lower the number, the larger the dish you'd need

Attachments

• satmex5_ku2.gif
    satmex5_ku2.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 181
Hi Iceberg:

Nova Scotia is not even close to that footprint so I am out of luck. Actually my favourite satellite these days is Amozonas at 60W. Have you ever checked that one out?
cheers
Bryce

yep. I can get over to that with no issues...they got some decent stuff on there. :)

I can get maybe 1 or 2 transponders on Satmex with a decent signal (decent meaning little or no breakups) and about 4 or 5 with low signal/breakups.

If you are looking for Spanish programming, have you thought about Hispasat 1C/1D at 30 degrees west? Lots of Spanish programming on there

http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistATL.html

Hi:

No, I don't speak Spanish. Just English and a tiny, tiny bit of French. When I had my motor and dish set up perfectly last summer I could get as far east as 12.5W (atlantic bird). I couldn't really get much between that sat and Pas 9 (58W). Might have been something blocking the signal. Since then I have tried to 'improve' things by playing with the antenna mount and can't get any further east then Pas 9. Going to have to fix that this spring.
cheers
Bryce

Hi:
I know but I really get a kick out of finding a satellite, scanning it and seeing all these new channels. Most are useless but its nice to tell my friends I get a couple hundred different channels for free. Of course..... they start laughing at me when they see what most of them are!
Cheers
Bryce

Iceberg said:
Satmex is a BUGGER to get. I am in Minnesota and its tough (I can't get BYU TV to save my soul...no pun intended). I can get a few transponders

I just looked at their footprint and here is why. I am between the lines of 44 & 45 so to get this I need a larger dish (probably a 36" for sure). Canada barely makes it on their map (except for Toronto area.) I dont think you'd get it even with a 8 foot dish.

The lower the number, the larger the dish you'd need

Back when I had Direcway, they had me pointed at Satmex5... they only put customers in the South on that bird, and that was with their big 1 meter dish. Others were assigned G4R or AMC9 or a think there is another one out there, too.

G4 would be for DirecPC...I have a one of them dishes and there is a DBS "Pencil" LNB for 101 right next to it

snathanb said:
Back when I had Direcway, they had me pointed at Satmex5... they only put customers in the South on that bird, and that was with their big 1 meter dish. Others were assigned G4R or AMC9 or a think there is another one out there, too.
They had me on G11 and nearly every time a dark cloud passed by, I would lose the signal. Luckily for me (after some years) the local land line started doing DSL, so I dropped them and saved myself $20 a month to boot. Not to mention the speed improvement went up about the same as when I left Dial-Up and started with Direcway. I piddled around for 6 months or so after the phone DSL started, trying to be loyal to those that gave me DSL when no one else would/could. After 3 straight days of clouds and no connection because of it, I said to hell with this and jumped ship.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New FTA user!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)