Satellite Dealers & Installers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I rather new at this site. I left some questions in regards to Satellite Dishes in another thread. Maybe I will have better luck here. Years ago when I lived in Michigan I har a friend who installed satellite dishes. I was amazed as to how many channels one could watch. Time went by and I moved to Wyoming and had DirecTV, Nice but not the same as the programming that came with a big dish. Presently I live in North Central Florida and I want to get a 10' C-Band, Ku-Band Dish. Problrm being is all they sell here are DirecTV and Dish Network. I was told that there was a hyperlink on this site for satellite Dish Installers but can't find it. How do I get one, get it installed? Are they able to send HD programming for my new home theater. I want to get rid of the cable and choose my own programming.

Thanks I'll be back with the other questions later. :)

Tom

Info needed in getting a dish

Hello,

Back again with some of those questions that I had. I reworded them to make for one letter.

I remember how many stations you could receive from a big dish. Including seeing the local TV stations putting together their news segments that would appear later. Was interesting to see as I can remember. Now my questions.

How many TV's can operate from a single dish?

Will they be limited to just one channel for the whole house?

Also I remember that the dish would change directions to locate another Satellite in space. Is this still the same?

Can I view stations in other countries like Japan and England, ect.

In getting a 10' Dish, what is the difference and benefit between a solid dish and a wire mesh sectional dish?

How far can you put a satellite dish with tripod away from the home and still have a clear signal?

Thanks,
Thomas

You can try finding a dealer here:
OnSat.com :: View Forum - C-Band
Satellite 911 -- C-Band Helpdesk

If you are getting a new dish go with a solid, solid is better on ku-band and will hold it's shape well unlike a mesh dish would.

A fullview system today includes a 10'-12' dish, c/ku feed and quality lnb's (wideband feed for additional signals), 24"-36" actuator, 4dtv receiver, HDD decoder and a dvb receiver or pc with PCI card. With all this you will have lots of fun :)

You can see what's available for subscription on 4dtv here:
Satellite Receivers C band and 4DTV satellite programming
NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band

Help Please

You can try finding a dealer here:
OnSat.com :: View Forum - C-Band
Satellite 911 -- C-Band Helpdesk

If you are getting a new dish go with a solid, solid is better on ku-band and will hold it's shape well unlike a mesh dish would.

A fullview system today includes a 10'-12' dish, c/ku feed and quality lnb's (wideband feed for additional signals), 24"-36" actuator, 4dtv receiver, HDD decoder and a dvb receiver or pc with PCI card. With all this you will have lots of fun :)

You can see what's available for subscription on 4dtv here:
Satellite Receivers C band and 4DTV satellite programming
NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band
Hello tdti1,
Thanks for writting back.
To be honest with you I know nothing about C-Band, Ku-Band. The only thing I kn ow is that I remember my friend selling them years ago, and seeing all the stations I could get. That was before the smaller dish's came out like DirecTV and Dish Network.

I looked on the Internet and found this site and decided to try to get one. All of the local Satellite Dealers went out of business or started selling the small ones.

I still want one, but a bit confused at what I have heard. Was told by a Dish Network Dealer that the only stations I could get on a big dish were religious or stations who are only selling products. That I wouldn't be able to get National Programming like ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. No FOOTBALL. I was also told that the big dishs are prone to problems in the moving parts. He went on and on. Kinda like I'm doing now, sorry. Was he just giving me a lot of garbage and trying to sell a Dish Network? I live in Central Florida (Ocala, Crystal River area) and I'm trying to find a dealer and installer. Any help you can give to me would be greatly appriciated. Tom :)

thomasyoung8@hotmail.com

Well first off never listen to a small dish dealer, they lie like hell, I have had my dish for over 20 years, changed the servo once (mite have to again seems to be sticking sometimes) and changed 2 actuator and put up a 3rd this year but a refurb one, upgraded to c/ku over 10 years ago.

So I have not done much and as a new customer you will already be getting c/ku and I would recommend getting good quality lnb's and a actuator depending on your budget of course.

I gave you a link for what you can subscribe to on 4dtv, here you can see what is free on dvb North & South America - LyngSat

On 4dtv I sub to movie channels on dvb out of the 700 or so free channels and feeds I always have something to watch :)

Big dish is the way to go. If you learn how to do the work yourself you can set one up and save lots of $$$$. There is always something to watch even if you choose not to subscribe to the mainstream programming. I subscribe through NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band and you can also subscribe through Satellite Receivers C band and 4DTV satellite programming.

Most all mainstream cable channels are available in digital format on c-band. You need a DSR-922 motorola 4DTV receiver for those and an HDD-200 decoder if you have an HDTV in the house. The standard definition channels are still very crisp and clean.

Add a free to air dvb receiver and open yourself up to hundreds of channels and feeds.

The little dish people don't even know very much about C-band and they will lie to you to get you to subscribe to their service. Small dish is OK for some people but all of us here prefer the extras of c-band.

There are religious channels that are free but other channels too. I do actually enjoy some of the religious channels. The thing about C-band is this - With the little dish people, if you don't subscribe to one of their packages, your receiver is turned off and you get nothing.

With C-band if you choose not to subscribe you still have plenty to see. Plus with c-band you can subscribe to some channels al a carte. I sub to just movie channels from NPS.

You get more HBO's, cinemax, starz , etc feeds for less money.

You may be able to pick up a used dish just for removing it. a lot of people have stopped using the BUD's, so look for someone who has a small dish and a large dish.

4DTV is the only way to go.

As for installing it. Almost every one I know will install their own, but you may find an older TV shop that could help.

I have been using a BUD for 12 years and love it.

By the way, I have been using a big dish for 3 years and love it.
I remember when my ex-girlfriend had a big dish 12 foot solid fiberglass with a uniden analog receiver with videocipher. I thought that thing was the greatest. I had cable at the time with only 36 channels. That big dish had the cleansest picture. She had one of those older non-HD bigscreen rear projection tv's.

It was kind of funny that receiver had jacks on the back labeled "vcr" LOL.

Hello everyone,
Thank you everyone who have taken the time to answer my questions. I had that feeling that the small dish dealer was giving me a line of crap! Even told me that the Satellite Dish would only work on one TV and that all the other TV's would have to watch the same channel. I would imaging that all it would take is to have an extra receiver at each TV, Right?

Anyway last night I was on the site and found a thread called:
“Adventures in dish hunting and what we find”. I found that interesting. A friend of mine called me today and I had this feeling or memory that she and her husband had a Big Dish. Sure enough she did! She said I could have it if I took it out! I went over there and took some photo’s of it. It’s real clear that it says “Uniden UST-705” and on the arm I think it says “RADAR” which was very hard to read as it was so high. She didn’t have any of the control boxes that came with it. Will have to replace or fix the one section where the screen backing is coming out.

Then I found this Satellite Dealer that had closed up his shop. I asked him about the Satellite Dishes that he has at his building. I think there were four of them. He told me to give him a couple of days to think about it, if he was going to get rid of them.

Then on the way home I found two more dishes one I think by the appearance is a Janiel? It looks the same as one on the thread Called “Adventures in dish hunting and what we find”, on that page they called it a Janiel. The dish wasn’t round but had points around it and on the back it looked like the same type of heavy duty ribs holding it on. The other one was a 10’ and had a lot of pine needles in it.

After I find which one that I will be going after, I have to figure out where to put in my backyard and be in a good and clear place! :hungry: Hungry to get a C-Band!!

Thanks again,

Thomas:)

Attachments

• UNIDEN_0092.JPG
    UNIDEN_0092.JPG
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 277
  • UNIDEN_0093.JPG
    UNIDEN_0093.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 217
  • UNIDEN_0094.JPG
    UNIDEN_0094.JPG
    715.6 KB · Views: 297
  • UNIDEN_0095.JPG
    UNIDEN_0095.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
  • UNIDEN_0096.JPG
    UNIDEN_0096.JPG
    763.6 KB · Views: 227
  • UNIDEN_0097.JPG
    UNIDEN_0097.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 230
  • UNIDEN_0098.JPG
    UNIDEN_0098.JPG
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 225
  • UNIDEN_0099.JPG
    UNIDEN_0099.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 271
  • UNIDEN_0100.JPG
    UNIDEN_0100.JPG
    958.2 KB · Views: 265
  • janiel-front-view.jpg
    janiel-front-view.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 258
The arm on that dish looks rusted pretty bad. I'd be willing to bet $20 that it is rusted solid and won't move. If you take that dish, be prepared to get a new arm.

Well you are kind of limited to one satellite at a given time, so if you only have a 4dtv then everyone will watch the same channel but if you have a 4dtv and a dvb receiver and lets say you have a sub to the absolute digital package, then the wife or kids could be watching something on the 4dtv on G3 and you can watch the dvb feeds on G3 at the same time, as long as you are on the same polarity.

Rusted Arm & Mesh

The arm on that dish looks rusted pretty bad. I'd be willing to bet $20 that it is rusted solid and won't move. If you take that dish, be prepared to get a new arm.

When you speak of the arm, are you talking about the steel pipe that is cemented in the ground that the dish is connected to?

I took several photos of the dish. What would be my best way to take it off the pole? By loosening the bolts and then lowering the dish to the ground?

I’m think I should keep the dish in one piece and put it in a trailer till I get it home. I don’t want it to warp or bend on me.

As far as the other pieces, (the piece in front and back of dish) do I keep those? Replace? The wire mesh, should I replace that too or reattach?
Thanks,
Tom :)

Well you are kind of limited to one satellite at a given time, so if you only have a 4dtv then everyone will watch the same channel but if you have a 4dtv and a dvb receiver and lets say you have a sub to the absolute digital package, then the wife or kids could be watching something on the 4dtv on G3 and you can watch the dvb feeds on G3 at the same time, as long as you are on the same polarity.
It looks like after I get the dish back to my home I will have to go out and buy some replace parts to get it up and running again. All that she has is the dish. I will need the control box I think that makes the dish move from one satellite to another. I will have to get a 4dtv, a dvb receiver and a dvr and have those componements work with my HD TV. This is also a learning process for me too :eureka

Thanks,
Tom

It looks like after I get the dish back to my home I will have to go out and buy some replace parts to get it up and running again. All that she has is the dish. I will need the control box I think that makes the dish move from one satellite to another. I will have to get a 4dtv, a dvb receiver and a dvr and have those componements work with my HD TV. This is also a learning process for me too :eureka

Thanks,
Tom

If you get a DVB receiver too. Get a HD capable one. You won't be dissapointed. SD only ones leave alot to be desired IMO.
NeusatHD is the one I have. Great picture and cheap price.

Hi Tom,

By "arm" I was referring to the motor that moves the dish across the sky to the different satellites. I have re-built that exact style of actuator motor a few times in the past, and the times I've rebuilt them, they weren't as rough looking as the actuator motor on that dish. I would simply replace the "arm".

You'll have to forgive me if I use some strange terminology.. The first C-Band system I installed was 20 years ago. I have picked up some of the slang/lingo over the years and tend to use it assuming that people know what I'm talking about. If you hear somebody talking about different "birds", they're not referring to the mammals, they're referring to the satellites out in space :)

In regards to taking the dish down off of the pole - they can be pretty heavy. The last dish I took down, I removed the actuator "arm" so that the dish was pointing directly at the horizon instead of up in the sky. Then with some assistance I was able to lift the dish up and off of the pole. That dish looks to be pretty high up in the sky though, be sure to get lots of help to take it down. The mount is probably rusted to the pole too. It would probably be a good idea to give it a good blast of WD40 penetrating oil a day or two before taking it down to try free it up from the pole.

actuator motor arm

Hi Tom,

By "arm" I was referring to the motor that moves the dish across the sky to the different satellites. I have re-built that exact style of actuator motor a few times in the past, and the times I've rebuilt them, they weren't as rough looking as the actuator motor on that dish. I would simply replace the "arm".

You'll have to forgive me if I use some strange terminology.. The first C-Band system I installed was 20 years ago. I have picked up some of the slang/lingo over the years and tend to use it assuming that people know what I'm talking about. If you hear somebody talking about different "birds", they're not referring to the mammals, they're referring to the satellites out in space :)

In regards to taking the dish down off of the pole - they can be pretty heavy. The last dish I took down, I removed the actuator "arm" so that the dish was pointing directly at the horizon instead of up in the sky. Then with some assistance I was able to lift the dish up and off of the pole. That dish looks to be pretty high up in the sky though, be sure to get lots of help to take it down. The mount is probably rusted to the pole too. It would probably be a good idea to give it a good blast of WD40 penetrating oil a day or two before taking it down to try free it up from the pole.
Hello Davage,
I now think I understand as to what you were saying, Looking at it again it doe's look (photo's 5 & 6 from Left) pretty rusted. Yes at this time I may not know all the slang, however like I said before, it's a learning experience!

I do plan on going over there and giving it a good going over with WD-40. So I should also plan on taking off the actuator "arm". Which would be what is behind and it front of the dish.

You said that you then lifted yours up off the pole with help. While the one I'll be working on (photo 8 from Left) is real tall, so I was planning on loosening the bolts that hold it on the support pole. Then pointing the dish towards the horizon. It's a big pole and may take more then a few people to lift it up, and also I'm having the thought of somebody accidentally dropping it ruing the dish. After loosening the bolts that hold it on the support pole I was going to lower the dish to a comfortable height so everybody could get a good grip on it and place it in the trailer.
Does this sound like a good plan to you before I actually do it?

Going back to photo 8 where my friend is standing under the dish you can really see the size of the pole. Or as lease part of the pole! I was told by her that when the people who put the dish up cemented the steel pole in a 55 gallon drum and buried it including the drum into the Florida sand that we have here so it wouldn’t shift.

It looks like I will be doing a lot of this work myself except for the lifting of course! I know that I have to look in my backyard for a place that isn’t obstructed with tree’s.

What direction am’ I looking for in pointing the satellite dish?

How far is “TOO FAR” from the house and still maintain a Clear Signal?

I’m planning on doing this weekend, weather permitting. I was going to get the heavy support pole at a well & pump store here. Just got to figure where to put it in!

Thanks for all of your help, :hatsoff:
Tom

Getting there!

If you get a DVB receiver too. Get a HD capable one. You won't be dissapointed. SD only ones leave alot to be desired IMO.
NeusatHD is the one I have. Great picture and cheap price.
Hello kbghdg,
After I get the dish home and clean it up, Repaint it then replace what needs to be replaced like the arm that Davage spoke of. I will get a HD DVD receiver for each TV. There are 4 in the house but only 2 playing at the same time. If that is of any help?

Sinceit's a Uniden UST-705, should I pay special attention to certain makes and models? :)

Thanks,
Tom

Looking at the photos, it appears that the mesh on the Uniden is pretty large...
Guys, do you think that will be an issue?
Tom, how big are the openings in the mesh? If they are 1/4" or more, that dish may not work for you (or the mesh will have to be totally replaced).
In response to the multi-TV question...
One dish points at one satellite. You can have multiple receivers attached to the dish (and each receiver to a TV). Now, those receivers can be free-to-air DVBs, 4DTV, etc. But they will be limited to reception from one satellite at a time.
In my case I'm assembling two dishes with plans to have multiple receivers on both (so I'm not limited to just one satellite at any given time.)
As far as little dishes - I've had Dish network for years and only recently have I gotten so fed up with them that I'm switching back to the BUDs (I had a BUD way back in the day.)
My parents recently dropped Dish and went BACK to their trusty old BUD - adding a 4DTV receiver and new feedhorn & lnbs.
Another thing (and I'm not trying to scare you off - but feel you should know) up front costs on equipment and setup can get steep. Just take it a little at a time and I think you'll enjoy every minute of it.

Update

Hello everyone,
Remember when I first started in asking by questions and saying that a friend of mine is giving me their Uniden UST-705 with the name of “RADAR” on the arm. Then when I was on my way home and stopping by an out of business satellite dealer?
Then I found this Satellite Dealer that had closed up his shop. I asked him about the Satellite Dishes that he has at his building. I think there were four of them. He told me to give him a couple of days to think about it, if he was going to get rid of them.

Well he called last night, and right now I have it! It says on feedhorn (very faded too) Unidish and on the arm it says Von Weise Linear Actuators. I saw somewhere on this site where a person had two dishes so that if another person in another room could watch TV from a different satellite.
So now it looks like I will have two. There both wire mesh dishes and are not solid. I can't find any solids so far. I still have a few questions and if anybody has the answers to them I would really appreciate it.

Q. Can I still run or use KU-Band on them?

Q. Howfar is “TOO FAR” from the house and still maintain a Clear Signal?

Q. If I do plan to erect two dishes like the person I spoke of, do they need to be so many feet a part so it won’t cause interference?

Q. Speaking of the support bar that holds the dish. How big of a pole do I need to get in length?

Q. How far do I put it in the ground?

Q. What is the average amount of cement used to anchor it in sandy soil?

I know that’s a lot of questions to ask but I do want to get it right the first time around!

Thanks again,

Thomas

Well forget about the Uniden UST-705 Dish... Today I learned that my friend who was going to give it to me is giving it to her Father. 3 steps forward and 1 step back I guess. The other that happen to fall into my hands is mine now. At first I thought it was a Unidish because in the daylight and it being faded it was very hard to read. It wasn't till late afternoon that I did see the contrast in the feedhorn cover and it says Unimesh. I'm hoping that the Unimesh dish is a leading brand and a good one to have?? Anyway the dish looks good. Some surface rust but other then that all intact. The Von Weise Linear Actuator looks ok. It has some rust on it, may clean up. Well that’s my update on the dish. This coming Monday I'm going to the Well Drilling Company around here and picking up an iron pipe. I hope I can get some of my questions answered so everything can fall in place.

Q. Can I still run or use KU-Band on them?

Q. How far is “TOO FAR” from the house and still maintains a Clear Signal?
Q. If I do plan to erect two dishes like the person I spoke of, do they need to be so many feet a part so it won’t cause interference?Q. Speaking of the support bar that holds the dish. How big of a pole do I need to get in length?Q. How far do I put it in the ground?Q. What is the average amount of cement used to anchor it in sandy soil? Thanks,
Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts