Satellite Dish Crane in Action

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do a google search for jin pole if your looking for pictures of these (dish cranes) , we use them here to erect 150' towers (in sections) so a satellite dish shouldn't be to hard. Thats the real name if anyone is interested gin pole.

jin pole

Crude drawing but you should get the idea, also side support leg/braces can be added to stop pole from swaying add them towards sat pole and out on a angle.

Attachments

• jin pole.jpg
    jin pole.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 203
Tom's got some nice pictures back in post #30, of the one he built.
For hoisting a mount, H-H motor, or dish, it really doesn't need to lift much past the top end of your dish mounting pole.
That's why his is so short, . . . 'n obviously stiff.

Wish Harbor Freight carried one like Tom's.
If I needed it, it'd be just a 10 minute drive. ;)
Wonder if any of the tool-rental places have anything like 'em ???

The one we use has hooks on the bottom and a pulley on top with a aluminum pole and just hook in to the last section of tower and you raise the next section up works really good and is pretty easy to use but the pole has to be longer than the tower section. Going to the ground with pole length gives it more stability and sturdiness when lifting heavy stuff the one in post 30 is a nice job but not to safe if lifting a heavy dish fine if its only 100 pounds or less but safety is important and it's easy to get hurt using them if you don't know what your at, have stories.
Also if you make it longer/higher you'll have a much easier time positioning the dish when you get it up in the air try it you'll see been there done that (like work sometimes).

Last edited:
jin pole and Dish Crane

Crude drawing but you should get the idea, also side support leg/braces can be added to stop pole from swaying add them towards sat pole and out on a angle.
Hello Bevshadow,
Thanks for your input. I see from your drawing how a jin pole would work. Even though you called it a crude drawing it was a easy one to understand the workings of this tool. Nice image. From the drawing I take it that you would attach it on the mounting pole the same way that you would a Dish Crane. Where you would hook up the hook to a dish and then pull the chain up with the dish attached. What happens if you were to lose your grip on it would the whole thing come down or is there a locking mechanism in it?

On the Dish Crane there is a piece of angle iron attached to two side supports. This angle iron gets put on near the top of the mounting pole and then it secured to the pole so it won’t slip off. The winch is open so you can release the belt to the ground. The belt hooks onto a secured piece of the dish then it is brought up the mounting pole and then the dish can be placed onto the mounting pole. To take it down it is in reverse order. Having the belt tight one can remove what bolts for the removal of the dish. The dish is slowly lowed to the ground. Usually during this process one would be at the top lowering the belt with the winch while two others would grab each side and direct it into a safe resting place.
Since the two work in different way even though they get the same job done I’m going to continue to call it a Dish Crane. Still looking for an example of a Dish Davit.

Thanks for your input!
TOM

Attachments

• dishcranedrawing2.jpg
    dishcranedrawing2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 184
Tom's got some nice pictures back in post #30, of the one he built.
For hoisting a mount, H-H motor, or dish, it really doesn't need to lift much past the top end of your dish mounting pole.
That's why his is so short, . . . 'n obviously stiff.

Wish Harbor Freight carried one like Tom's.
If I needed it, it'd be just a 10 minute drive. ;)
Wonder if any of the tool-rental places have anything like 'em ???

Hey Anole, I can send to you the dimensions of it and yoiu can have one made up for you. I suggest that you use Air Craft Tested Aluminum instead of Iron to cut the weight down. Or I can send it to you if you want to use it for your recent Dish Find? Like I said it cheaper then a ticket to fly out there to help you. If I did live closer to you I'd be at your dor leanding a hand!

TOM
:D

Ok like to say to Thomas34461usa and Anole if i offended you in any way I'm SORRY (got the read me when i logged in) or anyone else in that matter, Like i said Thomas you have a nice design heavy duty arms, nice wench, for holding nice feature for extra safety, but the straps holding the pole, the little clamps so to speak being very weak (weakest link) but should be ok for a motor or dish. I seen guys get hurt and hospitalized, know of one getting killed from improper use of these devices. not lifting a little sat dish either, Anyways SORRY again to who ever i offended but if i saved someone from getting hurt then i got my point across.( i use this stuff often and know some of what can go wrong)
i did say a crude design so adding thomas34461usa wench would be an improvement plus side support braces,etc.
Later , and Sorry

I'm not offended at all.

Ok like to say to Thomas34461usa and Anole if i offended you in any way I'm SORRY (got the read me when i logged in) or anyone else in that matter, Like i said Thomas you have a nice design heavy duty arms, nice wench, for holding nice feature for extra safety, but the straps holding the pole, the little clamps so to speak being very weak (weakest link) but should be ok for a motor or dish. I seen guys get hurt and hospitalized, know of one getting killed from improper use of these devices. not lifting a little sat dish either, Anyways SORRY again to who ever i offended but if i saved someone from getting hurt then i got my point across.( i use this stuff often and know some of what can go wrong)
i did say a crude design so adding thomas34461usa wench would be an improvement plus side support braces,etc.
Later , and Sorry
Hello Bevshadow,
Whoa... Hold on I'm not offended at all. What I was saying is that I really appreciated your input and the designing you gave. I really do. That’s part of the reason I started this thread is to compare with other peoples designs in making an installation easier and yes safer. I was taking note that yours and mine worked on two different ways of lifting up a dish. I was concerned if it was a chain and you let go of that would it stop or even tear skin? Not offended at all, OK. As far as the Straps that the best way I could think of as to hold them onto the mounting pole. If a better design comes here you bet your bottom dollar there will be a change in my design! ;)
But it takes people like you to submit a different design and learn from each other. I thought your design was great and not crude at all.
Thanks,
TOM

I got the "read me message" when I logged on. I'm Offended if Scott thinks I come here to "READ". I'm a Couch Potato, I come here to "WATCH"..... He should have had a "watch me message"....

I got the "read me message" when I logged on. I'm Offended if Scott thinks I come here to "READ". I'm a Couch Potato, I come here to "WATCH"..... He should have had a "watch me message"....
Yea, I've got to side with Voom on this one!
"What the $%&^ did I do now?"

BevShadow -
I appreciate all input. Your info was the traditional jin pole used for raising towers.
I did some googling with the correct name (thanks), and found technical sites, discussing the strength, angles, and other critical parameters concerning 'em.
So, it was a trip well spent.

Not needing a tall pole to raise the things, I would make one shorter, such as Tom did.
And, I liked his wench, and maybe his lifting straps (subject to stress testing).
As for clamping to the pole, that appears to be a critical point . . . and I'd have to think about it more.
Maybe add something like a vertical U bracket, to grab the pole...
Your point about safety is highly appreciated. - :up

Well, I have not secured a BUD yet, so I have breathing time to worry about a jin pole, wench, flying crane, or other solutions. - :rolleyes:
And I certainly don't want to get sidetracked designing one, only to find a BUD at ground level. - :D

Tom -
Thanks again for your offer. I'm still shopping . . . and procrastinating. - :up

Thomas34461 when we use a chain it's hooked to a kubota or a backhoe and alot of weight we've used them to stick 2-4 thousand pound telephone poles also in tight places (its all about not getting hurt) not putting your job down at all but say you had something up 4 to 5 feet and your bottom strap broke for some weird reason ie: dry rot, or faulty clamp, and you were winding the device standing behind it (ouch) seen it happen (purple/blue/yellow/stars), and the one i posted if anything went wrong you would be in the clear (long as your not standing under it) object falls on ground no biggie (its only about safety), and your length/height is fine for light stuff like dish/motor but when you get into thousands of pounds you'll appreciate the extra length let me tell ya.

Point well taken on safety

Thomas34461 when we use a chain it's hooked to a kubota or a backhoe and alot of weight we've used them to stick 2-4 thousand pound telephone poles also in tight places (its all about not getting hurt) not putting your job down at all but say you had something up 4 to 5 feet and your bottom strap broke for some weird reason ie: dry rot, or faulty clamp, and you were winding the device standing behind it (ouch) seen it happen (purple/blue/yellow/stars), and the one i posted if anything went wrong you would be in the clear (long as your not standing under it) object falls on ground no biggie (its only about safety), and your length/height is fine for light stuff like dish/motor but when you get into thousands of pounds you'll appreciate the extra length let me tell ya.

Hello Bevshadow,
Point well taken on safety. The strap braces I used is what I had at the time to do a job. In my mind I was thinking that there has to be another way. I keep having thoughts of like motorcycle chain with a ratchet. I think I have seen this done before as you run the chain around the pole you bring it tight with the ratchet. I also have been thinking of using two vertical U brackets that bolt on a flat bar behind the mounting pole to grab the pole. I’m open for any ideas here that would be better. Like I said I used the straps because that’s the best I had at the time. Noting Safety here the heaviest of the weight was only the dish and mount. Which was way under 400 pounds. It wasn't designed to pick up real heavy weights.

Now if I was going to pick up a telephone pole or anything else that weigh 2-4 thousand pounds. I think I would go with what you have for sure. In fact, thank you again because in the near future I was planning on putting up a tower for a TV antenna.
Thanks,
TOM

Tower

Here's a crude design we use on the towers the 2 bottom hooks are hooked into the last section of tower on the ladders say. This design we erect 150' plus towers with no problem at all. Just make sure total length of pole is long enough (new section of tower plus length of hook section) 1 inch will be enough to get it lined up with ease. so if you were installing 10 foot sections i would make my pole about 13 feet long. ie: 10 foot section plus 2 feet for hooks (or whatever distance between your ladders on the tower section), so i have 1 foot extra for easy line up of tower section. Also ours is made from aluminum like the one you made up and the hooks are welded on with single pulley on top. Might help you out with your tower install.
later

Attachments

• tower .jpg
    tower .jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 166
Another idea i seen the cb crowd around here doing Thomas33461usa, is if your tower only has a couple sections, pour a concrete pad with two steel flat plates about 1 foot apart and weld big hinges to the plates and bottom section of tower, this lets you work easily on top of the tower all you have to do is lower it to the ground on the hinges and work on it on the ground (good to have a buddy help you at this). Might help. alot easier than climbing pole and working on it.
later

Another idea i seen the cb crowd around here doing Thomas33461usa, is if your tower only has a couple sections, pour a concrete pad with two steel flat plates about 1 foot apart and weld big hinges to the plates and bottom section of tower, this lets you work easily on top of the tower all you have to do is lower it to the ground on the hinges and work on it on the ground (good to have a buddy help you at this). Might help. alot easier than climbing pole and working on it.
later

Hi Bevshadow,
Thank you for your input. I did some Internet searches when I Googled the name of jin pole. I found a site showed ways to use a n pole. I really appreciate your input. If I was going to put up and raise a tower that needed to be real tall and weigh the amount that you talked about, I would use a jin pole. The Satellite dishes that are out there for our hobby use do not weigh 2-4 thousand pounds, nor are they the length that are used for commercial uses. My poles will be taller then most use on this site because I have to get a good line of site over tall pine trees in my area. Others here have them near the ground, and some higher. Mine will not be over 11 feet high. Now don’t think that what you have put in here to share has been worthless they do help out with people wanting to put up towers like what you talk about to get local TV stations and the poles are usually next to the house.

Thanks again,
TOM

originally this tool was made for lifting a 370 Andrew to a 18 meter high "pedestal"

here are some pics of installing a 180 cm alu- dish

on the Roof I have a real motorized Crane,
if you are interested, I can post photos too

:) . :)

Attachments

• Lifting_1.jpg
    Lifting_1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 194
  • Lifting_2.JPG
    Lifting_2.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 185
  • Lifting_3.jpg
    Lifting_3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Skystar 134 .jpg
    Skystar 134 .jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Lifting_9.jpg
    Lifting_9.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Lifting_8.JPG
    Lifting_8.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Lifting_7.jpg
    Lifting_7.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Lifting_6.jpg
    Lifting_6.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Lifting_5.jpg
    Lifting_5.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Lifting_4.jpg
    Lifting_4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 203
originally this tool was made for lifting a 370 Andrew to a 18 meter high "pedestal"

here are some pics of installing a 180 cm alu- dish

on the Roof I have a real motorized Crane,
if you are interested, I can post photos too

:) . :)

Hello Skystar,
First let me say I see this is your first post so welcome to the SatelliteGuys Website!!

:welcome

Also Thank you very much for the great images of your jin pole and showing how you were able to lift up a 370 Andrew to a 18 meter high "pedestal". What great shots they all were that you shared with us today, Thank you. I do have some questions for you if you don’t mind. The first and second photo shows that you are pulling on a rope while lifting the pedestal. I know that the jin pole can lift up some serious weight! How heavy is the pedestal? What happens if you lose your grip on the rope? Is there some kind of catch? When you have it at roof level is there a way for you to keep the rope stable so you can get on the roof and hook up what you have lifted up?
The third photo from the right shows you and the jin pole. I’ve been working on my idea in making a dish crane portable, easy to use and above all safe to use. I see that you have on your jin pole long bolts to secure the jin pole to the mounting pole. I have been wondering about that aspect of securing it to the mounting pole. I seem to remember that the one use by a person who had a dish crane for himself used a chain ratchet to secure it. My design was taken from the memory I had when I saw his. Didn’t have a camera at the time and couldn’t take measurements! In looking at the photo is your jin pole encased in cement? I’m wondering how heavy that would make your jin pole and how did you get it on your roof and secure it there?

I would like to see more images of everything you have including the real motorized Crane. Some close ups of the bracket you made where it hooks up between the jin pole and the mounting pole.:eureka

And oh yes I know we all would love to see some images of your dishes there and any info you have about them. :hungry:

Thanks again for sharing!:)

TOM

Here are a few pics of my Dish Crane in action. The first 4 are setting a 3.4m Prodelin this spring. The next ones are removing a HNS 1.8m last week.

Attachments

• ARCADIA LDS 006.jpg
    ARCADIA LDS 006.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 178
  • ARCADIA LDS 004.jpg
    ARCADIA LDS 004.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 209
  • ARCADIA LDS 003.jpg
    ARCADIA LDS 003.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 200
  • ARCADIA LDS 002.jpg
    ARCADIA LDS 002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 228
  • BBQ 053.jpg
    BBQ 053.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 186
  • BBQ 054.jpg
    BBQ 054.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 189
  • BBQ 060.jpg
    BBQ 060.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 190
Nice pictures SCOOTER..!
Thanks for posting them. The more I see pictures of these Cranes, the more I want one. The people who find free dishes on these tall poles, up above the roof tops, could use one as well?
Thanks SCOOTER..!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts