Satellite identifier question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sea-r-cy

Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Sunny Florida
I've got a signal meter and a Birdog. They work ok, but sometimes it's hard for me to tune in on a particular satellite. The Birdog doesn't always identify a satellite, even when I'm on it. It may lock on vertical, but not horizontal. Not very user friendly.
Is there a simple finder that will tell you which satellite you've tuned in without manually trying out each satellite setting? I'd like to have one that automatically searches for and identifies an unknown satellite.
As you might guess, I'm computer/technology challenged.
Thanks, Sea-r-cy

:welcome2 Sea-r-cy! I know what you mean. I have a Birdog myself and have experienced the same thing on some sats. The Super Buddy meters have a positive ID feature which checks multiple transponders on an unknown sat to identify it. Don't know how much you are willing to spend as these run around $600-700. I haven't had the opportunity to use one but have heard they are very good meters. Check them out here: http://www.appliedin.com/www/products/satellite_meters/meters.html

Welcome to the site Sea-r-cy!!

:welcome2to SatelliteGuys!

Having owned a Birdog, I relate and feel your pain. :D

I have owned a Super Buddy for several years and have been able to test along side several other brands and models. Hands-down the best and most accurate satellite meter out there in the price range.

But if you are considering an investment in quality satellite tools, there is a meter one level above the Super Buddy that also does DVBS2. My favorite meter the AI Turbo S2, which is also made by Applied Instruments. Just a little more than the SuperBuddy29 meter :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
What I've found is it's pretty easy to find satellites once you find ONE! And each one after that is easier still cuz you can do the math on counts between them.

I guess if you're in the business and time is money then you can justify spending that much money for a meter but since I'm just a hobby guy and not wealthy I really can't see it.

If you're moving a fixed dish, mark the pole/mount when on a known satellite, use as a reference to find others(or start over) and mark pole for every other satellite across the arc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts