Satellite Viewers Act fails

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Dish side is talking about Distant Network Service. So, this might mean that either DNS for DirecTV subs will be eliminated or possibly be more tightly controlled.

I'd hate to see DNS go, but I can live with my OTA. And if the OTA is stable, I may even remove DNS from my account.

what about SV channels or in markets where D* can import them from the neighboring DMA because the DMA only has 1 or 2 channels?

I'd expect those to go away. From what I understand it allows the importing of channels from outside your market... this would be DNS and SV, no?

If a bill or extension does not pass by Feb. 28, the license expires and satellite operators will not be allowed to import distant affiliate TV station signals to viewers who cannot receive a viewable version of their local affiliate.

Senate Fails To Pass Satellite License Bill Extension - 2010-02-26 14:59:08 | Broadcasting & Cable

I think there is a difference

Distant to me means NY, LA, Chicago etc

But in some markets there is NO local affiliate of a network. Case in point. Mankato, MN (or St Joe, MO or Glendive, MT, or Zanesville, OH etc). These markets only have one network. In the case of Mankato, its CBS. D* can legally import Minneapolis NBC, ABS & FOX to Mankato. When you run an address for Mankato it shows
CBS Mankato
NBC, ABC, Fox Minneapolis
national PBS

In these cases, those 3 networks from Mpls do carry stories from Mankato and neighboring areas.

Remember how Dish Network was prohibited by the courts from using a specific license, which ended the ability of Dish Network to give customers a distant channel package, out-of-market affiliates to places that did not have a network affiliate, a few stations (such as WMUR in New Hampshire) a state-wide exemption and CBS in HD?

It is that license which is set to expire on 28 February. Which means if one is a customer of DirecTV the same stations that Dish Network lost will also be lost. If one is a C-Band customer, distants are gone. If one is a subscriber to All-America Direct, the distant network provider on the Echostar system, those will be lost.

Channel 394 now says: "Distant Network Signal Update".

Info says: "Important call to action for Kentucky distant signal subscribers."

Which means if one is a customer of DirecTV the same stations that Dish Network lost will also be lost
I dont think Dish ever did it the same way as D* does

Dish only worked with SV where they imported some neighboring DMA"s to a market that already had locals (and all of them). They never "filled" in markets to make them full.

edit: I think 1 or 2 markets they did this where one network was the default for 2 DMA's...Dothan AL rings a bell :)

Directv has been importing locals from neighboring markets to fill in those 1 & 2 DMA markets

Is Directv losing Distant Networks too?

I live in the Marietta OH/Parkersburg WV market, one of the smallest. I struggle just to get NBC off of antenna and this market is served only by WTAP with NBC/FOX/MY. I would be completely without CBS and ABC! If I don't get WABC and WCBS I'm screwed.

Channel 394 now says: "Distant Network Signal Update".

Info says: "Important call to action for Kentucky distant signal subscribers."

I get "not subscribed" to it and doesnt have any info on about it
I'm in MN if that matters...might be just Kentucky folks

I've tooked action and wrote to my Senators. I told them I felt sorry for those who can't get locals over-the-air or by satellite and losing the DNS feeds. I told them I don't want to let it happen to our country.

I have a brother that works for Direct tv and he said they are telling the csr's that DNS will not be shut down on monday.

we know how well we can trust CSR's words ;)
I guess we'll see on Monday if folks who have distants or imported signals (from a neighboring DMA) have their channels or not

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)