SatelliteGuys First Look - Dish 1000 Satellite Dish

from what i have heard 119 is just as good... 110 is a bit lower.... correct me scott if im wrong.. yea i too want to know at what kind of $$ were looking at.. cauz i too am waiting to order one.

both 119 and 110 will register a bit lower than the 500 but better than the Super Dish readings, very easy to put together, very easy to align, and it isn't a sail on the santa maria

BobaBird said:
You're welcome. But that's not really surprising when you consider the dish was sent to the operator of a popular web forum who is also a computer guru, perennial early adopter, and gadgeteer - not that there's anything wrong with that. Someone else may have had just a cell phone camera at his disposal. If it had been sent to me we'd be waiting a couple more days for me to go to the store to pick up the PhotoCD I would have ordered when I dropped of a roll of film to be developed. Good thing I have no connections! Now we're just waiting for Scott to buy a laser measure so we can find out how big it really is. Anyway, the EKB is hosted by the other site but the content is independent. When the two boards seem to have equal information (copy & paste postings for instance), I use that hosting as the tie-breaker for crediting the source. Otherwise the information is where it is.

It's cool. I was surprised you updated your page so fast. The mark of a great webmaster shines through with accuracy and updated content.

Stargazer said:
Maybe it was not FSS, I am not sure, I just assumed that it was but I didn't think it was DBS.

The 129W slot used by starband is the Intelisat Americas 7 which is a C/Ku band sat. StarBand uses Ts 4/9/20. Since it is a Vertical and Horizontal Polarity bird, it is a Ku-FSS signal.

The measurements should be the same as the DTV triple dish except for the plastic LNBF mount on the front to hold the 2 LNBF's. Its look like the one at Team Summit which was a DTV dish.

rtt2 said:
They printed the old dish logo on the dish. I wonder when they will change it? Or how many of these dishes are sitting in a warehouse waiting to be used up before they change the Logo

Whats the difference in the old dish logo and the new dish logo? It looks like the one on the Dish 1000 is the same as their website and their PPV channels.

larrystotler said:
The 129W slot used by starband is the Intelisat Americas 7 which is a C/Ku band sat. StarBand uses Ts 4/9/20. Since it is a Vertical and Horizontal Polarity bird, it is a Ku-FSS signal.[/QUOTE

Can anyone who had one of those dishes from Philadelphia give us the answer?

I really thought that t17, on whichever sat was in the 129 slot at the time, was DBS. If not, those people in PA were getting incredible signals for FSS. I remember only one T would give any signal reading on the receiver; I really think it was T17.

That was also before the Superdish. When the SD came out, I remember Charlie saying that "with the new software" the receivers could now read the FSS signal. But, EV was once FSS, until N1, and Vía, a Spanish company which used E*'s receivers, was FSS

I never heard anyone complain about the dish size. I do remember one person telling me that it was a little bigger than the DTV dish, but that was just a random person.

If the Philadelphia minor locals were FSS, then Charlie was just making a big deal out of nothing.

Those dishes were nightmares. All legacy, so we had outdoor SW64's all over the place by crappy installers (hired because of the spike) using hex connectors. those switches burned out many many times.

Many of the superdish lessons were learned with those dishes.. mainly the "roof is last resort" rule.

bcshields said:
I say the first receivers to get 129 updates will tell us what 129 will be used for primarily.

If the 811/921/942 get updates only, expect MPEG4 HD channels to go there.
If all the standard rcvrs get updates, expect locals to be moved.
Since there are NO MPEG4 receivers in the wild the most telling sign that 129 will be for MPEG4 HD is not having 129 appear on any existing receiver.

If they re-add 129 to older receivers (even the HD ones) it is more of a tell that 129 will be used for something less spectacular ... such as locals.

JL

bcshields said:
Those dishes were nightmares. All legacy, so we had outdoor SW64's all over the place by crappy installers (hired because of the spike) using hex connectors. those switches burned out many many times.

Many of the superdish lessons were learned with those dishes.. mainly the "roof is last resort" rule.
OK Do I remember right? Was T17 the one used? Was it FSS or not?

justalurker said:
Since there are NO MPEG4 receivers in the wild the most telling sign that 129 will be for MPEG4 HD is not having 129 appear on any existing receiver.

If they re-add 129 to older receivers (even the HD ones) it is more of a tell that 129 will be used for something less spectacular ... such as locals.

JL

129 + 119K recently appeared on my 4900 (an old legacy SD only receiver) so my best guess is "locals" and HD locals.

mattb said:
129 + 119K recently appeared on my 4900 (an old legacy SD only receiver) so my best guess is "locals" and HD locals.

For clarification, the 119K is for the 118.7 W Ku/FSS slot that Dish will be leasing from TeleSat. Dish, TeleSat and SES Americom, the owner of the AMC-16 satellite have applied to the FCC to temporarily move AMC-16 to 118.7 W from 85 W. TeleSat was to launch the Anik F3 satellite to 118.7 W early in 2006 but that has been delayed until at least the 3rd quarter of 2006. I would have to believe that Dish will come out with a Superdish sized dish that will get 110, 118.7 and/or 121, 119 and 129.

One option that Dish might consider for SD locals is to move the non-distant network locals that are CONUS beams at 110 to 129 W. This would free up as many as 3 CONUS TPs at 110 for national programming such as HD. Dish could provide 18 HD channels using MPEG-4 with these 3 TPs. The locals I am referring to are in the following cities:

Little Rock, AR
Knoxville, TN
Roanoke, VA
Jackson, MS
Lexington, KY
Springfield, MO

I have to believe something will be announced on the August 8th Tech Chat or the September Charlie Chat.

Um, nobody else thinks that this can be the broadband planned at the Team Summit? 129 is used by Starband and who knows if it's not for TV use? A very wild guess I know but the similarities do exist.

[EDIT]: Never mind. I didn't register that this 129 is a DBS bird.

bcshields said:
It's cool.
I just didn't want to become a part of the dispute between the boards as both have earned my allegiance. This board's strength is still breaking the story as seen in this thread.
I was surprised you updated your page so fast.
Me too. :D And for those many times I don't I am receptive to prodding via e-mail or PM.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Today we were surprised by the arrival of a Dish 1000 Satellite Dish! We quickly grabbed our camera (aka Cell Phone with a camera) and took some photos of the Dish 1000 as we unpacked the box.

The Dish 1000 is slightly larger then a Dish 500 and comes with a dish pro plus twin LNB and a Dish Pro LNB, it does not come with any kind of switch, you are to plug the 129 LNB into the DishPro Plus LNB if you only want to look at those 3 satellites, if you want to view four satellites you need a DishPro Plus 44 switch.

In going through everything we thought of a few cases where someone would need a DishPro Plus 55 or even a 66 switch to view all the programming that Dish Network offers.

Setup was actually straight forward and it went together quickly.

We were never actually able to aim the dish as the Dish was HITTING THE FENCE because of the skew and elevation needed from our location. When we get a chance we will try doing some modifications to eliminate this problem.

As this writing we were unable to test the unit out, but trust me we will get it working. :)

Anyways here is your SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK at the Dish 1000! This is a real honest to goodness retail boxed Dish 1000 satellite antenna.

I apologize for the quality of the phones the camera on the cell phone was the only thing we had access to. :)

Enjoy!

Will the New Dish replace the one they just installed (superdish) I just got 3 months ago?
:confused:

What does this all mean?

So what does this mean to me? What will I be able to get with a Dish 1000 that I don't already get with Dish 500?

mlinuxg said:
So what does this mean to me? What will I be able to get with a Dish 1000 that I don't already get with Dish 500?

That's the $64,000 question. Right now it's wait and see. Unusual for Dish to release a new produst that has nothing working on it. (usually it's at least 50% functional)

Maybe they will move all the 36 markets that have split locals on two sat dishes, to the 129 sat and satisfy the fcc law? Then they would free up a lot of space on 119/110 sats that have these dma's primary networks making more room for hd . Granted that would mean a lot of new dish installs or converisons to the dish 1000 , but I am sure they will do it with another years commitment to the top 60 at least.

They would most likely want the hd to be on the primary sats like 119 and 110 sats instead of the side sats ; 61.5/148. Which brings me back to the question what are they going to do with Rainbow 1 satellite when and if they move the Voom channels to another satellite like the 110/119 slots? I would think that they would want to move Rainbow 1 to the main slots like 119 or 110 and use it for more locals or hd locals. OF course if they move the Rainbow 1 st to 110 or 119 slot, they won't have to move the Voom channels but what about the spotbeams on the Rainbow 1 satellite? Will they still work if they move it out of it's present slot?

I really hope that the tech chat is full of information and we can really get some answers.

bcshields said:
That's the $64,000 question. Right now it's wait and see. Unusual for Dish to release a new produst that has nothing working on it. (usually it's at least 50% functional)
Its 67% functional...110 and 119 work just fine! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts