SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK - DISH's Hopper and Joey

Well it's official. The Hopper has a clearer picture than the 722k. My wife, who tells me she doesn't see the big difference in SD vs HD, stated over the weekend that ever since I got the Hopper, the picture looks clearer and sharper! So there you go! If my wife noticed it then it has to be clearer. That's just a fact.:)

Ghpr13:)

It may be my mind playing tricks on me, but I feel like its a better picture as well.

I do think the picture from the Hopper is clearer and sharper than the picture from the 722k. (Maybe Dish upped the signal strength to every subscriber who order the Hopper to get us to like it, then, later, they will lower the signal back down, hoping we won't really notice!):D

Ghpr13:)

If currently I have a 722 and 2 222 receivers, do I save anything by getting a hopper and 2 joeys?

Also, I see a lot of posts now talking about 2 hoppers, but in the initial review it said that wasn't possible. I assume this was now fixed?

Also, does the sling adapter still work with the hopper?

lastly, in the initial review it states that there are essentially 3 tuners to be shared, which is fine in most cases for me, but once I have a recording kick in this might be bad...

on the Dish site they say "Record up to six live HD channels at once during primetime*, including your 4 local HD networks and 2 channels of your choosing, and stream four HD programs to different TVs simultaneously. That means you can watch more and miss less of your favorite programs."

Maybe I am reading this wrong but this tells me that I can watch 4 different shows technically on my various TVs while still recording something else...or recoding 2 different things?

If I'm doing the calculation right, I see:

722 = $6/mo DVR fee
(2) 222 = $28/mo
total = $34/mo plus programming

Hopper = $10 DVR + Whole Home fee
(2) Joeys = $14/mo
total = $24/mo plus programming

Looks like a winner to me!

smakovits said:
If currently I have a 722 and 2 222 receivers, do I save anything by getting a hopper and 2 joeys?

Also, I see a lot of posts now talking about 2 hoppers, but in the initial review it said that wasn't possible. I assume this was now fixed?

Also, does the sling adapter still work with the hopper?

lastly, in the initial review it states that there are essentially 3 tuners to be shared, which is fine in most cases for me, but once I have a recording kick in this might be bad...

on the Dish site they say "Record up to six live HD channels at once during primetime*, including your 4 local HD networks and 2 channels of your choosing, and stream four HD programs to different TVs simultaneously. That means you can watch more and miss less of your favorite programs."

Maybe I am reading this wrong but this tells me that I can watch 4 different shows technically on my various TVs while still recording something else...or recoding 2 different things?

Yes it is now fixed. The Sling Adapter does work with the Hopper. If you don't get a 2nd Hopper you would lose 3 tuners from your current setup. During PrimeTime if you enable PrimeTime Anytime the Hopper will record all of the PrimeTime shows on the big 4 network, leaving the other two tuners to watch or record other things.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

If I'm doing the calculation right, I see:

722 = $6/mo DVR fee
(2) 222 = $28/mo
total = $34/mo plus programming

Hopper = $10 DVR + Whole Home fee
(2) Joeys = $14/mo
total = $24/mo plus programming

Looks like a winner to me!

the hopper fee is 10$ and whole home fee is what, $4, so that would get me to $28 right?

hmmm, still tempting. $72 saving in first year pays $99 up front fee to a point

If you get a 2H/1J configuration (non-standard) the monthly fees will be the same as a 1H/2J config.

But would this then also add a nother DVR fee and whole house DVR fee?

When they do add the OTA if it is a USB dongle, will it be free or will they charge us for it?

smakovits said:
the hopper fee is 10$ and whole home fee is what, $4, so that would get me to $28 right?

hmmm, still tempting. $72 saving in first year pays $99 up front fee to a point

But would this then also add a nother DVR fee and whole house DVR fee?

When they do add the OTA if it is a USB dongle, will it be free or will they charge us for it?

No. The $10 is the $6 DVR fee and $4 Whole-Home Fee combined. No, the DVR and Whole-Home fee is per account, not per reciever. I am pretty darn sure they will charge for the OTA dongle.

Yes it is now fixed.

Isaac, can you clarify what you just said? The question was "Also, I see a lot of posts now talking about 2 hoppers, but in the initial review it said that wasn't possible. I assume this was now fixed?"

Was your reply in relation to the 2 Hopper config or the next question about the Sling adapter? I ask only because I haven't been online much this week and was wondering if Dish finally put down the wacky weed long enough to realize they need to allow 2H/1J, or if your reply meant something totally different. Thanks in advance!

Isaac, can you clarify what you just said? The question was "Also, I see a lot of posts now talking about 2 hoppers, but in the initial review it said that wasn't possible. I assume this was now fixed?"

Was your reply in relation to the 2 Hopper config or the next question about the Sling adapter? I ask only because I haven't been online much this week and was wondering if Dish finally put down the wacky weed long enough to realize they need to allow 2H/1J, or if your reply meant something totally different. Thanks in advance!

The 2 Hopper config. As Duo Nodes were rumored to not be available at launch but Dish was able to get them out in time for 3/15. I would PM Zach as he is the only DIRT member that knows how to set up a 2H/1J config.

This is perfect then. I save 120 and spend 99 to get a 1H/2J system...If I do go 2H/1J, do the 2H share recorded content between themselves, just like a joey plays from the hopper? I assume they would record to themselves still right?

I think beyond that, the only thing I wonder is if the hoppers and joeys can still use and IR remote. I know they once spoke of RF remote for the 922, but I need to have IR for my RF universal remote control IR repeaters...

Lastly, does this require a Dish technician to do the install or is it DIY? I pay the monthly support, so I think that waives the service fee right?

Yes, it should cost you $99 + $15 for a technician. No DIY installs, unless you buy one outright. Two Hoppers are not yet integrated. Yes, they can listen to IR remotes.

I guess there is nothing to really think about then. I guess I should get in touch with DISH and start saving.

One last thing. Are the joeys capable of PIP? Would be one sweet feature currently missing from my 222's

smakovits said:
I guess there is nothing to really think about then. I guess I should get in touch with DISH and start saving.

One last thing. Are the joeys capable of PIP? Would be one sweet feature currently missing from my 222's

No they are not. Only the Hopper is.

Question - if I switch to this from my 6 Series dvrs, can I backup the shows I haven't watched to an external hard drive and then plug that into the Joey and still be able to watch them or will it be incompatible with my current receivers recordings?

One more question - does the Joey have component outs? My main TV is pre-HDMI.