SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

Well, I'll try not to say anything. :) But, I'm real disappointed in the 922. I paid $200 plus $4 extra a month. Seems all the other receivers are getting the same capabilities with these add-ons, but are more stable. Maybe I'll upgrade from a 922 to a 722k.

I feel the same way as you and I'm doing a down grade to a 722k through the online retailer I bought it from last May. An even swap for a new 722k. It is supposed to be here next Monday or Tuesday. The last straw was my sling function on my 922 stopped working entirely last night. I called tech department and they are sending me replacement 922 around the same time. So the replacement 922 will go back to my retailer and I will finally get a stable dvr that will work with the google box I bought and will reliably record 4 shows at one time without the tv 2 deleted/stopped bug that the 922 still has. In the future I will never buy or upgrade to another DISH receiver that starts with a 9 or 92_. Should of learned from the $1000.00 921 brick pvr that I bought years ago.:(

I agree with the 922 we pay a penalty. the DVR fee is $10.00 while for the 772K the DVR fee is only $6.00. the 722k is more stable and has better support.

Funny thing, is if you still want sling features on the 722k you can add the sling adapter and pay no extra monthly $4.00 sling fee .

The 722 beat the 922 again. It got sling before the 922 got TV 2 working. The 922 failure as the flagship is now complete. The 722 also has working google TV, perhaps the 922 will pick up that feature one day too....

Thanks Scott for the great review. I just ordered myself an early Christmas present :up
Hopefully my Verizon um175 usb air card service will be able to stream the video without any issues. Looking forward to playing with the new toy!!

I wish UPS delivered om Saturday, its just sitting there.
I am going to try the in-home HD streaming on a some laptops and PCs I have to see if buying a nettop with a dual core 1.66 atom will stream HD.

The 722 beat the 922 again. It got sling before the 922 got TV 2 working. The 922 failure as the flagship is now complete. The 722 also has working google TV, perhaps the 922 will pick up that feature one day too....

Is dish reading this? Why during the two year beta dish did not fix the hardware?

So this will eliminate the need for the TV2 SD and you should be able to send HD to that particular TV? I have a small unit in the kitchen that is HD but I send the picture in SD to it from my 622. I do have a 722 in the bedroom that I could use if this is the point. Then I could get HD to the kitchen unit w/o the need to buy another unit. Nice!

Yeah technically this device allows you to Sling to a mobile device (iphone, blackberry, android) or to a PC. Since most (all?) HDTVs have HDMI or DVI or even VGA, they can act as a monitor for a PC. So in effect, you can sling to a TV. But you need a device that can access the DishOnline website to connect to Sling. If they ever release their sling catcher type device, then that would act in place of the PC.

The funny thing is that the google box could work with a tv if they enabled it to work with fire fox or if they enabled your sling software to work with chrome browser. I tried to sling to my google box and it won't work with the chrome browser. So theoritically you should be able to sling to your google box if they enabled it via sofware. This would eliminate the need for a sling catcher . But you can't even use the dishonline.com through the google box due to the Hula ban.

as a follow up to the andriod app test, has anyone tested the blackberry app to see if the Sling adapter will work with it?

A little over a month ago, I wanted a Slingbox. I called Dish and asked when to expect the Sling adapter. I have a 722K, so two rooms, and two OTA inputs. They refused to give me any news about the adapter. I told them if they didn't do that, they were losing a sale. They kept pushing the 922 and I kept pushing back. I said most people who ask these questions do their research and they should take the entire recorded discussion to management.

The next day I ordered an HD slingbox. One of the best purchases I have ever made. Nope - it isn't slim, but it works like a charm. I bought the $29.99 sling software for Android and it was worth every penny. I use the desktop PC software on my computer to program it, and use the online interface at work when I'm working late and want to watch TV as well. It even shows the exact remote you get with your device. I only have two devices hooked up, although I can have four. I have a friend in Germany and we watch TV and movies together.

In bed, at night, I'd rather use my Droid and watch my sling than turn on my large TV and all the fixins. I can't recommend a Sling enough...so I really hope the Sling adapter lives up to it's big brother. $99 is a great price, and totally worth it.

I only have two devices hooked up,

And right there you've already allowed yourself to take advantage of the extra capability of the HD slingbox vs. the sling adapter. I have the original slingbox and look forward to having a real ipad app. For that I needed to upgrade to something like your HD slingbox but the adapter will do it for less money and simpler. Consequently, decided to wait while I continue to use the traditional box. I never had more than one device connected so I don't need the additional capability of the HD sling box.

Wasn't sure what I would do with my old sling box but I'm thinking of connecting a couple of security cameras to it to monitor when I'm away.

iOS 4.2.1 dropped today for iPad. Hope the Dish app isn't too far behind.

Question about Sling using TV2. If I am watching something off the DVR (recorded program) will that interfere with Tuner2 being used to record live tv?

Last edited:
It wont stop the recording, but TV2 will be watching what the person on the Sling is watching such as a DVR'ed show (or the program being recorded) :)

Oh good, I don't use TV2 unless we have a guest, which is hardly ever. So I need to think as TV2 and Tuner2 as two different things.

OK, so let's say somebody is recording on TV2's satellite input tuner. Then somebody with a remote on the TV2's output turns it on. He sees the recording (if I understand correctly), but he can hit the DVR button and start watching a recording instead. When somebody then attaches via Sling Adapter, he too is looking at the program being recorded. Can he also hit the DVR button and play a 3rd program?

One question which I'm sure I know the answer to (and that answer is "no way")...

Will the SlingCatcher connect to the Sling Adapter? Any idea if this will be supported in the future?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)