SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Logitech Mini Controller

I received and set up my Logitech Mini Controller for the Google TV today. Word of caution to prospective buyers, make sure your television set has a USB port, since this system comes with a tiny USB unit that is used to coordinate the signals from the Logitech box to the television.

Found the mini controller a bit less cumbersome than using the larger keyboard that comes with the Revue system, although the keys are much smaller, and the mouse is somewhat sensitive. The unit does have the option to switch between the typical mouse scroll by pointing the arrow, or by using a left-right-up-down arrow navigation. Still getting used to it, but first impression is positive.

I received and set up my Logitech Mini Controller for the Google TV today. Word of caution to prospective buyers, make sure your television set has a USB port, since this system comes with a tiny USB unit that is used to coordinate the signals from the Logitech box to the television.

Found the mini controller a bit less cumbersome than using the larger keyboard that comes with the Revue system, although the keys are much smaller, and the mouse is somewhat sensitive. The unit does have the option to switch between the typical mouse scroll by pointing the arrow, or by using a left-right-up-down arrow navigation. Still getting used to it, but first impression is positive.

You should also note that you only need the little USB receiver if you don't have a Revue. The receiver is integrated into the Revue.

Nope dish announced this morning that google will unveil Google 2.0 with full support for google apps next week.:)

Google also announced 2.0 will be coming out making google tv more of a gaming device.

The strange part of the announcement is that google stated that 2.0 is optimized to work on a new faster chip from intel, does that mean the revue will be left out?

Thanks for the clarification. I am still learning this thing, and I wouldn't want to put any incorrect info out there:)

Well it confused me at first because I saw the little receiver inside the mini controller box, I wondered if I actually needed it. I didn't know if that unified receiver was part of the GoogleTV spec or something just specific to the Logitech hardware.

Google also announced 2.0 will be coming out making google tv more of a gaming device.

The strange part of the announcement is that google stated that 2.0 is optimized to work on a new faster chip from intel, does that mean the revue will be left out?

There might be some applications that run better on newer hardware, but there shouldn't be anything stopping them from giving us Revue customers the new versions. Google has said from the beginning that GoogleTV was released early and that they would build on it over time like they do with so many other Google products.

SNAP! Not only are we getting an update to GoogleTV, it's going to be 3.1 Honeycomb!

Pic of the Market from Google I/O keynote:
google-io-2011-day-10155.jpg

does the revue work like a wireless bridge? it reads like that, so I'm wondering...

You have that option if you plug your receiver into the Revue and then the Revue will use the wireless to connect out to your home network over the it's wireless. I think you might need to pay the DISH integration fee to use this feature, but I'm not 100% on that.

Google TV is going to get 'fixed'. They are getting deals done and honeycomb will really help out. Personally, though, I think anyone looking to get into this should wait for the next round of hardware, which will come out at the same time these deals are complete.

//Off Topic

With the new whole home stuff from Dish, I don't know that I will need Google. However, I can see a whole home system with 2 master DVR's for 6 tuners and a Google TV Device at (or integrated into) the main television. I am very excited about the new Dish stuff. I just hope it really comes out on time and works.

When should we expect updates to the Revue from Google I/O? Will these updates solve any of the network viewing issues? Are these updates expected to address the Adobe Flash Player issues? Just got the Revue and it was easy to setup but the lack of network viewing capability is the biggest issue for me.

costanzas_wallet said:
For some reason I'm not allowed to remove the DVR Integration .. they're telling me the only way I can remove the charge is by returning the unit. Is this true for everyone?

Did you try online?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts