SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

Has anyone figured out how to get a document off of google tv with the revue? I understand it doesn't support any print to functionality. Does it support any downloading of content? How about sending a link via e-mail? For those that have it, any thoughts on how you might share a link with anyone?

I'm thinking of my grandparents, and they always use their current computer to research medical stuff or stock stuff and often want to keep track of it. Currently they print, and they might still do that with google tv if they can get a link in their e-mail to go to later and print from.

I set up mine last night.. setup was easy.. network connected easily.. I have some questions.. It controls my VP722K receiver except it doesn't pwer off or on.. Can someone tell what setting I have to tweak in order for keyboard to power off and on my Dish receiver? How to change audio settings for HDMI? I have Sony DG1000 AV receiver hooked to HDMI out from revuew. My AV receiver shows Linear PCM (multi channel)all the time. On my dish receiver I have digital auding settings to DD and PCM. How I can I change audio setting on revue? It only gives me option for Optical audio but not for HDMI. Frame rate issues got little better with update but it still shows pixelaization here and there.. even sometimes while changing channels, you see pixel ghosting from previous channel... can soemone please help me with my questions.. Thanks

I had the Revue for a couple of days before returning it to BB. There were things to like about it, and quite a few that were deal killers for me at this point. I'll just list the deal killers for me:

1. I know this "con" might sound weird to some, and what I'd like to see might be problematic to implement, but in a nutshell, I'd like to at the very least continue to listen to the TV tuner audio no matter what I'm doing. In some cases, it does that, in other cases it doesn't. I'd like to still be able to hear what's on my E* receiver audio, while I browse my Netflix queue, for example. It is quite jarring for me to have silence while the Netflix app is running (while browsing queue). Of course, If I decide to play something in my Netflix queue, then the E* receiver audio should cease.

2. I'd like a setting that would always pop the PIP window when I launch an app/function. Google TV is, in fact, supposed to be television. TV, for me should have primacy, no matter what I'm doing. (Now I know some will disagree with this, that's why I'm just asking for a setting that can be turned off or on for those who want it). It is a pain to have to remember to push the PIP button first before launching an app to be able to continue watching TV while in the app. Also, if I'm in an app (Chrome, etc) pushing the PIP button should bring up PIP, but it doesnt.

3. I would love the GTV interface (Chrome, etc) to reformat around the PIP window, so that the PIP isn't covering up anything. Hell, I'm just wishing!

4. Need PIP window swap, and I reckon sizeable/repositionable, but swap, please!

5. Netflix. The version of Netflix really needs to be more Roku-like, but in addition to initially only having the most basic Netflix functions, it doesn't remember where I was "last" like the Roku does, meaning if I'm watching something in my queue and exit Netflix, and return later, it reloads my queue and takes me to the first item in my queue, not the last one I was watching, and with 200+ in my queue, it's a PITA to get back there.

6. I'm not certain that I'd be able to configure my Harmony One remote to launch a Watch GTV activity, and have it control things properly. I'm not expecting the Harmony One to be able to easily control all the GTV items that are on the Revue keyboard, but I want to launch GTV activity, and use my Harmony One to at least control my dish DVR properly. I'd probably only use the keyboard if I want to utilize GTV apps/functions outside of watching E* TV. I may not have messed with configuring the H1 enough, but I had issues getting my Harmony One to control my E* receiver correctly within a Watch Google TV activity that I created....and I'd consider myself quite the expert at getting an H1 tweaked to do exactly what I want.

Anyway, I see Google TV as an excellent start, but it needs some work, before I'd really be able to use it the way I'd want to. The single HDMI input is what is lacking in other devices, and so glad to see it with Google TV.

I set up mine last night.. setup was easy.. network connected easily.. I have some questions.. It controls my VP722K receiver except it doesn't pwer off or on.. Can someone tell what setting I have to tweak in order for keyboard to power off and on my Dish receiver? How to change audio settings for HDMI? I have Sony DG1000 AV receiver hooked to HDMI out from revuew. My AV receiver shows Linear PCM (multi channel)all the time. On my dish receiver I have digital auding settings to DD and PCM. How I can I change audio setting on revue? It only gives me option for Optical audio but not for HDMI. Frame rate issues got little better with update but it still shows pixelaization here and there.. even sometimes while changing channels, you see pixel ghosting from previous channel... can soemone please help me with my questions.. Thanks
I had to remove my TV and start over because I told the Revue the wrong HDMI input. I haven't found any tweaks yet. I have mine on my 922 and it works as it's supposed to.

You have to use the optical connection in order to get Dolby. And then everything is Dolby, even the Dish channels with PCM.

Last edited:

According to discussions on the Logitech Forum, the DISH receivers with Google TV integration capability won't work the keyboard on/off switch when set up in that mode. One of the bugs that hopefully will get fixed eventually. Remember this is V1.0

Scott,

When will they update Netflix and settle with the networks for programs? I can't get starz movies on Netfix right now. I'm hoping thins get resolved soon or this will be returned to Best Buy in January

Thanks

Scott,

When will they update Netflix and settle with the networks for programs? I can't get starz movies on Netfix right now. I'm hoping thins get resolved soon or this will be returned to Best Buy in January

Thanks

First I've heard of Starz issues, pretty sure wife watched a Starz Play movie last night on it, what is it saying?

I don't expect a resolution to the other sites blocking them, it's par for the course for them, some have done the same for cell phones too, has nothing to do with the providers of hardware or anything. They want to control the platforms their programming is on.

Last edited:
Scott,

Thanks
The Netflix app on Review only allows you to play what is in your instant queue. If you go to Netflix in Chrome on the Revue and try to add a movie to the Instant Queue you get a message that the operating system blah blah blah.

Here's how I do it from the comfort of my recliner using the NetQFree app on my EVO. I add what I want to see and then when I start the Netflix app on Revue there is the movie I just added. I know. Not as good as having it in the Revue app but at least I can do it.

After getting the new update on 11/02/10, What settings are working for you guys? This is how my set up is done.

From VIP722K, setup is to output 1080i.. On revue, I have auto (1080P) and I watching on 1080P lcd tv. I am still seeing pixelization n fast moving sport channels. What is a good setup that is working for you?

After getting the new update on 11/02/10, What settings are working for you guys? This is how my set up is done.

From VIP722K, setup is to output 1080i.. On revue, I have auto (1080P) and I watching on 1080P lcd tv. I am still seeing pixelization n fast moving sport channels. What is a good setup that is working for you?

I actually have it set up on the other side of my AV receiver (against google's suggestion).

722 -> AV Receiver -> Revue -> TV

The Receiver already upconverts everything to 1080P and I am not having any pixelation or stuttering with the revue. I'm not sure if this setup would negatively impact integration (I'm not paying the fee- but my understanding is that integration is via ethernet and not HDMI). I am not using the keyboard to control my 722 (it's in another room so all the IR blasters in the world aren't going to help), so I can't guarantee that this setup won't have some quirky effect on universal remote control functions.

Does anyone know why logitech suggested that the Revue be placed before the AV Receiver rather than after? I'm really enjoying having the google TV overlay to all my inputs.

I actually have it set up on the other side of my AV receiver (against google's suggestion).

722 -> AV Receiver -> Revue -> TV

The Receiver already upconverts everything to 1080P and I am not having any pixelation or stuttering with the revue. I'm not sure if this setup would negatively impact integration (I'm not paying the fee- but my understanding is that integration is via ethernet and not HDMI). I am not using the keyboard to control my 722 (it's in another room so all the IR blasters in the world aren't going to help), so I can't guarantee that this setup won't have some quirky effect on universal remote control functions.

Does anyone know why logitech suggested that the Revue be placed before the AV Receiver rather than after? I'm really enjoying having the google TV overlay to all my inputs.

Interesting. How are you listening to sound from your Revue with this set up, through the TV speakers? I just set mine up and am frustrated with the way it is passing the sound data to my AVR. Some of my locals are coming through as 5.1, and some of them are nolw coming in as 2 channel stereo.....very frustrating.

Pat A said:
Interesting. How are you listening to sound from your Revue with this set up, through the TV speakers? I just set mine up and am frustrated with the way it is passing the sound data to my AVR. Some of my locals are coming through as 5.1, and some of them are nolw coming in as 2 channel stereo.....very frustrating.

Yes, through my tv speakers. Quite honestly, I set it up this way for convenience sake (it was easier finding the hdmi to the tv than pulling out all my components and finding the hdmi from the 722 to the AVR. If tv speaker audio for revue sources becomes an issue (I'm not using the revue's netflix app so it hasn't thus far), I might reconsider and change the setup.

I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere but I must have missed it; is there a commitment for ordering the Revue through Dish? I heard a lot of speculation but nothing concrete. If it was answered in one of the several Google TV threads, it should be added to the review for easier future reference.

It doesn't add anything to ur committment. Onlything you have to do is to pay 4.00 integration fee to dish if you are gong to buy from them.
It doesn;t say how long you have to keep paying the integration fee.

What is the point of going HDMI in and out of the Google TV box? Is that just to save an HDMI port on your tv?

Reason why I am asking, what if I put the Google TV box in a different room than my DVR? Can I still stream live and recorded TV from my DVR in HD?

The point of the HDMI input and output is to have a seamless integration of IPTV and your STB into one HDTV input. You can instantly switch between sources (or even have a transparent overlay) without changing the input on your TV.

A couple interesting probs.

Has anyone else noticed these issues.

The other day my wife called me at work and said she couldn't hear the TV but could see a picture. My set up is 922 to Revue to TV via digital optical to receiver. We also have an XBOX to the TV via another HDMI port and they could hear that sound fine.

When I got home I found that the Revue was no longer seeing the TV at all. I could only see the Revue but no TV in the box and couldn't switch to TV. Under TV my 922 was no longer listed. Rebooting the Revue fixed everything.

Last night I got home and found gray white streaks across the entire screen when viewing the 922. Sound was OK and I could switch channels, etc fine. Again rebooting the Revue fixed all.

Haven't yet checked with the Logitech site or called them. Otherwise been very happy with the Revue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)