SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
There is certainly a huge discussion on this obnoxious fee somewhere around here.

The difference in this FEE is that you can REMOVE it if you want to . Unlike most DISH fees, where you can't escape them.

That is very interesting. Hadn't even considered that twist, and I don't recall that Dish mentioned that in the promo material or the web store. I wonder how it would behave without the integration.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You lose recording in the Search.
You lose the ability to set a timer from Revue Menus
You can still search and set the DVR the same as with the original remote.

With integration you cannot customize the Dish commands on the controller when you un integrate it you regain this function.

I had it and played with it briefly I don't see that it is worth $4 a month

You lose recording in the Search.
You lose the ability to set a timer from Revue Menus
You can still search and set the DVR the same as with the original remote.

With integration you cannot customize the Dish commands on the controller when you un integrate it you regain this function.

I had it and played with it briefly I don't see that it is worth $4 a month

Thanks for that info. I just got mine this afternoon and installed. Things went very smoothly. I've just begun to check out its capabilities - Flickr albums look great, and we enjoy the slideshows, although I did manage to hang it once, popping in and out of a very large album. Interesting, it gets Forced Closes, just like the phone apps, but I guess that's not a big surprise.

One of the prime draws, along with the Dish discount that piqued my interest in getting the unit, is the availability of free movies and TV shows on demand from Amazon, for Prime account holders.

We're in the middle of watching our first freebee on demand movie. It started up quickly, and looks really good. I haven't noticed any frame drops, or any other video issues. It's not Dolby, but I'm not sure if its just this movie, or that way on all of the Amazon On Demand stuff.

So far, so good. I'll need time to comprehend and evaluate the pros and cons of the $4 integration service from Dish, against the list that Towboy provided, but the unit itself looks pretty good to me.

Will say this about the system, we accessed the Chrome app, brought up one of the online news sites, and were able to watch the video from the Japan earthquake on the 47" flat screen. Impressive, and scary....

Wrote this on another forum but figured I'd post it over here since people are asking for feedback. I said I was going to see if I could stream an episode of Spartacus and watch an NBA game over the Logitech, and if I was able to do these two seemingly simple tasks, I'd give it five stars..

Well, all aboard the FailBoat... This device is extremely limited. The stock apps are mostly Subscription based or lame .. Crackle is okay when stacked up to the rest of it, but Crackle sucks on it's own anyways, so it's a moot point.

To be fair, I'm not disappointed in Google, as they are up against the networks and it's still a work in progress, however.... I purchased it through Dish. I was under the impression that I could use DishOnline, their OnDemand service, via this unit.. and guess what.. not supported... Awesome, right? I can watch all this content on my TV through the DVR, but Dish's OnDemand service via the DVR must be downloaded before it can be viewed .. it's not streamed.. therefor, you need to demand to watch something 40 minutes to an hour and a half before you want to watch, but you can watch it instantly on a browser .. except for the Google browser used with GoogleTV. Makes sense to me that Dish would not support this feature for Dish Subscribers with Dish equipment.

also.. The HBOGO app that comes stock?? not supported by Dish.

I'm giving this thing a chance .. I'll continue to play with it and see if I can muster the $180.00 plus $4.00 per month value out of it, but at this point it's looking bleak.

Moral of the story: needs moar support

Last edited:
Hi, do we need to have a dish DVR service to use this? I ran through a few posts, saw some info, but wanted to be clear.

I have a VIP222K. any thoughts?

The last page of the promo brochure says "Available with compatible DISH Network receiver models only (VIP 622, 722 and 722k)", so it looks like it either can't be used, or isn't being offered by DISH with the discounted price for VIP222's.

The last page of the promo brochure says "Available with compatible DISH Network receiver models only (VIP 622, 722 and 722k)", so it looks like it either can't be used, or isn't being offered by DISH with the discounted price for VIP222's.

The discount is almost irrelevant, with tigerdirect selling the same for 210 to 220$ and no monthly charge (4$ with dish). EVen costco sells it for 230$.

The product details says that it works with all settop boxes and satellite receivers, it might not be able to use the DVR features of dish, but would want to confirm that it will work fine with my 222k without dish's intervention or monthly charge (If i buy from amazon/costco/tigerdirect).

Thanks

The discount is almost irrelevant, with tigerdirect selling the same for 210 to 220$ and no monthly charge (4$ with dish). EVen costco sells it for 230$.

The product details says that it works with all settop boxes and satellite receivers, it might not be able to use the DVR features of dish, but would want to confirm that it will work fine with my 222k without dish's intervention or monthly charge (If i buy from amazon/costco/tigerdirect).

Thanks

There's still a $30-$50 differential between those prices and the DISH discount offer at $179, and I was told in an earlier post on this thread that you can cancel the $4 monthly subscription with minimal loss of integration, so it could still be relevant for anyone on a budget. I don't doubt that it will actually work fine on your 222k, but will leave that to someone who actually knows. Good luck.

There's still a $30-$50 differential between those prices and the DISH discount offer at $179, and I was told in an earlier post on this thread that you can cancel the $4 monthly subscription with minimal loss of integration, so it could still be relevant for anyone on a budget. I don't doubt that it will actually work fine on your 222k, but will leave that to someone who actually knows. Good luck.

You are right on the difference, but I could not order one from dish without upgrading to a DVR service. So i have to get it from the retailers instead of dish.

I will have to wait for someone here to throw some light on its usage with the 222K. Thanks

Logitech started sending out an update yesturday. Here's what's new/fixed:

Windows Media Audio (WMA) codec support has been included Logitech Media Player

We fixed the issues that prevented the Logitech Media Player app from displaying media when using the MediaTomb UPnP media server. Logitech Media Player
We fixed the issues that prevented the detection of a USB drive when the Logitech TV Cam is connected. Logitech Media Player
We fixed the issues that prevented playback of files 2GB or larger from a USB device. Logitech Media Player
We fixed the issues that caused the Revue to reboot when connected to a D-Link DIR-655 router. Revue

The latest version ends in "b47773".
Revue & Google TV Update - March 15, 2011 - Logitech Forums

DustoMan said:
Logitech started sending out an update yesturday. Here's what's new/fixed:

Windows Media Audio (WMA) codec support has been included Logitech Media Player

We fixed the issues that prevented the Logitech Media Player app from displaying media when using the MediaTomb UPnP media server. Logitech Media Player
We fixed the issues that prevented the detection of a USB drive when the Logitech TV Cam is connected. Logitech Media Player
We fixed the issues that prevented playback of files 2GB or larger from a USB device. Logitech Media Player
We fixed the issues that caused the Revue to reboot when connected to a D-Link DIR-655 router. Revue

The latest version ends in "b47773".
Revue & Google TV Update - March 15, 2011 - Logitech Forums

That is underwhelming. Given the amount of time since the last update, I was hoping for the next update to be significant...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)