SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So basically GoogleTV and our Revue units run on the Android operating system. The same (more or less) operating system that their phones run on. What you use to access the web is a version of Google's Chrome browser which allows you to access the web. You can see websites in the same way you can see them on a computer. Instead of seeing it as another way for people to consume their content, movie and TV companies flipped out and thought that Google was using this box to attack their pay TV options. So that's why those content providers that Google didn't check with first blocked access.

Sites can be specially formatted for the GoogleTV interface and remote controls. These sites are listed in the Spotlight section of the Home screen. These sites are built using HTML5 and don't require any installation on the users part. You essentially point it at a web address and off you go. You don't have direct access to the GoogleTV hardware and are limited to whatever the browser is capable of. This is as far as people have been able to go with GoogleTV so far. But this will change when our Revue boxes will one day be updated to the latest version of Android - 3.1 Honeycomb and are given access to the Android Market.

The Android Market will be a place for us to go and see software that other people have made specifically for our GoogleTVs and our specific hardware. These native apps are first installed by us and work better then browser web apps since they are not limited by the capabilities of the browser. A native HBO Go app for example, would be hopefully faster and would be more stable than it's current web app that is in the Spotlight section. Probably the easiest example of a native application that would be on the market would be Games, but really since Google is for the most part open on what can be in the market. You could go back there once a week and eventually once a day and find something new to try out if the platform takes off. We won't have to wait for Logitech to slowly fix their media player and roll out updates slowly over the course of a week. They could push out new builds more quickly using the Market or hell someone else could take over and port their own media player app with better codec and playback abilities.

So I hope that helps you to answer some of your questions, or maybe I just made you think of even more. I don't know but, I really think that with access to the Android Market, apps made by people who already make great apps for phones and tablets, and a better version of the OS goes a long way to making the Revue more useful than what it is now. There's just so much potential here that's Scott's "turd" could really become something shiny!

AnandTech - Google TV 2.0 Coming to Logitech Revue This Summer

Fishtank isn’t the only testing ground for Google TV 2.0, though. We can confirm that Logitech is testing the new software on Revue units on their campus and working with in-house developers to prepare a suite of apps for its users. Current Revue owners can expect the new software to land late this summer, a broad window to be sure, but better than no window at all. Logitech would not comment on new hardware, though with such an upgrade in software it would be surprising to not see something new in hardware. It’s certainly comforting to see that GTV early adopters will not be left behind, as can so often be the case. More information on Google TV 2.0 as it becomes available.

Looks like the Revue price is dropping again... this time to $99.

Too bad the software still sucks... but with the upgrade coming this could be a great deal!

Looks like the Revue price is dropping again... this time to $99.

Too bad the software still sucks... but with the upgrade coming this could be a great deal!

That price drop should make it a much more compelling buy.

Assuming the Revue has sufficient horsepower to support the update, I agree it is a very good deal.

We've been pretty happy with ours. It's not perfect, but we use ours every day for Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Music play, and picture viewing. I don't really think the software sucks - it's better than that, but I am looking forward to having it realize its full potential

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The Revue will work with the update fine.

I know someone who is testing the update and while he won't tell me much he tells me it is "amazing" and a night and day difference.

Can't wait. :)

Thanks for the source link. I think Google is taking the right action to accelerate adoption.

I alerted my brother to the price drop. He and his wife have been considering a purchase - now he will have a better reason to buy one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Holy crap! First the 3DS gets $80 chopped off the price and now the Revue is $99? Damn! Roll this in with Honeycomb and this makes the Revue a hot device. I really hope when they push that out, that they do a massive ad campaign touting Honeycomb and the price.

They better be thinking about dropping the price on accessories too cause that Mini Controller remote would cost MORE than the device it drives!

I read some other parts of the remarks and it sounds like the Harmony remotes didn't sell well either. They really need to release another high end remote, I got my Harmony One a LONG time ago and updates for the software that works with it have gone dead. What the heck are those guys doing?

I haven't read the release but this could be just to burn through inventory prior to the next round of hardware. I've seen how newer versions of Android have breathed new life into my original Droid, just scrptical about this hardware. There's also Logitech's lackluster support for the sw they've got on the machine. Bet the media player never makes it out of 'beta'.

Even worse, if Logitech has had a change of heart maybe this is a sign of them giving up on the platform.

I hope the price cut and honeycomb release inspire modders, I don't think there's any reason to expect much more from Logitech.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I haven't read the release but this could be just to burn through inventory prior to the next round of hardware. I've seen how newer versions of Android have breathed new life into my original Droid, just scrptical about this hardware. There's also Logitech's lackluster support for the sw they've got on the machine. Bet the media player never makes it out of 'beta'.

Even worse, if Logitech has had a change of heart maybe this is a sign of them giving up on the platform.

I hope the price cut and honeycomb release inspire modders, I don't think there's any reason to expect much more from Logitech.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

One thing I missed until I read the Engadget post about this was that their CEO was basically "asked to leave the island". Which is a shame because I guess he was the real champion of GoogleTV on the Logitech side. Who knows what will happen when a new CEO comes in.

As far as a newer version of the hardware goes, I don't think we will see that happen anytime soon. Google gave their devs that are in their preview program a black box hardware that has the exact same chipset as the Revue but with some additional connections to get their own apps on there. Kinda like the dev kits that someone like Sony or Microsoft gives devs to make games on. Plus your point about the Android OS being really scalable breathing new life into hardware is dead on. And I think I also read that Google is going to merge back in support for Intel processors back into they main Android path when they put out Ice Cream Sandwich in the late fall/early winter when the allow devs to write one app that will work on phone/tablet or TV. When Honeycomb is final, we are going to see other manufacturers dust off the GoogleTV products they were going to come out with at the beginning of the year but with Honeycomb shipping on them. The hardware spec is going to stay the same, because why would you change something that already works? Finally, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Logitech back out of making their own software for the device, I mean why would they have to when Google or 3rd-party developers can make the same software better. Just focus on making the hardware run well (cause I mean really, Logitech is a hardware company- not a software company) and let the software stay with the software devs.

Just about any site that streams video will work with the Revue box (obvious exceptions are the major networks that fear a mass exodus of paying cable/satellite subscribers and have blocked it). The only time I have an issue is when I try to open a .pdf document off of a website. Buzzzz. Not supported.

Another thing to put on the wishlist is the ability to print. I have a printer hooked in to my network and would be able to print forms (fandango ticket purchase confirmations, etc.) IF they would enable the function. It sure is nice being able to websurf on a huge TV screen.

8 months without an update is too long. I too am worried this box might never get beyond version 1.0, but a price chop will bring it back into line with Roku and Apple TV where it always needed to be to truly compete. Now that it is at the same price point AND has a full web browser, it can be a category killer with a little more TLC from the coders...

Once it supports the local network feeds I am all over this. Until then I don't really have use for it as I have everything else covered with other devices.

Google TV Receives Honeycomb – Android Market Makes a Surprise Appearance

Looks like the folks over at GTVhacker have successfully updated a stock Logitech Revue with a Honeycomb 3.1 update via a thumb-drive. Hopefully this will make it's way around to the public sooner than later.

Also, it's been announced that the official release of 3.1 isn't expected until end of September... yet another month setback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)