SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

Just went to my local BestBuy. They do have them in stock for $99. Waiting to see if Dish will still offer the $70 rebate with base price of $99. I would definately buy one for $29 even if just to play with occasionally.

It appears my Revue is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. So do I need to apply any updates that may be available once it's installed? I know many have complained about the beta that was released. If I update will it apply the beta or is it applied in a different way? I think I want to stay away from it for now if possible.

I know many have complained about the beta that was released. If I update will it apply the beta or is it applied in a different way? I think I want to stay away from it for now if possible.

No, installing the beta involves using a USB drive to load new firmware onto the device. You'll get the latest stable 2.1 version direct from Logitech when you use the Over The Air updater.

Just went to my local BestBuy. They do have them in stock for $99. Waiting to see if Dish will still offer the $70 rebate with base price of $99. I would definately buy one for $29 even if just to play with occasionally.

What might you be talking about? -referring to the $70 rebate

I got mine last night from Logitech. Not sure what I think yet. Setup took awhile but was not too bad. I would not have paid the original price but since this is the same price as Roku I thought it might be worth a try.

I got mine yesterday as well. Still learning some things. I know it's definitely not a replacement for the PC when it comes to web browsing. Really slow, but it's fine for a quick look at something while watching TV. I played around with HBOGO a little. Now that alone may make it worth the $99. It's nice to be able to go back to the beginning on some series, like True Blood for example. That was a show I never started, but after it's done so well I wished I had watched it. Now I can and don't have to sit in front of the computer to do it.

What might you be talking about? -referring to the $70 rebate

For some time now DISH has been selling REvues for $70 less than the price available elsewhere. If they intend to do that now they are bit b ehind the times. My gues is that they will not but will soon be selling the Revue 2 atq reduced price.

There are no immediate plans for a Revue 2 unit.

Beta testers are currently testing the new GoogleTV software on regular Revue units.

The hardware has always been good, its been the software which has sucked.

the leaked 3.1 update is bricking boxes.. looks like logitech closed the update authentication, so now once you've installed the update on your revue and then connect to the server to authenticate, it fails. You're then left sitting with an updated revue that can't get past step 11 of 11 of the update process, rendering it nothing more than an updated paper-weight (remember, you can't go back once the zip file is uploaded onto the device).

Hope that once the official 3.1 update rolls out, those with bricked units will be able to update to the official release.. or Logitech reopens the auth port.

the leaked 3.1 update is bricking boxes.. looks like logitech closed the update authentication, so now once you've installed the update on your revue and then connect to the server to authenticate, it fails. You're then left sitting with an updated revue that can't get past step 11 of 11 of the update process, rendering it nothing more than an updated paper-weight (remember, you can't go back once the zip file is uploaded onto the device).

Hope that once the official 3.1 update rolls out, those with bricked units will be able to update to the official release.. or Logitech reopens the auth port.

I havent read one post on it???? Where have you come to this ?????

There are no immediate plans for a Revue 2 unit.

Beta testers are currently testing the new GoogleTV software on regular Revue units.

The hardware has always been good, its been the software which has sucked.

They have been talking openly about another generation for some time now. Logitech CEO says 2nd generation hardware is the key for Google TV | GTVHub.com

I have sen nothing about a release date but a markdown like this often means that they are abandoning the platform-----I doubt it in this case-----or that the next generation will be out soon. My money is on the latter.

They have been talking openly about another generation for some time now. Logitech CEO says 2nd generation hardware is the key for Google TV | GTVHub.com

I have sen nothing about a release date but a markdown like this often means that they are abandoning the platform-----I doubt it in this case-----or that the next generation will be out soon. My money is on the latter.

1. That article is from Oct 2010 before rumors started coming out in December that Google was telling their GTV hardware makers to not show anything at CES because the GTV software is getting an overhaul.

2. That CEO was canned last week.

IF Google was planning a new hardware revision, they wouldn't have given developers Fishtank boxes based on Revue hardware. If anything, I think we would see a new advertizing push once Honeycomb is done. With Logitech trying to distance the current version of the GTV software from the new one trying to get people to try it out again and see what's new. With Logitech getting back more unit returns from vendors than sales, there's no way they are going to just write off that much hardware.

Yes the article is old----the point is that they have always talked about having another generation. I selected an old article for exactly that reason. As for no new boxes that is probably as much about not giving awat rhe new OS as anything else.

The CEO is gone but that does not mean that they have given up the idea of another generation.

You are probably right about a push AFTER Honeycomb is done but if they have problems with the hardware that is actually an argument in favor of the idea of replacing it.

Yes the article is old----the point is that they have always talked about having another generation. I selected an old article for exactly that reason. As for no new boxes that is probably as much about not giving awat rhe new OS as anything else.

The CEO is gone but that does not mean that they have given up the idea of another generation.

You are probably right about a push AFTER Honeycomb is done but if they have problems with the hardware that is actually an argument in favor of the idea of replacing it.

The most compelling argument against the existence of the next gen of hardware IMO is the lack of forward looking statements supporting the platform outside of the Revue price drop when they reported they'd received more returns than sales last quarter.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.991753,-115.142196

Sorry but I think that both the proce drop and the problems with the current hardware point to a plan to repalce it. having said that unless they know when they can release it they would be foolish to say anything deginite about the next generation. but they not only have not denied it----they have consistently said it is part of the plan.

But that is my take on it. In the end we are talking about reading the signs and I suppose we can all read them differently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)