SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott,

Do they still have the DLNA limitation for streaming media from a LAN, or have they wisened up and allowed for CIFS shares?

DLNA is a protocol that CE manufacturers and content makers have kinda agreed upon for streaming media around the home while also keeping it "safe". I have more consumer devices that support DLNA. I really doubt if Logitech would add CIFS support, but some other dev of a media player might.

DLNA is a protocol that CE manufacturers and content makers have kinda agreed upon for streaming media around the home while also keeping it "safe". I have more consumer devices that support DLNA. I really doubt if Logitech would add CIFS support, but some other dev of a media player might.

i'm familiar with DLNA and given modern processing capacity on ce devices there's no need to have a transcoder in the mix.

As for cifs, there are options in the market, but you can't get at them.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

There a bunch of reports on the web about a small update being rolled out now, with the "big" one coming soon. One such link is below.

Technology Daily News | Google TV update rolling out today, Honeycomb coming soon
Scott's Logitech Revue GoogleTV Gets Honeycomb

SatelliteGuys Founder Scott Greczkowski turned on his television tonight to find a surprise and that surprise was that his Logitech Revue GoogleTV box got a software update with the upcoming Honeycomb software release!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...gitech-revue-googletv-%96-54.html#post2646793

Scott's Logitech Revue GoogleTV Gets Honeycomb

SatelliteGuys Founder Scott Greczkowski turned on his television tonight to find a surprise and that surprise was that his Logitech Revue GoogleTV box got a software update with the upcoming Honeycomb software release!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...gitech-revue-googletv-%96-54.html#post2646793

I know, that is why I posted the link, to help explain why Scott received the update. :rolleyes:

I haven't checked again this morning but no update for me as of last night.

Sorry if already asked...a very long thread. Are the Logitech Revues HDMI 1.4a? Any surround sound issues or problems with using it with a HDMI switch?

Last edited:
jdmart said:
Sorry if already asked...a very long thread. Are the Logitech Revues HDMI 1.4a? Any surround sound issues or problems with using it with a HDMI switch?

I think I read on here that they are HDMI 1.2a but should have nothing to with surround sound.

I think I read on here that they are HDMI 1.2a but should have nothing to with surround sound.

Thanks! Didn't know if the HDMI version mattered but was curious since my Sony Bravia HDTV, Pioneer Elite Receiver, Switch (on order) and cables are all 4.1a and I didn't want the Revue to possibly hinder any of the benefits of 4.1a.

Was not asking about HDMI surround sound issues specifically but surround sound issues in general with the Revue. Read posts somewhere a while back that some people would lose surround sound when using a switch with the review. This may not be an issue anymore with updates.

Was thinking of getting the Revue now that it's only $99.

The Logitech Revue screws with the audio from the source, outputting PCM thru its HDMI output, instead of bitstream. It will annoyingly take a perfectly good DD5.1 signal from your source STB, and turn it into compressed, lifeless, stereo crap. And, because it's a 5/7.1 PCM signal, even though it is using only 2 channels of it, it will remain stereo from your AVR, as Dolby PLII will not enhance what it thinks is already 5/7.1. For that reason, I have my living room GTV setup as a standalone source device. I do not pass any signal thru it from my source DVR. (My BR unit is setup in the standard pass-thru configuration, as I normally just use the TV sound in there.)

The "beta" update that Scott found on his Revue does not fix this glaring audio design flaw. (I might or might not have the same update. I'm not at liberty to say. But, I do know it doesn't fix it.)