SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/08/2007

Still considering jumping ship but not because of the extra HD channels on Direct.....is it true that Direct has better HD picture resolution?

Picture quality is determined by Bitrate - not resolution.

However, it is certainly possible that DirecTV has more bitrate on equivalent channels than Dish - has anyone actually measured ?

However, it is certainly possible that DirecTV has more bitrate on equivalent channels than Dish - has anyone actually measured ?

Thanks...would also like to know if anyone has compared the bitrate lately

Subjectively it appears PQ on the new MPEG4 DTV channels is superior. Dish has PQ edge over the older HD stations but not by much. So far no breakups or loss of signal from DTV, even through the nasty storms we've had here this week.

But just because Dish or any provider does not give out a plan about everything their doing not mean their not working on something.

Just because I have an inkling in the back of my mind that Dish is probably working on something, doesn't mean I am going to stay and play the waiting game. Dish needs to communicate with their customers. You've got something in the works? Tell us... you might just keep some of us around and avoid our bailing on you. I think all this goes without saying.

I say Dish is obsolete because I have the luxury of two providers. I got Dish as my secondary to compliment my existing cable subscription and give me a lot more HD. Cable has now caught up, so I have pretty much lost the need to pay for two providers. I am not saying Dish is obsolete to everybody, but as a secondary provider to me with stuff I wouldn't otherwise have, they are becoming obsolete.

Well like I said go with what you want but right now Dish nor Direct is obsolete right now cable tv is behind the times. I have the luxury of 3 providers one being cable TV which offers less and their hardware is not near as good as Dish or Direct.. So if you like cable go with them but Dish and Direct are by far ahead of curve on the cable industry. But yet again thats my 2 cents. :)

They can do two things right now to gain bandwidth:

- Launch more satellites, costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

OR

- Replace all MPEG2 receivers with MPEG4, costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

Previously, I was sure that number 2 was too expensive to consider, but launching satellites is not cheap either, and when you upgrade people's receivers, you also allow new possibilities for revenue (VOD being only one example).

In a similar way to only installing certain large dishes for specialized customers (International channels and locals from small DMAs), it is possible that they could require some customer segments to convert to MPEG4 (with a basic model receiver available for free swap).

AT250 includes a lot of extra channels, but probably has a small user base with non-ViP receivers - that might be a good starting point. (Whereas AT100 probably has millions of customers with older basic MPEG2 receivers only).
or move select popular SD channels to MPEG-4 and charge a 100 dollar "UPGRADE" fee to continue watching them

i called dish last night they r offering a free antenna for the change fortunately i'm all set.

Yeah like I have said in the long run Dish and Direct will have about the same amount of HD Channels as they do SD. So overall it does not really matter you go with who has better service and better hardware so forth. People like making mountains out of mole hills when really there no need to.

Come on E* atleast one HD channel....ONE!!! Forget about trying to catch up to D*.

In answer to your desperation, Dish has added one more channel with a billboard that says Dish HDTV and some monaural background music.

There ya go! Now shut the F UP! :D
Oh for those who might be offended that was NYC-speak.

You didn't ask for content but considering how interested all the bean counters are in this thread, numbers is what its all about. None of you care about good content, whether it's SD stretched to widescreen and then wasted bandwidth to puit it on an HD channel width. just gimmy more, more more, more is all you all care about. You'd be happy with some mini DV widescreen camera trained on Charlie picking his nose all day if it added one more channel count to Dish's list. But then D* would follow with 3 similar channels of similar content.

Of all the new HD channels recently added in this numbers race, how many of you gimmy gimmy people have actually watched any of them for more than 5 seconds?

I know this, as they have polluted the DBS airwaves with all this junk fake HD, I have watched Dish Network channels much less, in the last 2 months. Now in part because I added real HDTV content to my Home theater in the form of BluRay and HD DVD but also because the channels added are becomming worse quality and worse content (technically) than we had last summer on Dish and DirecTV.

This numbers game has gotten out of hand and you all are the ones responsible for it. You who have no interest in content, just a numbers race have convinced the providers this is what's important. It's nice to have a few new quality channels we didn't have before but just adding channels with fake HD is really annoying, More annoying than when DirecTV was lieing for years in its advertising about HDTV. Scott was right, They woke DishNetwork up with their lies and now suckered Dish Network into playing the same game. But thats OK because you all like to be lied to.

PS- alexgmny- Didn't mean to single you out but your wording just embodied everyone's attitude on this.

Hey no problem. I have HDTV fever...and i do watch and record several HD channels. Now with the winter getting here, having more options in HD channels is great. I am not asking E* to show right now the same amount of HD channels D* is offering....I do want E* to be a little more active and finally E* is showing heart beats. I know USA and Scifi wont be a TRUE HD channel but next year i expect several channels to start a BOOM in HD programing.

I agree with Don. The number game is stupid. It's all marketing and if you're talking about, then you're playing their game! Also, Don has said it b4, if you want TRUE HD, get yourself a Blu-ray or HD DVD player.....

I agree with Don. The number game is stupid. It's all marketing and if you're talking about, then you're playing their game! Also, Don has said it b4, if you want TRUE HD, get yourself a Blu-ray or HD DVD player.....

I have a HD-DVD player...but i am not buying every movie that comes out. Like i said. Next year you are going to see more and more HD programing from the current channels that are not showing HD. ALSO we all know that HD content from E* or D* or cable is not True HD, but its better than SD. Come on!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)