SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/08/2007

Sometimes they do uplink channels without connecting them to any video streams but for the most part they uplink and tie them in.

I don't get it. How can they "uplink" something that's not there? I mean, the bird just takes the incoming signal and sends it back down, right? It doesn't do any processing, does it?

Or do you just mean they make a spot in the channel map? I know that you can see that stuff with your equipment, but I wouldn't consider that uplinking.

I've been out of school for a long time, but I didn't think I was THAT out of touch with Sat Tech.:eek:

wow, when a channel is uplinked, it takes up bandwidth regardless if it's available or not.

Hey, don't quote me! I'm not the one who asked!

But now Digiblur's got me even more confused, because he had an answer to what I thought was a ridiculous question.

I have a HD-DVD player...but i am not buying every movie that comes out. Like i said. Next year you are going to see more and more HD programing from the current channels that are not showing HD. ALSO we all know that HD content from E* or D* or cable is not True HD, but its better than SD. Come on!!

alexgmny, notice i didn't quote you in my post. My post was in agreement with Don, nothing else....

wow, when a channel is uplinked, it takes up bandwidth regardless if it's available or not.

So FSN NY HD and MSG HD have been taking up bandwidth for over a year?

Does that mean that the reason theyre NA is contractual?

As much as I watch those 2 channels (in SD :( ), I would say theyre are very important channels for me personnaly. But I still value my 622 and external HDD more than any individual channel so I think I'm gonna hang tight and be patient.

The only other channel I really cared about is SCIFI and it there's now hope there too. Both channels I want (SCIFI & FSNNY) are uplinked but NA. :mad:

Hey, don't quote me! I'm not the one who asked!

But now Digiblur's got me even more confused, because he had an answer to what I thought was a ridiculous question.

You guys are confusing yourselves.

When they uplink a channel they can do it two ways.

1. Put an entry in the map pointed to no video stream with the channel name and number. This takes no bandwidth.

2. Put an entry in the map pointed to an actual video stream of the said channel name. This takes bandwidth on the TP they are uplinking to. How much bandwidth? Depends on the encoder settings.

So FSN NY HD and MSG HD have been taking up bandwidth for over a year?

Does that mean that the reason theyre NA is contractual?

As much as I watch those 2 channels (in SD :( ), I would say theyre are very important channels for me personnaly. But I still value my 622 and external HDD more than any individual channel so I think I'm gonna hang tight and be patient.

The only other channel I really cared about is SCIFI and it there's now hope there too. Both channels I want (SCIFI & FSNNY) are uplinked but NA. :mad:

No. They are likely place holder entries. The reports on the net suggest DirecTV had to get a dedicated fiber link for MSG HD and FSNNY HD.

Just because a channel name shows up in the uplink chart doesn't mean any video stream is attached to it, nor if a video stream is there, is it necessarily from that channel. (i.e. when DirecTV was testing their new mpeg4 channels a lot of people noticed NFL Network HD with a big NHL Network test logo for it. Even though the channel didn't exist at the time they used similar content for testing so they could tweak encoder and statmuxer settings, etc. for the event that they could carry the channel in the future.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)