SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/22/2007

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
A&E and History show about two hours each of true HD programming or at least full screen un-stretched programming a day at best.

I agree as time goes forward, these channel will show more and more HD. But if it is, as some suggest a way for Dish to fudge more HD channels on the system in the short run until the new satellites are launched and operational, then I'm all for it.

I think you're a little off on your assessment of their HD programming but that's really not important. I certainly agree that anything that will allow Dish to give us a few more HD channels (as long as they don't suffer in quality any more than they already have) is fine with me.

=NLK=

I am not a expert what so ever. If a channel is using up convert sd to stretch or hd, I would think it is still using the same bandwith with either.

They can actually control the bitrate per channel. The higher the bitrate the better the channel will look. So a channel like TBS HD will still look good at a lower bitrate since there's little HD content.

They can actually control the bitrate per channel. The higher the bitrate the better the channel will look. So a channel like TBS HD will still look good at a lower bitrate since there's little HD content.

So when TBS hd is showing some Real hd, Dish will up the bitrate?? The few times TBS HD did show hd the pq was awesome.

So when TBS hd is showing some Real hd, Dish will up the bitrate?? The few times TBS HD did show hd the pq was awesome.

The encoder will up the bit rate by itself. I'm sure there's a hundred settings on the encoders to setup priority levels and optimizations to each channel as needed.

Natl. Geographic and Cinemax look pretty good to me. Don't know about the other ones since they don't really have much HD content. I think Tony hit it righ on the head when he said that they could get away with 7 HD channels because most of those don't have too much HD content.

Um, if your location is correct, you're in the SF Bay area and almost certainly using 129 for HD. The 7 per transponder test is only on 61.5.

Many of E*'s channels are too soft already. I can't imagine it getting worse than it is right now. If adding one more channel on a transponder degrades the picture quality from what it is today, I say don't add any more channels until the bandwidth is available.

I just posted a poll. Please do not give it away that they put the 7 channels on the same TP for a few days. All staff will delete any posts mentioning this in the poll thread. I'd like to see the true results of the poll for the folks that don't know the numbers.

I just posted a poll. Please do not give it away that they put the 7 channels on the same TP for a few days. All staff will delete any posts mentioning this in the poll thread. I'd like to see the true results of the poll for the folks that don't know the numbers.

Um, shouldn't you put a companion control poll as well?

I guessed that was the reason for the poll Digiblur! Some bandwith reclaiming going on . I knew that they were trying to add 6 hd channels per transponder in mpeg 4, but no idea they could put 7 without a change in pq. If that is indeed what they have planned, to put 7 hd channels to one transponder, how many hd channels could DISH add using existing transponders Digi?

Also, remember that NGeo-HD is 720p.

Are any others of the seven 720p ?

HistoryHD and A&E HD are 720p too.

I guessed that was the reason for the poll Digiblur! Some bandwith reclaiming going on . I knew that they were trying to add 6 hd channels per transponder in mpeg 4, but no idea they could put 7 without a change in pq. If that is indeed what they have planned, to put 7 hd channels to one transponder, how many hd channels could DISH add using existing transponders Digi?

Yes indeed on the poll! ;)

They haven't been trying on the 6, they are doing. Now they are trying the 7.

Not sure off hand. They could mix in 4 or 5 others if this pans out for them. Preparing for a wave to release during CES maybe?

HistoryHD and A&E HD are 720p too.

Yes indeed on the poll! ;)

They haven't been trying on the 6, they are doing. Now they are trying the 7.

Not sure off hand. They could mix in 4 or 5 others if this pans out for them. Preparing for a wave to release during CES maybe?

science channel hd Varies from 720p to 1080i

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts