satillite internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lartomar2002

Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
kennedy space center
i am having a directv dish installed at my vacation rv site. can i order directv satillite internet and call and and have it turned on when i need it and then turned off when i don,t? i can call and stop, change, or start premium tv channels and i would like to know if i can do the same with the internet. thanks

i am having a directv dish installed at my vacation rv site. can i order directv satillite internet and call and and have it turned on when i need it and then turned off when i don,t? i can call and stop, change, or start premium tv channels and i would like to know if i can do the same with the internet. thanks

Satellite internet is a different service from Directv. You need a separate dish for it. Check www.hughesnet.com

DirecTV does offer internet via Satellite called Wildblue. This is a KA Band dish and requires a trained technician to install it. It requires a analog meter and APA to tune it in. Because it is a KA band dish, it must be mounted in a secure location - a trimast will NOT work. A pole will have to be used - Wildblue will not agree with any non-pin mount installation put on the ground because of a required 5 foot minimum the dish must be located off the ground. Also, wildblue does offer a temporary shut off in service for a small fee - I believe it's up to 6 months you can have temporary disconnect of service. Also, anytime this thing is moved then reused, they will require a certified technician to come out and tune it in for you. If they find out the customer touched the dish, they will remove any warranty on the equipment. Hughesnet is the same way - however, they do offer motorized computer controlled systems that can be mounted on the roof of your RV. It's a motosat type system - with a Winegard computer controller that can deploy and lock onto the satellite on it's own. These are expensive systems, though.

Sources: Certified Wildblue and Hughesnet technician.

From what I've heard satellite internet sucks even with a trained technician installing it.

Uh...depends on what you get and what you're willing to pay for. Hughesnet and Wildblue are both major companies when it comes to offering residential service. Hughesnet just now started offering their new 9000 systems that are running on a KA band - depending on what you're willing to pay for (Their plans go up to $500 a month), you can get close to a cable or T1 line. Residential, you're looking anywhere from $39-100 a month. Wildblue starts out at $49.99 a month. Wildblue is not offering out of control speeds at this point. They just now partnered with ViaSat and will be launching a new satellite in Febuary to offer T1 line speeds. The system will not be offered for upgrade until about July of next year.

ViaSat and iDirect both offer amazing fast speeds, but these are really only practical for commercial (or business) needs due to the pricing and the size of the dish. You can even do VOIP over these satellites with barely any delay in the system.

I think WildBlue is actually a ViaSat company (a sub-division) and not DirecTV offering; DirecTV is just a reseller agent. For the money; I don't think SAT or CELL delivered services are worth it. Better to just do without. :)

T1 speeds... Ugh. 1.544mbps! I have 10mbps through the cable provider. I can get more than 1.5mbps on 3G cell sites also. I guess this type of system comes in handy as a last resort when your in an area where no other options are available.

Had WildBlue for two years because only other option out in the hinterlands was dial-up. Overall, the service Hoovered big time and cost way too much. Our church also had DirectWay satellite internet and dropped it like a hot potato when DSL became available. I am now using Sprint's My-Fi which is vastly superior to either one if your area has coverage. Bonus is for $60 per month you can carry it around and use it pretty much anywhere.

i had hughnet a year before we could get dsl.satellite is better than dial up and that is all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)