Satlink WS-6906 problems among others.

Doorguru

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Florida
Hello! Brand new to the forum and I need some help. I use to be into FTA, but have not played around with it lately, since my dish has been working flawlessly for the last few years. It is mainly for my wife, who enjoys the international channels (G19, 97W). The signal was getting weak, so I took out my mentioned tuner and tweaked up my FTA signal. Mission accomplished by turning the LNBF in the holder. I should have left well enough alone. This morning, since re bitten by the bug, I got up and decided to try a different LNBF that I had lying around. When I connected it I got no signal. Decided to reinstall the old one which was quite corroded. It is an old commercial LNB made of metal. Not sure of the model, since the label is long gone. Cleaned it off with WD-40 and reinstalled it. No signal! Tried different settings and still no signal. I realized I must of damaged it when I was cleaning it, butI even tried a couple more LNBF's that I had laying around. Still no signal. The dish, an old Channel Master 1.2M SMC, is mounted solidly, so I know it didn't move. In desperation, I started blaming my tuner and started messing with the settings. I clicked on "defaut value", It asked my if I was sure, I said yes and now when I power the unit up, I get "No TV Program" instead of "No Signal". Does anyone know what I could have done? I found the updated satellite list online and updated it thinking that might be it, but it didn't help. I need to get this resolved or I might end up sleeping on the couch!

Reactions: spongella
Hello! Brand new to the forum and I need some help. I use to be into FTA, but have not played around with it lately, since my dish has been working flawlessly for the last few years. It is mainly for my wife, who enjoys the international channels (G19, 97W). The signal was getting weak, so I took out my mentioned tuner and tweaked up my FTA signal. Mission accomplished by turning the LNBF in the holder. I should have left well enough alone. This morning, since re bitten by the bug, I got up and decided to try a different LNBF that I had lying around. When I connected it I got no signal. Decided to reinstall the old one which was quite corroded. It is an old commercial LNB made of metal. Not sure of the model, since the label is long gone. Cleaned it off with WD-40 and reinstalled it. No signal! Tried different settings and still no signal. I realized I must of damaged it when I was cleaning it, butI even tried a couple more LNBF's that I had laying around. Still no signal. The dish, an old Channel Master 1.2M SMC, is mounted solidly, so I know it didn't move. In desperation, I started blaming my tuner and started messing with the settings. I clicked on "defaut value", It asked my if I was sure, I said yes and now when I power the unit up, I get "No TV Program" instead of "No Signal". Does anyone know what I could have done? I found the updated satellite list online and updated it thinking that might be it, but it didn't help. I need to get this resolved or I might end up sleeping on the couch!
Welcome to Satellite Guys Doorguru! Do you have any Diseqc switches in line? If so and the power was on when you swapped out the lnb it could have damaged the switch. Also, have you checked for voltage on the coax at the dish? If none maybe cut back the coax a few inches and put a new connector on to see if that helps.

Welcome to Satellite Guys Doorguru! Do you have any Diseqc switches in line? If so and the power was on when you swapped out the lnb it could have damaged the switch. Also, have you checked for voltage on the coax at the dish? If none maybe cut back the coax a few inches and put a new connector on to see if that helps.
No Diseqc switches and I'm getting the proper voltages. I'm right at the dish with my meter using a short piece of coax. I never checked the signal at the TV, I figured if I couldn't get a signal with the tester, then it was pointless. I played around with the tester some more and by manually programming in some of the settings, I got a weak signal. I had tried this earlier with no results, so maybe the WD40 in the LNBF is dissipating(?). I do have a lot of foliage blocking the line of site, but yesterday I had more channels. During the scan just now, with the receiver, a lot of the transponders failed, but the ones that passed have a decent signal of 80 or so. Racked up about 60 channels, while yesterday I had around 200.

No Diseqc switches and I'm getting the proper voltages. I'm right at the dish with my meter using a short piece of coax. I never checked the signal at the TV, I figured if I couldn't get a signal with the tester, then it was pointless. I played around with the tester some more and by manually programming in some of the settings, I got a weak signal. I had tried this earlier with no results, so maybe the WD40 in the LNBF is dissipating(?). I do have a lot of foliage blocking the line of site, but yesterday I had more channels. During the scan just now, with the receiver, a lot of the transponders failed, but the ones that passed have a decent signal of 80 or so. Racked up about 60 channels, while yesterday I had around 200.
Glad to here you are getting some channels back. Hopefully this will work itself out. If not, post back and hopefully someone can help figure it out. :)

Glad to here you are getting some channels back. Hopefully this will work itself out. If not, post back and hopefully someone can help figure it out. :)

Thanks much. I am getting ready to setup a slim line dish for FTA as soon as the LNBF comes in. I have found some good info on this site already that has been helpful.

Curious? Are getting the slimline to add to your set-up or to replace the channel master?
If you mean a DirecTV slim line those are really not idea for FTA and your 1.2 is many times better.

Curious? Are getting the slimline to add to your set-up or to replace the channel master?
If you mean a DirecTV slim line those are really not idea for FTA and your 1.2 is many times better.

I had the slimline dish from years ago when I experimented. I recently removed it from the side of the house and was going to toss it, but realized I might be able to use it for another place I have up north (also my COB side kicked in!). I did some research and saw that it was possible, so I accepted the challenge. I sure wish I had another 1.2 like the one I have to use up north! I got that one for free from a renovation.

Welcome doorguru. Did you make sure to adjust your skew for the best signal, assuming your dish is a stationary one? Just changing LNB should not have made that big of a difference I think. Good luck and hope you get it cleared up and keep the wife happy. A happy life is a happy wife as the saying goes.

Reactions: raydio and FTA4PA
Welcome doorguru. Did you make sure to adjust your skew for the best signal, assuming your dish is a stationary one? Just changing LNB should not have made that big of a difference I think. Good luck and hope you get it cleared up and keep the wife happy. A happy life is a happy wife as the saying goes.

When I moved here years ago there was a clear view to the sky. Now it is very overgrown with trees and bamboo. As mentioned, I am now getting some what of a signal using the original LNBF. This old metal LNBF that I reinstalled had worked great for years before I cleaned it. I can't get another to work. Maybe this LNBF I have always used is sensitive enough to overcome this line of site blockage(?)

LNB's are cheap enough, if in doubt just replace. But Mike also has a good point, make sure you are selecting the correct Local Oscillator frequency (s).

Reactions: raydio
When I moved here years ago there was a clear view to the sky. Now it is very overgrown with trees and bamboo. As mentioned, I am now getting some what of a signal using the original LNBF. This old metal LNBF that I reinstalled had worked great for years before I cleaned it. I can't get another to work. Maybe this LNBF I have always used is sensitive enough to overcome this line of site blockage(?)
Post up a few pictures of the lnbf - perhaps someone here can identify it and suggest a source for a replacement or a new one with similar specs. :)

I always set the frequency to 10750

I came home and the wife let me know that she lost all her channels again. I went out with my meter and sure enough, no signal. I removed the LNB and did the kitchen microwave test. Initally it was dead, but after tapping on it I got a microwave signal.

(I also connected the other three LNBF's that I have and all of them respond to the microwave test)

I then found a part number (1303-10052) in the casting of my mystery LNBF and googled it. The only reference I could find was a thread in this very forum. That is the exact one I have.

help identify LNBf

(I haven't read that whole thread, maybe it can shed some light)

I think my only options I have are:

Find another LNBF like my old one.(I have tried the other LNBF's and none of them can produce a signal through all the trees) This option is probably impossible.

Cut some trees down and use different brand LNBF. My property is hopelessly blocked by trees. If I took a picture of my dish, you guys would probably state:

Well Duh!! No wonder you can't get a signal!!

Let me back up a little. I have given up on my old LNBF.

I am trying to use a Fortec Star Model FSKU-V

Here is the label on the LNBF:

20200102_205116.jpg

Here is how I set up my Tuner to try and find a signal:

20200102_205059.jpg

Are my settings correct?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Yes, those are the correct settings.
Except for the fact you are on 91W. You need to set up as universal on 97W. I will add I suggest you use 12152 H 20000 as the transponder info to align the dish.
It may be time to drag the receiver and a small TV out to the dish and and double check the dish is still on as well. The way you speak though you may very well have to have some trees removed or move the dish. No matter what LNBF you use, none will work with a LOS issue. :)

Reactions: raydio and Doorguru
Except for the fact you are on 91W. You need to set up as universal on 97W. I will add I suggest you use 12152 H 20000 as the transponder info to align the dish.
It may be time to drag the receiver and a small TV out to the dish and and double check the dish is still on as well. The way you speak though you may very well have to have some trees removed or move the dish. No matter what LNBF you use, none will work with a LOS issue. :)

Yes my example was on the wrong satellite. :oops:

You have given me some good info! Thanks!
[automerge]1578026385[/automerge]
Yes, those are the correct settings.

Thanks!

Reactions: KE4EST
I know what you are going to say, but until a few days ago, I had a strong signal.

There is no hope for the 12' dish, but I think I can clear a path for the 1.2M dish.

30 years ago, the horizon was clear. The bamboo started with one tiny sprout.

No where else in the yard can I relocate the dish.

The cutting has begun !

20200103_161805.jpg

20200103_161850.jpg

20200103_173446.jpg

I know what you are going to say, but until a few days ago, I had a strong signal.

There is no hope for the 12' dish, but I think I can clear a path for the 1.2M dish.

30 years ago, the horizon was clear. The bamboo started with one tiny sprout.

The cutting has begun !

View attachment 142616

View attachment 142617

View attachment 142618
That bamboo is so aggressive. I remember a thread here where one of the members had a horrible battle with that stuff. I will post the link if I can find it. Good luck on clearing things out enough to 'see' the satellites.