Satlink WS-6980 Signal Meter/Spectrum Analyzer Review

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ever since I first put up my 1.2M C-Band Dish using the Stab 120 Motor, I have long had alignment issues. I'm usually 1 or 2 degrees off on USAL's, no matter how often I try to correct it; and the motor slop doesn't help either. :-/ I have tried to align my C-Band dish as best I could several times using the Satlink WS-6933 Signal Meters, but I'm still running into the same issues. My true south satellite is 85W but there's no C-Band on it, so I've tried to align it to 89W; as up until just recently there wasn't anything on 87W I could get either. :-/

There is a section on the Salem Communications website that says that in order to align your dish correctly with today's digital signals, it's absolutely critical to have a good quality Spectrum Analyzer. I have long tried to ignore this due to cost, but it is absolutely true!! It also says that you can not go by the signal bars alone for locking onto a signal.

I know I have a 2 degree offset dish which is fine for adjacent channels, but I'm getting more annoyed with my alignment always being off by 1 or 2. So I finally dug deep into the credit card and bought this brand new Satlink WS-6980 Signal Meter that includes a Spectrum Analyzer function! :) It delivers late Thursday.

Granted the Satlink is not exactly top commercial standards, but for the money I spent, it should still do a respectable job. I just need the Spectrum Analyzer mainly for now, I plan to enter in a good known C-Band TP for 87W and hopefully get my 1.2M dish lined up correctly on USAL's.

If the weather isn't good this weekend, I'm taking paid vacation on May 16th, so I can take more pics and post on how this new meter works. Should be pretty fancy, and comes with lots of extra features!

I also plan to double check my alignment with my 90cm Ku Dish, I've had no alignmemt issues with that at all, but wouldn't hurt to use the new meter for that too. :)

Cool stuff, I think I need to replace my Birdog serial model. I don't think it will do s-2 and a lot of birds aren't showing up. Im looking at the 6933. I think for $40 bucks its worth a shot. I don't really need some of the advanced features right now. I just need something that will go off when I go by every bird.

Cool stuff, I think I need to replace my Birdog serial model. I don't think it will do s-2 and a lot of birds aren't showing up. Im looking at the 6933. I think for $40 bucks its worth a shot. I don't really need some of the advanced features right now. I just need something that will go off when I go by every bird.

Yeah, I looked at the Birdog Meters a few years ago, and it didn't seem like it would do all that I would need, so I passed on it.

The other nice thing about the 6933, is not only can you actually view the channel your tuning in, but the 6933 also includes an HDMI Input. So if you have a Dish or Directv Reciever, just connect the HDMI Cable from the meter to the reciever, press the AVS Button on the meter to HDMI, and now you can see the Dish or Directv reciever menus on the meter; if you took everything outside. Not everybody knows the HDMI Input feature is on that meter. It came in handy when I needed to see if I was getting a signal and had to run the dish motor from the reciever at the same time for my FTA Reciever.

But for my Directv Dish, instead of getting screwed around with a tech that wouldn't show up, I bought a new Directv Advanced Installation Meter Model 1.5. I had my Directv Dish aligned and ready to go within a good 30 minutes. It does all of the diagnostics too, which helps to read the instructions included on the USB Flash Drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: olliec420
ChrisCromwell thanks for the great review of the Satlink meter, had one of their earlier (8906) versions and used it for many years. As for the bugs, no harm would come if you bring it to the company's attention. When I purchased my 8Dtek Desired satellite meter there were a few bugs, sent that info over to the company and they worked 'em out and updated the software which could be downloaded by users. Nothing beats having one of those meters at the dish with a screen to view the programs. Enjoy the new meter.

P.S. Watching TV on the roof brings chuckles from the neighbors :)

i wonder if these do the same as they can be edited with software pretty fast

memory wont be needed as you change from one setting to the next as you can program it from the list on computer

second i wonder if the spectrum is as good in these

supported devices:
-WS-6922
-WS-6926
-WS-6930
-WS-6932
-WS-7009

they are 300 dollar meters
as u go up

i know gina sells them for the same as uk

i dont know where to go on that but that they both sell them

any suggestinf if anyone has one of those

i already have the software you need to be amember to have it
and i didnt fidn it as mememb er

i will aim for the 6932 but im pretty sure you can work around the universal lnb withe those
or just in put the setting on the device

i know that can be fustrating

any suggestion on how they work before i buy one

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts